Notices

Am I sober if... ?

Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Zoo
Zoo

Question Am I sober if... ?

Hello, I got help and stopped drinking not long ago, but I don't know if I'm really sober. Several times I've been around people smoking weed and thought I got a contact high; once I was pretty sure. I didn't take a puff or try to breathe in the smoke though. I drink a lot of red bull because it seems to hit the spot beer used to for me. Red bull can make me feel buzzed and even hungover afterwards. My psychiatrist prescribed an afternoon dose of adderall to take before going to class and once i took that and then drank a red bull. These things make me wonder if I have to get another white chip.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful

Well here's what I think about it.

While I don't believe a contact high is a relapse I think that hanging around people smoking weed is probably not the best idea for someone trying to stay sober.

Red Bull is not an issue. It's not much different than drinking a cup of coffee. As far as feeling buzzed or hungover feeling, caffeine can produce those effects.

As long as you are taking adderall for legitimate reasons and as prescribed, not an issue.

If your friends light up step in the next room or step outside till they are done.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Zoo - welcome.

I don;t usually weigh in on relapse questions - I think you can make your own mind up

But being around dope smokers is not something I'd want to do, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone here...to me it's one of those slippery slope deals.

D
Old 06-15-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful

One other thing...if you think any of these things may jeopardize your sobriety stop doing it. Do you have a sponsor yet? If so ask them what they think. If not you need to get one.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am around second hand smoke and also drink an occasional red bull but I'm not going to go get a 24hr coin. There is a thin line between what you mentioned and a relapse. If you take more of your medication than is prescribed to get a buzz or take a puff or have a drink then my friend, you would need to go pick up that white chip. Go easy on the redbull with the adderall, that sounds like a bit much to me.
-Ted
Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Zoo
Zoo

Thank you. I haven't taken any non-prescribed drugs or drank alcohol. And I haven't taken any more of my prescription than is prescribed. So I'm still on the wagon? I do intend to change my habits: hanging out with people that are drinking or smoking and drinking red bull with the adderall. Thanks again.