Notices

Starting Over

Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Over

Alright, I've tried to not drink for the past few weeks, and have kept failing and failing. I haven't drank since yesterday afternoon, and am going to continue to keep trying not to. Here's to the start of a (hopefully) sober future!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Please join us in the 24 hour club. It's a thread where we sign in and commit to not drink/drug for 24 hours.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-6-a.html
Old 06-17-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're here and that you are committed to stopping drinking.

You will find lots of support here.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratultions on trying to quit. It took me a while to unlearn a learned behavior such as drinking. I, too, tried many times and failed.
I joined here quite awhile ago, and have been sober two and a half years. Years of misery and anxiety.
Just don't pick up that first drink for today. That's my mantra.
Keep posting and it's great to have you here.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Congrats on Day 1 , now on to day 2. Slipping is not Failure . Not trying again would be. Keep it going
Old 06-17-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey MM..I reminded of the old adage..if first you don't succeed..try, try again. Addiction is an SOB and the personal profile extends much further than just alcohol. In my mind, it has a whole lot to do with self-loathing and a low frustration tolerance due to the absence of coping mechanisms. And how do we learn coping mechanisms or how to navigate life if we stay drunk? We don't. I come from addiction origins. My father gave up smoking and drinking around the time I was born due to health reasons BUT he didn't not give up the roots of why. He never gave up compulsive gambling. As I struggled through life..smoking and drinking his message was basically..I did...you need willpower. The message I got was that I was weak and worthless because I couldn't just give up those vices like he did. He was a dry drunk still battling his addictive nature. It destroyed his marriage and although an accountant..he is penniless, living on pensions in a crap apartment. He won't buy meat.because it's expensive. He is 6ft 2 and about 140 pounds. Did he heal..nope. My mom was a garden variety co-dependent. There is so much here to get at other than...alcohol. I believe its in roots of shame that started growing a long, long time ago.

Please know that you are a worthy human being important to likely much more people you know. You have NO IDEA what you're contribution may do for another in this life. You are important...and you have to start believing that down deep in your soul. I wish you love and hope that you will get through this day..sober. And tomorrow deal with that when it comes.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To it not easy but it can be done pray for me that I stay on my path of a sober life after many years of drinking I really feel good right now making my 1st step in changing my life
Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the posts guys. Unfortunately, I messed up again. But I've been sober since about 8pm last night. I just feel exhausted. I'm done with all of this. I really need to be. If I cave again I think I'm going to start looking at getting outside help. It doesn't help that I've been on vacation, but I go home today so I'm really going to have to make an effort. On the upside, at least there's no alcohol at my house.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back mmc

maybe instead of just 'trying again' you need to do something different?
can you think of things you can add to help keep you sober?

more support? changes to your lifestyle?

D