Notices

Had my last drink tonight.....I hope!!!?

Old 06-17-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had my last drink tonight.....I hope!!!?

I had drunk some wine fri night and left about a glass full in the bottle...it's been sitting in the fridge till tonight...and I drank it. Now there is absolutely no alcohol in the house at all.
When I drank it it tasted so good and a part of me tried to convince myself that I didn't have a problem. Altho I don't feel like going out to get another bottle I would drink more if it was here....

I would like to post back here in a week and report back that I have not bought more wine and hve not drunk any thing. Whether or not I will b able to do that scares the hell out of me. The power of it is so frightening to me. Somebody tell me that they have done this. Give me hope that there is an end to this, this night, the beginning for me.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You can certainly make this your last drink - countless people have and many more will. SR is a great place to learn about how too.

I have a suggestion - rather than waiting a week to come back, why not post here each day? The accountability of SR works wonders for some. Best of luck!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do it bird one day one hour one minute at a time. You cannot get drunk if you don't have that first drink. That's all you have to remember just don't buy anymore today and worry about tomorrow when it comes.

You can do this keep posting get active in the site that will give you something positive to focus I on. We are all here we have and some still are right when you are. I know myself I battle every day with this stuff but I love my family to much to give in right now to the easy road.

I will get easier each day each small victory you so build your willpower muscle back up.

Keep posting keep going let's do this.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott. Trouble is..I know I can not drink every night, it's the long term too I kno I will alway battle with. And when I'm drinking...I just do not stop. I wish so hard I could be normal
Old 06-17-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Bird82 View Post
Thanks Scott. Trouble is..I know I can not drink every night, it's the long term too I kno I will alway battle with. And when I'm drinking...I just do not stop. I wish so hard I could be normal
Just worry about today for now. And yes, it's something you will deal with the rest of your life, just like all of us who have quit will. The difference is that you just learn how to live without drinking - and it's better, by a long shot.

For now though just worry about not drinking today. And then worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes.

You may want to seek some local help too -there's most likely an AA or NA meeting somewhere close by.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you afraid of withdrawal? Do you need medical assistance? Please tell us more.

Not coming back for a week? That's your addiction talking..not you.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm doing it right now. We CAN do this. You and I and all the others here, no matter whether it's day one or day 1000, we can choose to say no, for at least the next 24 hours. Take it one hour or one minute at a time. I, too, want that normal. It's an active process. You need to find other things to do besides take that first drink. I made a list. It really does help, even though it's just a small thing. And posting here is a wonderful redirection tool.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes I'm afraid of withdrawal.i scared of getting headaches and feeling like sh.i.t ... Scott I went to my first AA meeting last night. I listened but did not speak. And I plan on going back next week.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes I'm afraid of withdrawal.i scared of getting headaches and feeling like sh.i.t ... Scott I went to my first AA meeting last night. I listened but did not speak. And I plan on going back next week.
Next week again? Can you call a medical professional about withdrawal? I don't know the extent of your dependence but its calling the shots here. It's telling you IT's scared of headaches and feeling like crap.

I gotta bow out of this thread. IT hasn't arsekicked you enough. You need support, encouragement and love..but I feel like I'm talking to your addiction here...and not precious you who wants to get sober.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Next week again? Can you call a medical professional about withdrawal? I don't know the extent of your dependence but its calling the shots here. It's telling you IT's scared of headaches and feeling like crap.

I gotta bow out of this thread. IT hasn't arsekicked you enough. You need support, encouragement and love..but I feel like I'm talking to your addiction here...and not precious you who wants to get sober.
Does my post sound like I'm not ready ? I feel like I am ready but now your post has kinda freaked me out..., no offence .
Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes it does. Please prove me wrong.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"You need to find other things to do besides take that first drink. I made a list. It really does help, even though it's just a small thing".

I'm not sure how this posting thing works yet but the sentence above is a quote from Strawberryblond.

Can you tell me what kind of list you made for yourself? A list of what? Sound very interesting to me!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes it does. Please prove me wrong.
Trust me I would love to, but I can't make any promises, even to myself, but I'm here and I want to stop..so it's a start. For me anyway.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What is your plan to cease alcohol use entirely?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pledge4life View Post
"You need to find other things to do besides take that first drink. I made a list. It really does help, even though it's just a small thing".

I'm not sure how this posting thing works yet but the sentence above is a quote from Strawberryblond.

Can you tell me what kind of list you made for yourself? A list of what? Sound very interesting to me!
I think it's a list of things to do so you don't drink . Tonight instead of going out getting some more wine I have done my ironing and come on here for support.
Tomorrow I'm at work all day and husband is out......it's a night where I would usually drink a bottle of wine. I work in town so hav access to it so the pull will be strong tomorrow.. Then I have to get through the evening WITHOUT wine whilst hubby is out. That I am already stressing out about, which makes me Want a drink.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Trust me I would love to, but I can't make any promises, even to myself, but I'm here and I want to stop..so it's a start. For me anyway.
Glad you are here. Going to the AA meeting was a good idea too.

Like others have alluded to though, you don't stand a chance of getting sober unless you commit to it 100% It won't be pleasant at first because your body has to get through the initial withdrawal. There is really no avoiding that, but it's only temporary.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Welcome to SR Bird?
Why don't you join us in the 24hrs club as a starter? Maybe a lifetime abstinence is scary but I am pretty sure that you could stay sober just for another 24 hours. Right?
The first few days will be difficult but after that it gets much easier. Together WE can do it.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-6-a-19.html

Edited to add: Why not schedule a very long evening walk after work with that cute doggie of yours? Exercise will take your mind of booze, will make him/her happy and by the time you get home, you ll be tired enough to go straight to bed Quite a few people on the SR board have walked their dogs a LOT in early sobriety..seems to work.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think it's a list of things to do so you don't drink . Tonight instead of going out getting some more wine I have done my ironing and come on here for support.
Tomorrow I'm at work all day and husband is out......it's a night where I would usually drink a bottle of wine. I work in town so hav access to it so the pull will be strong tomorrow.. Then I have to get through the evening WITHOUT wine whilst hubby is out. That I am already stressing out about, which makes me Want a drink.
Try not to anticipate the future. Deal with the right now every second. Stay sober in the present. Face each situation as they come. Be open to sobriety every moment because it is a gift you are giving yourself. Keep loading up on the "presents" sober. I just wake up and face each day and each situation before me..sober. Don't freak yourself out with the future.

Once again..it's your addiction talking to you about the future. It's freaking out.
But make that list.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What is your plan to cease alcohol use entirely?
I am going to AA and I have s
3 numbers of members I met who I can call when and if I need to any time. I had a welcome pack with some leaflets and I have done a bit of reading.
My plan is to keep busy. In the evenings when hubby is home instead of drinking of ging out to buy drink I will go for a walk, come on here, call my contacts. Is there any advice u could give me ?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Drink a lot of fluids and start taking vitamins, us alcoholics tend to be deficient especially with vitamin Bs. I started taking Gaba supplements to help with anxiety too. More importantly, make sure there is no alcohol in the house and don't drink no matter what.
Tomorrow is Tuesday and I know that Opivotal is facilitating a cyber meeting in the chat room on SR, you might want to pop up. It's really a nice meeting and I wish I was not working and could attend.