SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi I'm new looking for support in stopping my drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/297978-hi-im-new-looking-support-stopping-my-drinking.html)

Bird82 06-16-2013 10:13 AM

Hi I'm new looking for support in stopping my drinking

Hi, bit scary but I am going to my first AA meeting tonight and have found this too, I hope I can stop my drinking before I hurt myself or somebody I love.

Jeni26 06-16-2013 10:24 AM

Hi Bird82 and welcome to SR. This is a great place to find advice and support.
It has been a lifeline for me.

You're not far from me...just a trip up the A.12! I hope you enjoy your meeting tonight. Don't forget to let them know you're a newcomer, they will all be only too pleased to help x

Pondlady 06-16-2013 10:28 AM

Welcome Bird,
Good luck with the AA meeting tonight and I know you'll find lots of support here:)

Sasha4 06-16-2013 10:31 AM

You have my support!

We have all been in your shoes.
We all did our first AA meeting too at some point.
So we understand.

Make sure you come back and tell us how you got on.....good or bad.

Glad you found us.

My best to you
xx

least 06-16-2013 11:10 AM

:welcome to the family! You've made a wise choice to quit drinking. Sobriety rocks!:)

hypochondriac 06-16-2013 12:20 PM

Welcome to SR Bird :) x

newpower 06-16-2013 12:23 PM

welcome bird in New too we can do this. I've found this site helpful for advice and keeping me focused on sobriety it's only early days for me but I know it can be done. let's do this.

Steven567 06-16-2013 01:36 PM

Goodluck Bird, I to have just found this site and am glad i did. Im in my early days with another stint of trying to stay sober, it is a challenge but with at least some type of support available this time around im confident ill last longer this time. Let us know how things turn out.

yukonm 06-16-2013 01:44 PM

Welcome!!

Bird82 06-16-2013 01:51 PM

Wow thank you for all replying to my post.

Well the meeting was nerve racking but yes I was made to feel very welcome. Held It together, didnt speak just listened...but at the end a couple of ladies cAme up to me and asked how I was and go I found the meeting and I just burst into tears, it all came out, how I felt a failure as a mum for letting my children my darling children who I would be nothing without down, guilty for every hung over day I wasted with them doing nothing. I questioned whether I had a probem....and I know realised Yes I do, I cannot control the amount I drink No matter how hard I try. I will be going back. I want to be a good mum and wife. I worry that I will be a boring person when I'm not drinking.....and That scares me. But one step at a time. Tonight after the meeting I came home did my ironing and came on here, so far tonight I have not had a drink.

Hollyanne 06-16-2013 01:56 PM

Welcome Bird!
A good start today!!!
SR and AA!
You are on the right road.
I am sure you are a lovely mother!

yukonm 06-16-2013 01:57 PM

Thanks for checking in and letting us know how the meeting went. I am glad that you recognize that you have a problem and are willing to get some help. Keep coming here and posting. I would like to invite you to join our 24 hour club where we sign in and commit to not drinking for 24 hours. Remember you are not alone and we are here to support and encourage you.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-6-a.html

deeker 06-16-2013 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bird82 (Post 4020173)
But one step at a time. Tonight after the meeting I came home did my ironing and came on here, so far tonight I have not had a drink.

Good job Bird! That took a lot of courage. here is a link to a AA Big Book online. Why don't you take a look.

Big Book Online Fourth Edition

Linked with permission of AA World Services, inc

Just stay in the next 24 hours. Do not pick up for the next 24 hours. Keep it simple.

Bird82 06-16-2013 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hollyanne (Post 4020178)
Welcome Bird!
A good start today!!!
SR and AA!
You are on the right road.
I am sure you are a lovely mother!

Im not a bad mum when I haven't had a drink the night before. It's disgusting that I lay on the sofa hungover with my 3 year old crying out for mummy to play with her, to take her to the park, to interact with her....when I just want to tell her to shut the fk up so I can get on with my hangover. I dusgust myself.

I am determined to do this, for me, for them. I want a life!!!

Dee74 06-16-2013 02:08 PM

Welcome Bird :)

let us know how the meeting goes :)

D

MIRecovery 06-16-2013 03:55 PM

AA saved my life. listen to the people who have a lot of sobriety and do what they do. you are not a bad person you just have a very bad disease. AA will teach you how to live a life that is better than you can imagine

newpower 06-16-2013 04:48 PM

Don't worry about being a boring person sober I know what's more boring for your family and mine is having a messy drunk to deal with.

Bird82 06-16-2013 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by newpower (Post 4020441)
Don't worry about being a boring person sober I know what's more boring for your family and mine is having a messy drunk to deal with.

My family don't really about my drinking, I have drank at home for years, it's just my husband and some friends who I am the life and soul of the prty for when I'm drunk.

SnwFlower 06-17-2013 12:04 AM

Welcome to SR Bird! Congrats on your first meeting! You have a world of support and encouragement on this forum, along with a lot of great wisdom too. This place has helped me stay committed to my sobriety. We're cheering for you. :)