Notices

New member struggle

Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New member struggle

Hello everyone I'm newpower I'm an alcoholic I'm 35 and been drinking most of my life. I'm scared when I drink I don't know what will happen I may fight with my wife hurt my kids or cut myself. my behavior is getting worse and worse when I'm drink. I don't know how to not drink my life feels so empty. I have a beautiful wife and family who I love I will lose them If I continue to drink. knowing that I don't know how to stop.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi newpower

It's natural to think what if I become an ogre sober, but I think the smart money is on most of us exhibiting most of our bad behaviour drunk

Support is very important tho - you'll find a lot of it here and in other places like SMART or AA etc.

If you feel you've been self medicating with alcohol for various things, it's probably a good idea to consider seeing a Dr or a counselor too?

D
Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks I have depression that gets worse as I drink but the medication don't mix with the Alcohol and it causes me to black out a lot more and my behavior gets even more erratic. I woke up this morning with massive cuts on my arms that I'm going to have to explain when I goto work that I don't even remember doing. I have to get off this crazy train that's for sure.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newpower View Post

I have a beautiful wife and family who I love I will lose them If I continue to drink. knowing that I don't know how to stop.
you can stop drinking just as many do each day
start by keeping the plug in the jug
better yet get rid of the jug

I lost many good relationships due to my drinking
it's amazing as I look back
all of the signs were there that they could take no more
yet
I gave loved ones up for the booze

do what you need to do before it's too late

once they were gone from my life I was really crying in my beer
give me more give me more oh poor me

I used to also mix my powerful meds with booze
this can bring one to a bottom all so very fast
kills many
Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR x

There is a lot of support here. My behaviour was also a real concern to me when I was drinking and I was scared to carry on but also scared to stop... But being sober has enabled me to seek out the help I needed to move forward with my life. And my relationship with my husband and my kids...well it is unbelievably stronger and worth every minute of the struggle of early recovery. Best wishes to you x
Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi new power

I'm new here too. Day 9 sober for me today and I don't think I had 9 sober days over the last 10 years.

I also did horrible things when drunk, I think we all have. A few days in and e difference at home is already amazing - my family like me. They want to talk to me and spend time with me. They have forgiven me for the horrible things I have done - and I do know that the way they will keep on forgiving me and wanting to be with me is for me to keep proving each day at a time that I value them more than the wine.

Looking into the future to 'stop' is scary. I know that. So I don't - I just focus on today. Today I won't drink and that is another day I can be with them and me the best me they deserve.

I found a lot of help just reading through the threads - I hope you do too.

Good luck - and remember that you have the strength to get through today.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

learning to do things sober is rewarding.

i would not say that if i have not see it myself.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi new power, I am right where you are right now - had the worst night of my life on Tuesday - I am now on day 4 and still feel horrific about how I have behaved. I have been told that kudzu can help with alcahol cravings - whether they do or don't I don't know but am trying anything I can so that I can keep my lovely family too

Good luck - there is loads of support here
Old 06-15-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome, newpower...

you've found a great place here at SR! getting off that 'crazy train' is an amazing journey... not always fun, often a great challenge, but so very rewarding in the long run.

i couldn't imagine putting the booze down for a few hours when i got here, but i'm on day 20 today... and so grateful for the chance to wake up each morning and choose sobriety over the drinken madness.

stick around... read and post. know you are not alone.

peace to you...
Old 06-15-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome to SR. This is a great place with lots of great people. Sounds like you need to come up with a plan. Maybe you can share here some steps you plan to take to help you stop? When I first got sober I had to really change a lot before it "took" the most important thing for me was not putting myself in situations where drinking would be easy.

If you want it, you can do it!
Old 06-15-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by newpower View Post
Thanks I have depression that gets worse as I drink but the medication don't mix with the Alcohol and it causes me to black out a lot more and my behavior gets even more erratic. I woke up this morning with massive cuts on my arms that I'm going to have to explain when I goto work that I don't even remember doing. I have to get off this crazy train that's for sure.
Welcome, newpower. Yes, I know from personal experience that medication for depression does not mix with alcohol. Go to your GP and say that you're drinking on your medication and you don't know how to stop. Say that you want help to stop drinking. When I went to my GP and asked for help like this he was incredibly understanding and helpful.

And as others have said, SR is a great place for support and full of information on various recovery programs/methods/tools.