Notices

Life really does get better sober

Old 06-15-2013, 12:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life really does get better sober

I joined SR about 18 months ago under another name and despite repeated attempts, never got past a few weeks sober. I re-joined in Dec 2012 and was determined that this time I would do it.

I often remember reading other peoples posts who had been sober for several months/years and more saying how much better their lives were and wondering if that really could be me. My life had always been plagued with anxiety, shyness,nervousness which led me to drink and bad decisions and actions,a habit which got progressively worse through my 20s and 30s.

I've now been sober just over 6 months and can honestly say life really is much better. I moved to a new area 2 months ago which may have something to do with it though I believe if I'd been drinking I'd not have moved or would not have settled in as well. Even making new friends which is something I've always found very difficult through shyness, anxiety and nerves has been easier as my stress,anxiety and depression have lifted since stopping drinking. I thought I was drinking to ease the nervousness,shyness and stress but in reality it was causing and exacerbating the problem. Life just seems normal,nice and pleasant, Boring for some maybe but I've found a peacefulness and serenity that I never thought possible. I accept I'm a naturally shy,quiet person who likes my own company but have realized there is nothing wrong with that. We aren't all the life and soul of the party nor should we strive to be.

Don't get me wrong. life's not all great of course, there are bad days as well as good but overall life is a hell of a lot better than it was

For all those starting out at sobriety,stick at it, you can do this,this can be your life. It really is worth it. I do get thoughts of drinking, but they are fleeting rather than constant. I was also so worried about summer but realize you can actually really enjoy summer events sober

Thanks to everyone at SR for all your support and strength,without SR I would never have got sober.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

fantastic RAL!

D
Old 06-15-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee
Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post, I too have found my life has transformed, sobriety is amazing!!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I thought I was drinking to ease the nervousness,shyness and stress but in reality it was causing and exacerbating the problem.
I was shocked by how true this was for me. I had anxiety prior to drinking so I just assumed it wouldn't be helped much by quitting. I have many theories but no real answers why.... but for whatever reason, after quitting my anxiety has all but gone.

Great post, thanks!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you RAL.

I have seen this this in my own life too.

Life was getting a lot better for me sober. It doesn't take long, but in the beginning it's very difficult and feels like forever.

I decided to 'test the waters' or wasn't appreciating my work or felt I needed more appreciation for my work and I fell and I am trying to get well again and dealing with all of that.

It really was going better for me sober.

RAL's post is a very helpful and honest. I wish I was better at explaining everything.

I am very grateful for you telling us this RAL, it is appreciated.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, ReadyatLast!

Congratulations on you great sobriety time and thanks for such a nice post)

I absolutely agree - life is much better when sober.

Keep up great job!

Best luck to you)
Old 06-15-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Cool RAL ,
If life wern't better sober i'd be drunk . Actions speak louder than words , of that we're living proof .

Bestwishes, M
Old 06-15-2013, 02:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Great post, RAL! My story is very similar. My life has gotten so much better than I ever could've imagined whilst drinking.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Cool RAL ,
If life wern't better sober i'd be drunk . Actions speak louder than words , of that we're living proof .

Bestwishes, M
Love this quote Mecanix,you're so right, thank you
Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
I was shocked by how true this was for me. I had anxiety prior to drinking so I just assumed it wouldn't be helped much by quitting. I have many theories but no real answers why.... but for whatever reason, after quitting my anxiety has all but gone.

Great post, thanks!
This is so true.I was shy and nervous as a teen and thought drink was wonderful as it made me confident.what I should have done was learn proper social and coping skills, instead of making the problem worse. No point looking back though,I'm trying to learn new skills now