Me too!
Yep. Yep!
Old 06-16-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Me too.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I tend to be doing 5 other things whilst also being on here , so i read the newcomers area and see if i have some relavant experience, encouragement or an angle or viewpoint which the poster might not have thought of . I'm happy for friendship to happen and i don't mind if it moves on or disapears , i'm not in control or responcible for the universe anymore , i gave up my cosmic plan when i put down the bottle

Although SR might seem a place of sadness and full of problems when one first looks , to me it is a wonderland of people turning themselves around and trying to do something incredibly hard , yet positive in their lives .

I think i'm friendly with a lot of people here, i don't wish anyone harm, life is hard enough ! . i sure i get on some peoples nerves ( we're drunks we get bugged out sometimes ) , Acceptance , friendship , tetchyness i'm at peace with any of it .

I'm sure you will make friends if thats what you want , put yourself out there a bit , in the UK a bus dosn't always stop unless you put your hand out . Sometimes even then they sail on past ...

I've had people ask in open forum to want to make friends and then haven't recieved a message from them , i'm also wary of co-dependancy and of what i'd call emotional vampires . "Friends and enemies" by Dorothy Rowe was an interesting read upon the subject . I think sometimes we have to learn the art of friendship just like so many other life skills .

Goodluck , M
Old 06-16-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Yup, I worry about the co-dependency aspect too. It can be a tough situation to get yourself into. Excellent point!
Old 06-16-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Hey! We've PMd back and forth a bit, I love getting messages. I suck sometimes at responding quickly, and I'm sure I dropped the ball on our last message, but I'd love to pick up our conversation. Off to search my PMs
Old 06-16-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Hey! We've PMd back and forth a bit, I love getting messages. I suck sometimes at responding quickly, and I'm sure I dropped the ball on our last message, but I'd love to pick up our conversation. Off to search my PMs
Hey ! We did .. You helped me out. How are thing going for you ?
Old 06-16-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hows it going SHH?
Old 06-16-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you see that there are lots of people here who care about you. We're all here to support each other and hopefully, to makes this journey a little bit easier.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Hows it going SHH?
It's going well. Think I'm making friends now how are you today ?
Old 06-16-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

SoberHH, an interesting topic and thanks for raising it.

Yeh, 'friends' in the online space - my take on it is that, even if I have only minimal 'official' SR friends or people with whom I exchange PMs, it's still really wonderful to encounter so many warm-hearted, sincerely felt, 'voices' from around the world.

It's one of the things that attracted me to join SR more than any other forum. And certainly, for me, it's much more genuinely friendly than Facebook - i.e. SR people talk about deep struggles and successes in their lives; exchange tips and virtual blessings and hugs; go a bit silly with hilarious jokes and word plays; honour each other's significant moments like birthdays, sobriety milestones, losses and moments of mourning, and each other's little ordinary daily moments too.

An amazing tapestry of threads (pun intended) include all these things and more.

I may not know what each person looks like in real life, but I get to hear, to feel along with them, and they with me. Each of us could well be in our dressing gown n slippers, or in a business suit or jogging gear...it doesn't matter. We could be all alone in real life, or surrounded by loving and not-so-loving family members or housemates. We may have a dog or cat, or several, or none (though lots of SRs are pet lovers, go figure :-)).

We may be 25, 37, 52, 73...in age. We may have been addicts of whatever substance for decades, or a few years, or even months. Likewise, we may be on the interminable Day 1 or 2 cycle....or solidly, happily (or unhappily) sober n clean for years.

We may live in the country, with little supports around; or in a big city, with lots of supports available. Or in a small or medium size town somewhere, betwixt country expanses and city.

We may be single, happily or not; married, happily or not; divorced, happily or not; widowed, happily or not; working in a 'real' job, happily or not; unemployed, retired, studying, on a pension, happily or not.....

It's truly incredible. Are these people, essentially invisible strangers to us in real life, our 'friends'? I believe that we are, simply because we share common concerns and struggles, and - in 95% of cases, thanks to our careful moderators - communicate with each other with compassion, sincerity, wit, and personal depth. Sounds like a close-to-ideal definition of friendship!