SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Branching out..... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/297911-branching-out.html)

CLR24 06-15-2013 03:30 PM

Branching out.....

Hello
I am a moderator, on another Recovery website, but feel I should branch out a little. I have been sober for over a year and am enjoying every second of it. I started drinking in middle teens to curb social anxiety, little did I know it would consume me later in life. I stay connected to these sites to help me to remember where I came from. Many people relapse, because they start to believe after time they can moderate. I have no delusions of grandeur that I will ever be able to control myself with alcohol.
I am looking forward to giving advice as well as receiving it.

Dee74 06-15-2013 03:34 PM

welcome to SR CLR :)

D

ChrissieB 06-15-2013 03:36 PM

Welcome, glad to have you here x

Hevyn 06-15-2013 03:37 PM

Pleased to meet you, CLR. I started drinking for the same reason - and ended up totally dependent on it many years later. SR has saved my life. Glad to have you here with us. :)

ElegantlyWasted 06-15-2013 03:52 PM

Welcome! I'll third the anxiety issue as being a huge and significant part of why I drank. Pretty good place on this branch.

Nighthawk8820 06-15-2013 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by CLR24 (Post 4018701)
Hello
I am a moderator, on another Recovery website, but feel I should branch out a little. I have been sober for over a year and am enjoying every second of it. I started drinking in middle teens to curb social anxiety, little did I know it would consume me later in life. I stay connected to these sites to help me to remember where I came from. Many people relapse, because they start to believe after time they can moderate. I have no delusions of grandeur that I will ever be able to control myself with alcohol.
I am looking forward to giving advice as well as receiving it.

I feel like being here, has been a blessing. I found this forum after 2 wonderful years of sobriety. Being here and seeing other people at the start of their journey has reaffirmed for me, where I came from and is a reminder of how badly I dont ever want to go back. This has given me a chance to help other people who are struggling, while helping me to maintain my sobriety. I like it a lot.
I have no delusions that I will ever be able to moderate myself, I tried it many times in the past, and its not an option. Clear headed with an open mind and heart is the only way for me to live now. Even though I am doing great with my sobriety and dont ever have cravings (thank god), Its always good to be reminded where I was through other addicts posts. Welcome!

bigsombrero 06-15-2013 05:09 PM

Welcome aboard - glad to have you!

CLR24 06-15-2013 05:09 PM

Thank You
I am amazed at how many people are here! I believe in putting my addiction out in front of me and dealing with it head on. I spent so many years, in a perpetual state of misery, thinking I had to have alcohol to have a life. It is just the opposite no alcohol = happy times.
Thanks again for such a nice reception

Soberpotamus 06-15-2013 05:12 PM

Welcome to SR :)

ScottFromWI 06-15-2013 05:20 PM

Welcome CLR. Hope you find something to help you here and look forward to hearing from you as well. I would imagine it will be nice to be a member without all the mod responsibilities. I've moderated boards before (albeit not sobriety boards) so I know how much work it can be. SR has some of he best mods around as you'll soon see.

Anna 06-15-2013 05:27 PM

Welcome, I'm glad you found us.

ImperfectlyMe 06-15-2013 05:28 PM

Welcome perhaps being just a regular member rather than a moderator will give you freedom when you need to vent. Glad to have you

Acheleus 06-15-2013 05:30 PM

Welcome!

LadyinBC 06-15-2013 05:39 PM

Hi CLR!

Mizzuno 06-15-2013 05:40 PM

Welcome to SR! Glad to have you!

Nuudawn 06-15-2013 06:07 PM

Anxiety...yup. Pretty sure that little dis-ease is what led to both cigarettes and alcohol. Little did I know it probably made it worse in the long run.

Welcome!

GroundhogDay 06-15-2013 06:28 PM

:welcome

CLR24 06-15-2013 06:37 PM

Nuudawn
You are so right! Anxiety became unbearable in my life while drinking. Sobriety has ended the horrible panic attacks. I thought I was curbing the attacks while drinking only to find out after getting sober I was making them much worse.

Pondlady 06-15-2013 06:57 PM

Welcome:)

Mizzuno 06-15-2013 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by CLR24 (Post 4018833)
Thank You
I am amazed at how many people are here! I believe in putting my addiction out in front of me and dealing with it head on. I spent so many years, in a perpetual state of misery, thinking I had to have alcohol to have a life. It is just the opposite no alcohol = happy times.
Thanks again for such a nice reception

There are many many many people on this forum. I think you have hit at a slow time too. I have found this site to be a godsend in my heart, mind, and life. I hope that you stick around. Share.
Alcohol really took its toll on me. I now have a very productive existence and I am all the better for it. If it was not for the compassionate individuals here, I am not sure that I would be in this space, which is healthy and positive ( for the most part)