Notices

kindling length

Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

kindling length

I am looking for information about the kindling process in benzo withdrawal. Does anyone have any literature (links) that say anything about the kindling process being longer after each successive withdrawal. I know that each withdrawal is more intense but I have not been able to find anything about the length of each successive withdrawal being "longer" or a different length.

Also if anyone has any personal experience with kindling and could give their own view on this would be helpful.

Anyone?

Thanks, Robb
Old 06-17-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LDT

Hi Robb,

I don't know if this helps or not, but I just Googled "Kindling Effect". There is a lot of information on line. I was sober ( alcohol was DOC) for 18+ months when I "planned" my relapse. I wanted to see if I could moderate . That was pretty much an exercise in futility because within a few short weeks I was right back at square one.... And in some respects even worse. My insomnia, A-fib, and eating disorder kicked in so fast I could hardly believe it. Prior to my "experiment" I thought the Kindling Effect was just a fabricated scare tactic to keep us off the booze. But i was so wrong...my experience proved to me that it was REAL, and it was so scary and intense that I never want to go through that again. It's just not worth it. I'm now happily many months into my 2nd stint of sobriety.

I wish you well.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Hi Robb,

I don't know if this helps or not, but I just Googled "Kindling Effect". There is a lot of information on line. I was sober ( alcohol was DOC) for 18+ months when I "planned" my relapse. I wanted to see if I could moderate . That was pretty much an exercise in futility because within a few short weeks I was right back at square one.... And in some respects even worse. My insomnia, A-fib, and eating disorder kicked in so fast I could hardly believe it. Prior to my "experiment" I thought the Kindling Effect was just a fabricated scare tactic to keep us off the booze. But i was so wrong...my experience proved to me that it was REAL, and it was so scary and intense that I never want to go through that again. It's just not worth it. I'm now happily many months into my 2nd stint of sobriety.

I wish you well.
Thanks LDT,

Yeah it's def real...this is my 6th time through a benzo kindling so I can tell you it is VERY VERY real!! Good luck to you too. =)

Robert
Old 06-17-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would imagine that just like anything, it varies from person to person. Are you experiencing withdrawals now?
Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I would imagine that just like anything, it varies from person to person. Are you experiencing withdrawals now?
Yes! Aweful wd. I am 68 days off benzos after having several convulsions and all the symptoms I could find. Aweful aweful aweful. been kindled 6 times and it surely gets worse every time.

Thanks for responding. I am a vikings fan though lol.

Robb
Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Robertgrudin View Post
Yes! Aweful wd. I am 68 days off benzos after having several convulsions and all the symptoms I could find. Aweful aweful aweful. been kindled 6 times and it surely gets worse every time.

Thanks for responding. I am a vikings fan though lol.

Robb
Hopefully you can find some help here at SR in conjunction with whatever other recovery methods you are using to make this your last withdrawal.

And I do truly mean that in spite of the fact that you are a fan of the Purple.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hopefully you can find some help here at SR in conjunction with whatever other recovery methods you are using to make this your last withdrawal.

And I do truly mean that in spite of the fact that you are a fan of the Purple.
Appreciate the welcome Scott in spite of the fact that you are a fan of the green =) So far I am not using any recovery methods other than a few chat rooms. I am so shortly out of acute that I don't think I could have even made a meeting in person. My addiction was doctor induced and I'm a little confused weather or not I need NA. I do not even think about using, in fact I wasn't even a drinker before the benzos but I have a feeling that I do need some support and to be around ppl that are going through the same thing as me. It's rough to find out that the supposed med you were taking for 12 yrs was just an aweful drug that destroyed your life! Argh.

Robb
Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Robertgrudin View Post
Appreciate the welcome Scott in spite of the fact that you are a fan of the green =) So far I am not using any recovery methods other than a few chat rooms. I am so shortly out of acute that I don't think I could have even made a meeting in person. My addiction was doctor induced and I'm a little confused weather or not I need NA. I do not even think about using, in fact I wasn't even a drinker before the benzos but I have a feeling that I do need some support and to be around ppl that are going through the same thing as me. It's rough to find out that the supposed med you were taking for 12 yrs was just an aweful drug that destroyed your life! Argh.

Robb
If you have access to NA meetings that certainly wouldn't hurt. I believe they even have online meetings ( someone recently posted a link but I dont' remember..help anyone? ) . Regardless of how you started using ( doctor, self, etc. ) the resulting addiction is the same. I don't use a formal plan like AA but i do find reading the Big Book helpful..and it is also widely available online.

Sobriety is a good thing when it can unite Viking and Packer fans for a common cause.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you have access to NA meetings that certainly wouldn't hurt. I believe they even have online meetings ( someone recently posted a link but I dont' remember..help anyone? ) . Regardless of how you started using ( doctor, self, etc. ) the resulting addiction is the same. I don't use a formal plan like AA but i do find reading the Big Book helpful..and it is also widely available online.

Sobriety is a good thing when it can unite Viking and Packer fans for a common cause.
I just moved to upstate NY and I had to leave my truck behind and am looking for a new used car here in the area...afterwards I will search out NA. I have been to the NA online meetings but they are a little weird as just text.

I'm praying that your QB breaks his ankle this yr. LMAO =) I think this whole withdrawal experience has me finally believing in god as I was agnostic before it.

Sure do appreciate the warm welcome.

Robb
Old 06-17-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful

NA has online chat and meetings. Just go to the NA.org site.

Direct link:

NA Chatroom

Oops I see you've already tried the online meetings. I will leave the link in case anyone else wants it.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I've experienced the Kindeling effect as well. When I went back out then sobered up again, I felt the effects for a long time. Perhaps it would be good for you to see a new doctor if the one that continuously supplied you with benzos is your regular doctor.

I also came in here to say that you can recover, even if you're a Vikings fan. Go Pack Go!
Old 06-17-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know nothing about this whatsoever but I wanted to welcome you Robert...so....welcome

D
Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am keeping my replies short because I can hardly stay still from this burning skin (lol) but I sure do appreciate it ppl. =)

Robb