Notices

Im so happy to have found SR

Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im so happy to have found SR

Sober for day 3 and I am feeling better all ready. I had the shakes only slightly today and an excellent sleep last night surprisingly enough. I have my first AA meeting in a year tomorrow night after work. I actually admitted to my friend and my mom today about the extent of my drinking, and they both agreed I need to get help. It is not just ME and MY life but the lives of my 2 kids I need to change for. For years I have made excuses why I cant get sober like upcoming events, not feeling "fun" anymore, that I would loose all my friends...and so on and so on. I guess all the things us alcoholics use to justify our drinking. I have decided not to go to my cousins stag and doe this weekend ( I will tell everybody I am sick) And I have made sober plans for my birthday with my kids and my pregnant friend. If I can stick to it this will be my first sober birthday I have had in 12 years and I am only 28. I am soooo happy for finding SR it has made me feel like I am not alone and just reading everyone's experiences and hearing such encouraging words makes me want to grab on to sobriety. I will finally get a sponsor this time around and ask somebody to help me understand the AA program as I have not in the past. I need to do this for my kids. They deserve a full mother and I look forward to meeting my true self. Thank you to everyone on this site. God bless and I hope that sometime in the near future I can be a success story like so many of you.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're right about this site being encouraging and helpful. I come here every day to read and post. It helps me stay sober to help others stay sober.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to see you're moving forward tired - you can do this

D
Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Tired! I felt the same way. So happy you found us, you're not alone anymore.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi tired! It was so good to read your positive post. We're very happy to have you with us.

I love what you said about looking forward to meeting your true self. I was much older when I finally met mine - and I really like her. You're doing great - congrats on your Day 3.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome change,
You sound ready for change and have some plans in place This is a great place to look for support, we understand how hard it is. We too, want you to have a happy and sober birthday
Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. I am on day 2 and relate to a lot of what you said. For the longest time I used to think I was much more fun when I was drunk. I realized lately that I'm actually probably just mean, annoying and embarrassing in the eyes of my friends.

I too used upcoming social events as an excuse not to quit after a bad binging weekend. "Even tho i behaved stupidly last night, i can't go to x party next weekend and not drink" is probably a sentence I've said many many times over the last few years. I guess you could say that upcoming social events kind of acted like an 'alcohol safety blanket' for me.

I too haven't had a sober birthday in ages. Probably nine years of drunk birthdays in a row for me.

I hope you find some help here on SR. I recommend downloading the app. It keeps you constantly engaged with the forums which has helped me thus far in my short recovery time.

All the best to you!