Notices

Day 4

Old 06-15-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4

It's day 4 for me, and my first attempt at a sober weekend in a while. It is an interesting problem debating in your head whether to drive somewhere to get a good cup of coffee, or walk because it's early and the sun is shining, or just lay in bed, with my decision not being clouded by the fact that I'm hung over.

You know what surprised me? That hangovers often meant you were still drunk. Like, not alright to drive, drunk. So that trip to the coffee shop was technically illegal. I've found it helps to think of that first drink as agreeing to put on leg cuffs and stay put for an indefinite amount of time. No driving, and pretty soon, no desire to do *anything*. Sounds like voluntary prison to me!!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

just awoke from first day sober, I have to agree it is a weird feeling waking up and not having to totally peel yourself of the bed.

I forgot the crazy thoughts you start getting fighting the urge to drink.
-"your to young to be an alcoholic"
-"so your just not going to drink... again.. hahah"
-"just one couldn't hurt?" a classic.

amongst other. But thank you for the supportive welcomes yesterday to all it certainty gave me a push I needed.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DAB

Congrats to both of you!
All you need to worry about is staying sober this moment.
Soon all those moments make up a day.
You then just keep stringing those days together, the next thing you know life is much better for you, and you have accumulated a year, and so on... and so on...
Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Aren't sober mornings the best? Good job and keep going, as it will continue to get better!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too love waking up sober.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 4! Feels pretty good, doesn't it?
Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go C4B
D
Old 06-15-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love waking up now.It is one of my favorite times of day now.
We just need to keep doing it !
Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Change4Better View Post
It's day 4 for me, and my first attempt at a sober weekend in a while. It is an interesting problem debating in your head whether to drive somewhere to get a good cup of coffee, or walk because it's early and the sun is shining, or just lay in bed, with my decision not being clouded by the fact that I'm hung over.

You know what surprised me? That hangovers often meant you were still drunk. Like, not alright to drive, drunk. So that trip to the coffee shop was technically illegal. I've found it helps to think of that first drink as agreeing to put on leg cuffs and stay put for an indefinite amount of time. No driving, and pretty soon, no desire to do *anything*. Sounds like voluntary prison to me!!
Being in the cycle of addiction is a prison, at least it was for me. The anxiety, the loneliness, and the loss of myself were too much for me to consider dealing with everyday for the rest of my days. I knew I had to change, in order to really live. So I did.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just had my first sober wake-up today too! I mean, I've had plenty of days recently that I wasn't hung-over per-se, or I did not think so. I figured that's just how you feel when you wake up.

But to wake up stone cold sober with no drugs or alcohol in my system is a completely different experience. It's like layers have been peeled away or a breeze is coming through that could never make if before. It felt surreal.... Or i guess I should say, it finally felt REAL!

Remembering that feeling is going to help on lonely nights of craving to come I am sure.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caycilia View Post
I just had my first sober wake-up today too! I mean, I've had plenty of days recently that I wasn't hung-over per-se, or I did not think so. I figured that's just how you feel when you wake up.

But to wake up stone cold sober with no drugs or alcohol in my system is a completely different experience. It's like layers have been peeled away or a breeze is coming through that could never make if before. It felt surreal.... Or i guess I should say, it finally felt REAL!

Remembering that feeling is going to help on lonely nights of craving to come I am sure.
We'll put. Needed that little reminder tonight ! Way to be
Old 06-15-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you Change4better. You just gave me another idea as to ...what to do when I don't know what to do and want to drink. I made a list of a dozen things so far as to what I can do when..at a loss.

You just gave me 13! (obvious as it may seem). Go to a coffee shop and get a fab coffee and read! We have some nice ones around here. I'm early in sobriety and I don't feel to "quick on the uptake". You would think coffee would be an obvious alternative.