Notices

cravings bigtime

Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

cravings bigtime

I'm fighting cravings , bigtime. All I can think about is the wreckage my drug use has caused me. Will I ever be freekin normal. I haven't any energy to put on a happy face ... Dwell , crave , dwell , crave . How am I going to get thru it
Old 06-15-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Riky! I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. How long have you been sober?
Old 06-15-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

6 days , I think . I asked God to , take me under his wing . I'm praying for strengh , peace.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow!! Congrats!! 6 days is huge!!

The more days you push through the easier it gets.
Keep it up and believe in yourself. You can do this!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your brain is just playing games with you! Make sure you are in charge of yourself not your brain. It will beg and beg to use the drug.

One of the reasons I don't use drugs is because I can't stand the moment when there is nothing left to use and its time to go to bed. Brrr. Even if you use one more time you eventually end up having nothing left to use. So think about it.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stay strong my friend. Think how you will feel tomorrow. Sending you a big hug xxx
Old 06-15-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I am going through that myself. I am calling it "think or drink." Add cry, get angry, pace the floor. I am pretty sure this the path back though. If you are going to dwell anyway I highly suggest reading the stickys on here.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Trik..so glad you posted. I too have been overwhelmed sometimes when I think of all my wasted life and the cleanup I must face in the wake of arresting my previous addiction behaviour..and those stupid thoughts make me want to pick up. How silly is that..sometimes we just want to crawl back under the rock and not deal.
But you're an amazing person with much to offer this world...allow the world to see your light rather than hide in your darkness. Cravings are tough..the wah wah beast within is putting up a fuss..but you're stronger than some whiny little internal jerk that wants you to do its bidding. Some days are harder than others..especially in the beginning..stay with us... don't you dare go.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Are you going to the AA meetings Riky ?? ...

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-15-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

" Think or Drink " Thanks Silentrun , and all.

2 Gd : Actually yes , a couple. I got meetings to go too and a guy I know to sponsor if I decide to do the steps , he says he can't do it if I don't do 90 in 90. He says he don't know how otherwise. He says maybe someone else might know how. I'm not able to do that. I got grankids I want to see 1 night a week and all day Saturday and I work. You tell me is is that mandatory or just suggested. Still tryin to do it my way , with my higherpower
Old 06-15-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Talk to someone else. You don't need to do 90 in 90 at all!! I didn't and don't know anyone who did amongst those at my meetings!

I think that's harsh. I would talk to others who have given you their numbers xxx
Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

TrikyRiky, just suffer through it, won't last forverer. Rootin for ya.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trikyriky View Post
Still tryin to do it my way , with my higherpower
Good luck.

Bob R
Old 06-15-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi trikyriky,
First let me say I am proud of you for beginning your journey. I cannot promise you it will be easy but I can promise you it will be worth it. It is different for everybody but here is some information.
I can only share what others have shared with me because I never experienced the physical craving for alcohol that many of us have. Some say that exercise helps, also eating something sweet.
Here is some information on cravings you might find helpful:

Having stopped alcohol use, the frequency, intensity and duration of cravings differ from person to person. The bad news is they occur; the good news is that over time they generally lessen in frequency and duration.
The trick is to stay safe while riding out the wave. One way to view abstinence and sobriety is simply preparing for that moment when a craving occurs, nobody is watching, and nobody would know if you used, except you. What do you do?
What follows are some tips and tools that may get you through that moment of danger. Not all tips work for all people, the trick is to find the one that will work for you.
1. Buy yourself some time, distract yourself with exercise, work or cleaning, get busy. Put yourself in a safe place where alcohol is not available. Cravings pass with time.
2. Play the movie forward....remember that we are talking about 'just one'. Once you pick up, control goes out the window.
3. Talk to someone. This is the purpose of building a social network, utilize it. Go to a meeting, call your sponsor, best friend, relative or counselor. Talking it out with someone who really understands helps prevent a return to active alcoholism.
4. Pray or meditate. Ask for help in just getting through this. Use the Serenity Prayer. The point is to ask for help outside yourself.
5. Remember the pain and bad times, and the fact that you would be risking everything good that you have worked so hard for. Try focusing in the positive, not drinking and all the reasons you should not do it.
6. H.A.L.T. Hungry, angry, lonely, tired: If you are in any of these states, fix it. Eat, sleep, chill out, go visit someone.
7. Remember a craving will pass with time and when it's through, you come out on the other side even stronger.

Hopefully this information will help you. Just remember the craving will pass. I will be thinking of you and saying a special prayer for you tonight.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

2 GD : I read your post and I detect sarcasm. Do you really wish me good luck or are you saying " it's my way or the highway"
Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

2 GD : I read your post and I detect sarcasm. Do you really wish me good luck or are you saying " it's my way or the highway"
You said that you are still trying to do it your way .. I'm saying "Good luck". No more-no less.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-15-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

I'm fighting cravings , bigtime. All I can think about is the wreckage my drug use has caused me. Will I ever be freekin normal. I haven't any energy to put on a happy face ... Dwell , crave , dwell , crave . How am I going to get thru it

Turn to your higher power, come on here, try and get outside of you head as much as possible. This feeling you have now is temporary, and it will pass. Its the price we all pay to get to the good side of life..........withdrawal. You can last through it. Do you have any activities you like? I did a lot of crossword books, played games on Pogo.com (addicting, but a life saver), and things like that.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Ricky ,
All feelings come to pass , this one shall too . I did it on my mums living room floor with the radio on pulling my sleeping bag over my head .

Dealing with it in the right way , be that a meeting , excersise , cup of tea , whatever ,,, dealing with it is the important thing .. You don't have to solve anything just abide it ..

Using would only suspend the pain and misery to another day , if you deal with it now you only need to go through this whole experience once .
if you stay clean and sober it will mean some pain if you use it will be more pain and it also invites in all the crazy stuff and problems like money , violence and injury .

Stay strong and thankful for your sobriety , it is worth it , M
Old 06-15-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You don't have to use, even if you want to.

I got meetings to go too and a guy I know to sponsor if I decide to do the steps , he says he can't do it if I don't do 90 in 90. He says he don't know how otherwise. He says maybe someone else might know how. I'm not able to do that. I got grankids I want to see 1 night a week and all day Saturday and I work. You tell me is is that mandatory or just suggested.
90 in 90 is simply a suggestion - but it is a good one. I empathize with the fellow who said he can't help you if you don't do 90 in 90 though. Here's my point of view:

I've been asked by nine people to sponsor them so far this year. I said yes to each one of them on the conditions that the are willing to begin the steps with me immediately and they call me some time in the next 24 hours. Not too much to ask from someone whose life is on the line I believe. Every one of them promised they would be willing to do so and not one of them has called me - not in 24 hours - not ever.

Sponsorship can be a rewarding, yet difficult job as we try to balance work, prior obligations and the grandchildren we want to see as well. I will be glad to commit to this sometimes difficult task, but I'd like to see them committing to something as well. Alcoholism and addiction are deadly conditions...consider this: your doctor tells you that you have cancer and that she can cure you but you need to have treatment every day in her office for an hour for the next 90 days. If you skip an appointment then the treatment wouldn't take. I think most would prioritize and be there without fail.

If you start missing appointments with your doc - I wouldn't be surprised if she let you go and devoted her time to patients who seem more committed.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Riky,

You messaged me once, and d'ya know what, it really helped me! so thank you.

As somone else said, your brain is playing tricks, your adjusting, it's hard, but you can do it.
Stay strong buddy.