Notices

Has anyone else experienced itching with alcohol withdrawal?

Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone else experienced itching with alcohol withdrawal?

I am detoxing from a 4 year battle with alcoholism, and I really want to kick this habbit this time.. the longest I went was for about 13 days sober and then relapsed.
I am experiencing really uncomfortable itching, its day 2 of my detox and my skin feels like its crawling its so annoying!!
Can anyone help me with what this is?
Thankyou.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Yes I had terrible itching. All over and especially on my hands and feet. It drove me insane! It usually happened after a 5 day binge. However, not sure if it was the booze or something else going on.

Have you spoken to your doctor? That is probably the best thing to do.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ya, that sounds about normal. You're nervous system is all out of whack so you're gonna feel all sorts of unpleasant things. I broke out in sweats and rashes constantly when detoxing and had to take Benadryl to stop the rashes from spreading. Just a few more days until you're out of the woods. Hang in there!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a common symptom of withdrawal.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I took my nick here because my skin dried up and for months I itched. I found many others had the same itchiness after quitting so I muddled through. I had my doc totally read into my actual drinking amounts and smoking so we did a one week in hospital detox, and follow up blood work monthly for a few months. So I was assured nothing was seriously amiss in my now totally confused mind and body. I also quit a three pack a day smoking habit of decades so sorting out which addiction was causing which withdrawal symptoms became moot. Being a very straight guy using creams and lotions, or "product" like that "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy" cable show called them, was like wearing my wife's undergarments, no way!

That itching had me sneaking her Dove soap, and waiting until she went to work to lock the doors and slather on Jergen's lotion for relief. I claimed allergies to my soaps and shampoos and got my wife to get me moisturizing stuff and always got the one eyebrow raised "I told you so" knowing look!

It is better and I use "product" every day. We can learn even in our fifties!

I remain (sober,)
Itchy
Old 06-16-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Yes, yes, yes. The second time I tried to quit this year, my feet itched so much I was scratching them against the bath taps when I had a bath. It went away after about 5 days, I think.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to itch badly after boozing sessions , itchy sweaty headache anxiety nervous dark thoughts ...

Boom ! All gone now.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

there are several drugstore lotions that are completely unscented...i don't if you have "gold bond" brand by you but it is used a lot for eczema too....the trick is to find something not too greasy that soaks in quickly, i apply lotion before bed
Old 06-16-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Taking a cue from Itchy on using "product", I've had a lot of skin irritation associated with exposure to wheat and barley. Assuming your itching is a skin irritation (as opposed to something neurological), Eucerin has a Calming Body Wash (Daily Shower Oil) that I found helpful during an especially bad flare-up. I also try to use a good, unscented moisturizing lotion after each shower, and I drink lots of water every day. Going easy on the grain-based starches (like bread) for a few days might also help.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never had any serious itching - but wanted to welcome you anyway Reecejay

D
Old 06-16-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

yes and a rash. it did go away.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Add me to the list of those who itched. Glad to see you here, reecejay. The itching stopped after a couple days.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's well worth while to talk to a doctor and/or pharmacist about itching. I note that pharmacies customarily stock anti itch creams and other preparations, including, as one post said, powder which has a soothing effect. Maybe it helps to view these otherwise unpleasant symptoms as signs that the body is gradually recovering from alcoholism. And, having gone through all that is hopefully an incentive to stay recovered, not pick up and inevitably have to revisit all these symptoms once more. Thus recovery might be viewed not as having to give something up but as having acquired a valuable asset, freedom from symptoms such as these as well as all the other stuff which goes along with being a slave to alcohol.

W.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

detoxing

my skin is soo itchy im 3.5 days sober.... will this stop or do I have a bigger problem??? I saw on previous posts others have had the same experience.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think the itching is your tiny nerve endings under your skin going haywire but not the skin itself. I don't think applying lotion will help. I would suggest taking a very hot shower before you go to bed.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post! It reminds of the first few months of recovery! I also had the need to get out of my skin for weeks. It was the weirdest feeling, like I needed to peel off my skin. It's a symptom of PAWS. The itching was pretty bad as well. My face also broke out like I have never seen it do before. I was three 13 year old boys rolled in to one with what was happening to my face. I went to a dermatologist who specializes in detox and what was happening was the toxins were finding a way out of my body. I hope I never forget those times because it will encourage me to never go to that place again. Thanks again and good luck!! It will eventually get better, it just takes a lot of time and patience.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes!!!!
Hopefully this will post this time as my daughter knocked my phone n erased it.

I was itching like mad last night on my head face and chest to the point I was checking my hair for nits this morning. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I seem to be experiencing awful headaches almost like stress related ones
Old 11-21-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
Yes, yes, yes. The second time I tried to quit this year, my feet itched so much I was scratching them against the bath taps when I had a bath. It went away after about 5 days, I think.
I actually had the skin peeling off the soles of my feet in the bath. Ended up rubbing them with the nail brush and once skin was off (didn't hurt, was like sunburn loose skin) but once gone, no more itching.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Yes indeed. My chest, neck, arms and butt were the worst. The sweating made it even worse for the first few days. It went away about 4-5 days inn. Also, the top of my head was numb. Weird, huh?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Oh yes, I do remember the itch. I think I scratched my feet raw. Horrible, but it does go away!