Notices

Back at it again ...

Old 06-16-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back at it again ...

Managed to remain sober for over 4 months ... after my DUI. Moved to a new town and state almost 2 weeks ago ... haven't been able to find work and honestly it just made me feel really down. Of course I convinced myself that one night of drinking wouldn't hurt ... well $300.00 later in tabs and a total blackout. I've reached the same conclusion again ... I can't drink at all. Remember starting out at the house ... and pretty sure i went to every bar in this small town last night. Now binge drinking is one of my biggest problems ... additionally I say some really crazy stuff when I blackout. Just hopin I didn't offend anyone too much on my past adventure ...

Also wondering if anyone else on here experiences some level of paranoia and intense anxiety attacks after they start drying out the next day?
Old 06-16-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back

I think most of us do DM - I certainly did.
It really is true that you never need to feel this way again

so..what now? whats the plan to stay sober?

D
Old 06-16-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, the anxiety was horrible, just horrible. I will never forget it and I never want to go through that again.

I hope you get back on track and good luck on job-hunting.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I experience pretty bad anxiety after a night of heavy drinking. I hope you can get back on the right track soon. Sending you good vibes.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice and support guys ...

Honestly my first objective is removing ( down the drain ) all the booze in this house. Secondly I am gonna have to change my routine ... no more walking past bars ... and accepting I have to completely abstain from all alcohol ...
Old 06-16-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dumping the booze is a good idea. I hope this is your last day one and that you can stay sober this time.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Passing the bar is great for more than just law students

I think the anxiety and self loathing are pretty universal. When my brother quit drinking he said the best part was waking up and not scratching his head wondering what happened the night before. I agree, waking up and knowing everything you did and said, and knowing you didn't take any stupid risks is really good for the soul after the chaos of drinking.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Yes I had high anxiety too. It's tough to not when you don't remember the events of last night and you feel physically awful.

Its funny sometimes I still wake up and think for a split second 'what did I do or say last night?'...until I realize I'm sober and I still remember those events.

Anyhow you had 4 months. How did you do it? Do that again and maybe throw something additional into the mix.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yikes...$300? Pricey experiment : ). Well, now you know huh? I wish I knew how to save threads cuz this would be a good one to paste into something debating that age old question...I've been sober ____ months/years and Ii'm thinking I can handle drinking again.

I imagine the DUI shook you up and shamed you..so you quit. Have you thought about what a sober life will look like for you? Have you made a list of reasons as what benefits sobriety will bring? How did those 4 months feel? Did you like yourself better..

How long were you thinking about drinking before you actually did?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
Passing the bar is great for more than just law students

I think the anxiety and self loathing are pretty universal. When my brother quit drinking he said the best part was waking up and not scratching his head wondering what happened the night before. I agree, waking up and knowing everything you did and said, and knowing you didn't take any stupid risks is really good for the soul after the chaos of drinking.
...this is so me that it's frightening-
Old 06-16-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Freedom--May--2012

Anxiety and panic attacks were all I was left with after 20 years of drinking. Sober or not it did not matter, panic and attack were my constant companions. Been sober for a year no panic attacks either. Anxiety is in check also, had that since birth, can't blame that on alcohol but levels are much more manageable since quitting.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks every body for the support and responses ....

Day 2 is alot easier this time around ... bounced back alot quicker. Tryin to just get up movin ... Plus gotta find any job I can soon. At this point I have to find what ever I can ...

Would you like fries with that? lol ... Paper or plastic.

Got find a new path ... bc my DUI cost me my other job. Can't drive the company vehicles ...

Will check soon ...