Notices

First post - Xanax withdrawals

Old 06-18-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Katt - first, what you are doing takes courage and strength and I admire your resolve.

Don't let a pharmacist derail your or your doctor's plan to get to sobriety. Have your doctor call them and explain. If they still give you a problem you might want to consider another pharmacy.

Fight for yourself and your sobriety. There is nothing to be ashamed of and you are not a junkie, you just happen to be addicted to Xanax. Take your life back from those pills and don't let anyone get in your way.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWillWin View Post
Katt - first, what you are doing takes courage and strength and I admire your resolve.

Don't let a pharmacist derail your or your doctor's plan to get to sobriety. Have your doctor call them and explain. If they still give you a problem you might want to consider another pharmacy.

Fight for yourself and your sobriety. There is nothing to be ashamed of and you are not a junkie, you just happen to be addicted to Xanax. Take your life back from those pills and don't let anyone get in your way.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Thank you so much for your words. That makes me feel much better.
I was considering going back to the pharmacy and asking for my written prescription back. Do you think that's a bad idea? I'm so angry that I was honest and resolved and treated that way. And, I'll be really honest, dying at the idea of another day spent like this.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Katt. The pharmacist is just doing what he or she is legally bound to do. I lost a prescription one time (still half full) and my doctor called another in for me but my doctor forgot to add "may fill early". So, same thing happened to me. The pharmacist however was happy to call my doctor and the doctor was happy to fax the prescription with the instructions "may fill early".

You'll get this sorted out. You're doing great even if it doesn't feel like it right now.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Katt a call to your Dr's office should resolve this quickly.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The dr resolved the issue. So now I'm on 37.5 Effexor and 2 mg daily of Xanax. I just really need to be able to stop dosing more than once daily on the Xanax. I am praying the Effexor helps me "crave" it less.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

When I detoxed off xanax, I was given lithium in tapering doses for 5 days. I was inpatient and wasn't uncomfortable for one minute. Initially I was frightened to be there but once I acclimated I got to know some friends and had a nice time (I'm not kidding, the laughter therapy there was amazing to my spirit). I laughed harder than I had in years! If only you could go inpatient.... could you need to go on a "work trip"? That's what I did for 5 days. No one knew.

As long as you are still taking the xanax I don't think Effexor will stop the cravings. It's like a vicious cycle when you are on the come down off the xanax, it mimics anxiety and makes you want another one before it is time for your next dose.

Best wishes to you! I think you're going to get this done, you sound resolved!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mygirlchandler View Post
When I detoxed off xanax, I was given lithium in tapering doses for 5 days. I was inpatient and wasn't uncomfortable for one minute. Initially I was frightened to be there but once I acclimated I got to know some friends and had a nice time (I'm not kidding, the laughter therapy there was amazing to my spirit). I laughed harder than I had in years! If only you could go inpatient.... could you need to go on a "work trip"? That's what I did for 5 days. No one knew.

As long as you are still taking the xanax I don't think Effexor will stop the cravings. It's like a vicious cycle when you are on the come down off the xanax, it mimics anxiety and makes you want another one before it is time for your next dose.

Best wishes to you! I think you're going to get this done, you sound resolved!
I guess I wouldn't know how to even get into a rehab..., insurance, time off work, etc. I'm not opposed to it, the idea of being surrounded by help and people who are going through the same thing is comforting.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katt1825 View Post

I guess I wouldn't know how to even get into a rehab..., insurance, time off work, etc. I'm not opposed to it, the idea of being surrounded by help and people who are going through the same thing is comforting.
That is the hard part. I work full time too but I talked to my boss and told him I need to go inpatient so we are working it out. I will probably be in as early as Tuesday, though I wish I could just go now. I sleep 10-12 hours a day and feel terrible but refuse to take more. It's clear my body is tolerant and needs more to feel normal but I won't give in so it feels like I haven't taken any. What a wonderful drug.

But, you went a week without any. You're clearly a strong person. I can't even go 24 hours. You'll get through this. Just keep your mind focused on healing.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I had a similar incident with another prescription - they said the INSURANCE needed to talk to the DR or they wouldn't pay/fill it - its a new thing insurances are trying to do to get out of "paying for medications" - so they want the DR to write this long epitaph of WHY you need it - I think it was for my Temazepan (sleeping med) and they do it for other controlled substances. Did you ask the pharmacist if it's the insurance or they won't fill because of the DR issue - I was like fine I'll just pay for it - and they gave it to me. They said if in the future I want the insurance to pay for it - I'd have to the DR office fill out that stupid form.