Notices

Greetings !!!

Old 05-17-2004, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Greetings !!!

Howdy!!!

New to the board but not new to addiction. I'm 34 yr old male. I've known I've had a problem with drugs an alchohol since I was around 25. Sought help back then and managed to be sober for 2 years then slipped. I've been drinking steadily and exponentially since then. I can drink around 12 beers no problem and go to work the next day and seem to function fairly well. I'm also taking zoloft and it says right on the bottle do not take alchohol while taking this medication. I also smoke pot, smoke ciggarettes. I drink at least 5-6 times a week, when I ever I drink my consumption of the other harmfull substances also increases. Thank god I don't operate heavy machinery for a living.

Obviously from my paragrah above I'm using the present tense in describing my addiction. Meaning I haven't quit yet, tonight is a sober night though. But I'm at the point I'm drinking not because I want to or I find it amusing. But because it feels like its an instant reaction thing, get home from work,.... drink. Even when I don't really feel like it I drink anyways. I know whats a stake my health, physically and psychologically, my job, my family. The last thing I want to do is cause pain to my family, especially my mother she's been through enough.

I'm tired of being sick and tired
Old 05-17-2004, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi Valor, I'm about five hours west of you along the Trans-Canada!
Sounds like you're ready for a change of lifestyle. I'm an addict in recovery, alcohol being one of my favorite playmates too. Just as a curiosity, how are you managing the Zoloft/alcohol combo emotionaly? At any rate, you've found a good bunch of people here. Lots of support and no judgemental attitudes. They'll be along to say hi in a bit.
Welcome here!
Old 05-17-2004, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Hi Valor! Welcome to SR! I'm Missy and I'm an alcoholic. Admitting that and doing something about it has changed my life. I wish you well on your journey.

Take care and keep posting!
Missy
Old 05-17-2004, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Greetings, we have alot in common. You were sober for 2 years before, so you know what it is like. Get your life back, sobriety is a good thing. Good Luck, steph
Old 05-17-2004, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

WELCOME TED HERE ALKIE/DRUGGY
VALOR n. bravery;courage
SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU FIT THE DEFINITION.
IT TAKES BOTH TO DO WHAT WE NEED TO TO GET WELL.
YOU'LL FIT RIGHT IN HERE,STICK AROUND,SPILL THE BEANS,YOUR NOT ALONE!!! :boat
Old 05-17-2004, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Thx everyone!!!

I've been taking zoloft for about 7 years plus. Emotionally I feel nothing. At first while I was sober I tried to deal with my depression and anxiety via the normal non-medicated means for two years,but I always felt like s***. So when I started taking the meds It wasn't so much as I noticed a difference at first but when family and friends noticed a difference in my personality for the better thats when realized it was working.

I tried weanning my self off them over the period of a year but I eventually I'd hit rock bottom again. My doctor said it looks like I'll be taking them for life.

I haven't had a serious friendship/girlfriend relationship in over 5 years. Not because I don't want to . Its just that I know emotional and physically I have no desire nor interest.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Hiya Valor,
Welcome to S.R. You'll find bunches of good people around here.....

Glad you found us!
Old 05-17-2004, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Valor,

Welcome from a fellow-Canadian. I'm glad you found us at SR. We can offer you a lot of support and understanding. I also have depression and have been on medication for a few years now and I wonder that if you stopped drinking, your medication might work better and your depression might improve. Just a thought. Anyways, I hope you hang around and get to know us.

Love, Anna
Old 05-17-2004, 04:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Hi and Welcome! Recovery is a life time process. Some people are lucky and don't have slips and some people are not so lucky. I'm glad you came here for support of what ever you need support on be it alcohol,depression,lonilyness,life! Lot's of good folks here on SRF and lots of different styles of recovery. Again welcome!
Old 05-17-2004, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Valor and welcome to SR!

Today is a good day to get sober. We're here for you!
Old 05-17-2004, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hello valor
i used to see life as basically grey-gone-to-black
today: all the colors [and some that i make up as i go along!]
you are not alone
mackat
Old 05-17-2004, 08:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Valor, welcome!. I have been on Paxil for some time. I also have done a lot of drinking even though it says not to. Not to sure what effect it had. I do hear that drinking renders the antidepressants less effective. It feels a lot better when you get sober. Less depression, less anxiety. Very liberating.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Valor from a fellow canadian. Glad your here. Its a great place to be.
Z
Old 05-19-2004, 04:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

News Flash from the Front!!!!

Well this is day 3 without booze. :smile: I've started to acknowledge to myself that this is a problem for me that has to end, for good. Alot of common sense reasoning is happening right now as the fog lifts a little. Steps to ante up my efforts are underway. I have the support of my mother as always and it has made her happy that she knows I've been sober for 3 days. I feel horrible that I have made her worry for this long about me.

This friday night will be the toughest challenge yet, week-end are hard. I had made plans to avoid my normal routine and go see a movie or even 2 friday night. But if I feel I should go where I know I should be on friday night,to a AA meeting, I am no stranger to the group recovery process, I just now that going in there half-as* is not how it has to be done. I have to want it and I do, I'll keep ya posted...
Old 05-19-2004, 05:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

congradulations!

Congradulations on your 3 days! I know for me aa has been the only way for me to achieve sobriety,It has givin me back my life.Welcome to SR ! Prayers ^ Trish.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

GLAD TO HEAR YOUR HANGIN IN THERE VALOR.KEEP GETTIN UP!!!
Old 05-19-2004, 05:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Valor
I'll keep ya posted...
Film at eleven!
Right on Valor
Old 05-19-2004, 06:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Still hangin` on...

Originally Posted by Valor
News Flash from the Front!!!!

Well this is day 3 without booze. :smile: I've started to acknowledge to myself that this is a problem for me that has to end, for good. Alot of common sense reasoning is happening right now as the fog lifts a little. Steps to ante up my efforts are underway. I have the support of my mother as always and it has made her happy that she knows I've been sober for 3 days. I feel horrible that I have made her worry for this long about me.

This friday night will be the toughest challenge yet, week-end are hard. I had made plans to avoid my normal routine and go see a movie or even 2 friday night. But if I feel I should go where I know I should be on friday night,to a AA meeting, I am no stranger to the group recovery process, I just now that going in there half-as* is not how it has to be done. I have to want it and I do, I'll keep ya posted...
Hi Valor! Welcome!!
I hear ya on the weekend thing. That is my problem--havent had a good weekend yet--but still working on it. My sponsor is lining up babysitters for me--haha--how bad is that! But ya know what?--I need it!! Im weak right now and I need to surround myself with people that are clean--thats my only hope!!! So, stick around--the gang is a tower of strength!!!Youll see.
Ann
Old 05-19-2004, 10:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

welcome valor! glad your here! lots of support and encouragement here!
Old 05-19-2004, 10:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Valor! Congrats on the 3 days!