Notices

Had my last drink tonight.....I hope!!!?

Old 06-17-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Bird82 View Post
And when I'm drinking...I just do not stop. I wish so hard I could be normal
I can totally relate to that one! I can't stop either once I start. I have never ever been able to throw it away, pour it down the drain etc.

There really can be an end to it. It isn't easy. I am at 330 days now Bird and I never thought I would make it this far. But I did it. If I can do it so can you.

I was terrified to quit and I was scared I wouldn't make it. You can do this, deep inside of you, you have the strength.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you I will defo get on there. Thx
Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
I can totally relate to that one! I can't stop either once I start. I have never ever been able to throw it away, pour it down the drain etc.

There really can be an end to it. It isn't easy. I am at 330 days now Bird and I never thought I would make it this far. But I did it. If I can do it so can you.

I was terrified to quit and I was scared I wouldn't make it. You can do this, deep inside of you, you have the strength.
Wow you are nearly a year in!!! That must feel fantastic , well done !!! I wish I could fast forward.....
Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
When I drank it it tasted so good and a part of me tried to convince myself that I didn't have a problem.

I would like to post back here in a week and report back that I have not bought more wine and hve not drunk any thing. Whether or not I will b able to do that scares the hell out of me. The power of it is so frightening to me.

Somebody tell me that they have done this. Give me hope that there is an end to this, this night, the beginning for me.
Hi, Bird.

Been there, done that - wine was my poison of choice as well. I liked it taste. But the more I stayed sober the less I craved it taste. I rarely if ever do it now.

Don't hope - be sure! Take one day at a time, don't overwhelm yourself.

It has now power until you give it yours.

I did this, free of wine for 8 months by now. Life is much better without it.

You can do it. Absolutely.

Best luck to you)
Old 06-17-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Freedom--May--2012

Bird
I worry you are setting yourself up to fail. Romanticizing about your last glass of wine--tasted so good--well that wonderful glass of wine, you want so bad, is the reason you are in this predicament. Start calling it what it is -poison,swill,life destroyer, not WONDERFUL TASTING! Your addiction is dictating your life right now. You can have it back by denying it its wonderful tasting wine.....I know, very hard, nothing worth having or doing is usually easy. You can do this --one day at a time-- make it today and your pay-off stone cold sober sleep--bliss--eventually no night sweats, nightmares, waking up, not coming too. Take care, post daily and read here it forces you to look at your addiction.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Wow you are nearly a year in!!! That must feel fantastic , well done !!! I wish I could fast forward.....
Thank you! I do feel good about it. I have all kinds of feelings about coming up to a year. I'm happy, excited, scared, anxious all kinds of feelings.

Yes, I wanted to fast forward when I started too. The beginning is really the worst, but it really does get better the longer you stay sober. There are ways to deal with the cravings and get thru them.

I'm a big fan of one day at a time. It got me thru the bad times. I even did it at a minute at a time if I had to.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I understand what Nuudawn is saying. I personally could not say, ok, today I've decided to not drink anymore so see you next week! The desire is too strong each day and I need support and reinforcement daily to not drink, at least in the early stages that I am in. Perhaps you are different.

That's great that you went to a meeting. I have not done that yet but looked up meeting times today. I do read this board many times a day, and post when I'm wanting a drink. I find the support here to be great and non-judgemental. I also post in the 24 hour thread holding myself accountable for each new day.

I hope that helps a little. Good luck keeping busy - I've been trying to do the same!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well I'm here, I did not buy wine whilst I was at work in town today and hubby is no out till later....I have no wine in the house, at the moment I feel ok , once the kids are in bed tho i ay feel differnent
Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Christ I want a drink , what stops this craving?!!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Bird hang tough. Cravings usually only last from 20 - 40 minutes. Surf the site here, post if you have to, read others stories. Tell yourself you don't need it right now.

Tell that addictive voice to bugger off!

I found reading and playing my video games also helped. Find something that you have put off and do it.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well I did all my ironing last night, wish I had left some now so I could do that. Going to make a cup of tea in a minute.. Thank you for posting I appreciate it.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

No problem, you can also PM me anytime. I'm not on 24/7, but I do check in here thru out the day everyday.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Christ I want a drink , what stops this craving?!!!!
Take a look at Urge Surfing:

Urge Surfing – Relapse Prevention – Mindfulness

If you can practice this technique, the urges will lessen in time. I also use nutrition/vitamins as part of my recovery plan... I believe the vitamins have helped me tremendously!

But the number #1 priority right now is to want sobriety more than you want the alcohol. You can approach this with the ODAAT (one day at a time) mentality or a forever mentality, both ways seem to work.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hubby just got home, it's bad that I want to ask him to get me so wine. I know he won't which is good but I feel so **** ,
Old 06-18-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

If urge surfing is not working, try rechanneling your obsession. Think about a food you really love like chocolate and start focusing your mind on it. Close your eyes, visualize it, taste it, tell yourself you want it and are craving it over and over like a mantra and keep doing it until you finally indulge in it.
I forgot the name of that technique but it does work.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am off to bed, so I can say I did it, tonight for now. I should be feeling pleased and proud but I don't I feel tired, grouchy uptight and well that's it. Thk you for your support tonight xxx
Old 06-18-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Bird, you made it through the day. Well done! That's what you have to keep on doing, just make it through the day. When I think of never ever ever ever drinking again it looks like a huge impossible mountain. So instead I think about not drinking TODAY, and that is easier. I won't say EASY, but I will say EASIER.

I'm only on day 18. But already, I think I notice a difference in myself as not drinking becomes more "normal". Your craving and crankiness is a combination of physical and mental withdrawal. You won't feel like this every day. When your system starts to clear out you'll actually start to feel amazing!

I need support to make this happen for me - I can't do it on my own. Initially, feeling that I couldn't do it on my own felt like crap. It meant that I was weak, powerless. Who wants to feel like that?

But when I started actively seeking that help, I started to feel better. Rather than feeling weak, I felt SUPPORTED. I allow myself to lean on that support, its freely given to me and genuinely meant. For me, that support comes in the form of this forum and AA meetings. That might work for you too, or you might have different support systems that work better for you.

But you have to WANT this. You have to WANT the support. You have to ALLOW the support into your life. If you can do that, you can win.

Anyway, I wish you every sucess. Keep posting on here, stay active on the board, and I'll see you around!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Bird

The first days are not easy - but it will get better - use the support you'll find here

There's a number of Group Threads to join, if you're so inclined, there's the Class of June,

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pt-2-a-10.html

the Under 30 days thread
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-them-19.html

and Pamels all in thread
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...equired-3.html
Old 06-19-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you, I do want this,,,,but it doesn't help that I am under so much stress with my 2 kids at the moment, I am close to the edge of not being able to cope for much longer and wine was my support for this, it s my crutch , without this what do I lean on???!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

another ipswich bod checking in! i am just starting day 3. I was so out of control I was killing myself and nearly lost everything. I don't know how things will go for me, but if you're going to that AA meeting again I might tag along sometime.

Small world!!