Notices

How did you quit drinking? Rehab? Detox?

Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did you quit drinking? Rehab? Detox?

I'm curious about how the SR folks gave up drinking, and how many went to treatment facilities.

Myself: 5-day detox outside of my metro area. Very hush-hush (and not cheap). After that, AA meetings and weekly therapy.

And if you went to treatment, what type of place was it? Was it helpful?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Bad evening where I freaked out on my partner, woke up with a hangover and never looked back. I started AA on my 8th day sober. Today I am 6 months.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did it myself without formal treatment or detox. Here helped, as well as Harm Reduction, SMART, Rational Recovery, Alan Carr's Easy Way, Buddhism, and a little AA. I took what I needed and left the rest.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started with books, lots of great books and then found SR. It has been my lifeline for many years.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

7 months with SR and books (addiction memoirs mostly with a few recovery advice ones) only.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

On my own for one year, lots of books, on my own a second time for about eight months, then finally a 20 day Intensive Outpatient Group. Right now I am doing continuing care group once per week as a follow-up to that IOP, individual therapy every two weeks with an ACOA/addictions therapist, SMART Recovery online meetings nearly daily, one Women For Sobriety f2f per week, and I meet with an AA sponsor once per week to work through the Steps, and I'll try and catch an AA meeting once per week, usually with my sponsor.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

While I don't recommend it to anyone I just went cold turkey and took a couple days off work. I was pretty much glued to SR for the first week too. Since then, SR has been my primary support. While I don't attend AA meetings I did read the big book in its entirety and still read it as well.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit on my own for 3 months. Then thought I could moderate. Three months later ended up so sick from drinking every day. Went to the ER where the put me in the hospital. I stayed two weeks. Don't remember much of that.
The wonderful doctor who saved my life pulled some strings and got me into a rehab facility. Women only. Stayed for 21 days. Did daily AA after I came home.
Overwhelmingly grateful to be alive and sober today.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LDT

3 day detox, addictions therapist , books, yoga, and a year into recovery I found SR .... Wish I had found it sooner .
Old 06-13-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am doing daily AA meetings ( sometimes more if I can fit them in), reading lots of books, working the steps, meeting with a sponsor, doing service work, coming to this forum and, most importantly, praying to my HP. I've been sober for 8 months.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Very nearly died - found a sincere desire in me to change, to leave a greater legacy....found SR

D
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AVRT, exercise and SR. From day 1 I found comfort from simplifying my strategy to the most basic element. My objective is to win every day. If I do not put alcohol in my hand and down my throat then I win. The rest is background noise silenced by recognizing victory. It's only been 5 months but I haven't lost a day nor my will to win. I deeply hope everyone can find their way to win because it is possible.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Almost 11 months with SR, lots of reading, pieces of AVRT and urge surfing. A friend's health scare was the start, and fear of needing to go to rehab and daily meetings helped as well.

It can be done, and you can find all kinds of ways to recover here on SR
Old 06-13-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I quit on my own 4.5 months ago. I was laid off from work and am single, so I had lots of "me" time to focus on my sobriety. A month after I got sober I found SR, which has played an important role in support and building my confidence and strength. Lots of reading and meditation too.

The thing that made a big difference in my commitment this time, was that I made a firm promise/deal with myself. The deal was that I become sober for life, get healthy and have complete faith that my life would get better. My reward for keeping that promise is a better life. It's working.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by spicymustard View Post
I'm curious about how the SR folks gave up drinking, and how many went to treatment facilities.

Myself: 5-day detox outside of my metro area. Very hush-hush (and not cheap). After that, AA meetings and weekly therapy.

And if you went to treatment, what type of place was it? Was it helpful?

I detoxed on my moms couch. During that time, I researched everything under the sun in regards to alcoholism. I prayed a lot too, and got very determined. I changed my routine, stepped out of my comfort zone daily, and stopped making excuses or lying to myself. I got honest and faced my demons head on, no holds barred. I pushed myself harder than I ever had in my life, because it was a battle for my life and everything I had ever wanted it be, but had lost at the time. I realized I would never meet any of my goals or dreams with alcohol in my life. Ive been sober since May 8th, 2011.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by SnwFlower View Post
I quit on my own 4.5 months ago. I was laid off from work and am single, so I had lots of "me" time to focus on my sobriety. A month after I got sober I found SR, which has played an important role in support and building my confidence and strength. Lots of reading and meditation too.

The thing that made a big difference in my commitment this time, was that I made a firm promise/deal with myself.
Wait are we the same person??!

This is me too: lay off, single, reading, yoga, meditation. I found SR a couple weeks after I quit and since then I've been on here almost daily.

I have also started seeing an addiction therapist weekly as of a month ago. I haven't yet figured out how crucial that is to the puzzle but I do think it's helping.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Haha, cool beans fantail!

Yes, the meditation and SR have been crucial in helping my commitment to sobriety stay solid. So grateful, so very grateful.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I and my wife were on the brink of losing our relationship and everything else. I went to a week of no-cost, bare-bones detox, then 90 meetings in ninety days. I found SR about a month after detox when I started having misgivings about AA.

I am still going to meetings and working with a sponsor after seven months.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cold turkey, 15 days in. Was up to a fifth per day when I quit. Physically I'm tip top right now, get some psychological cravings but nothing too crazy. But life is pretty stress free right now so that could change.

I'm going to get to 30 days, in the meantime thinking about possible supplements to going it alone, for the longer term, with SR/other online reading. I'm not interested in AA really, doesn't seem like my thing. But I did talk to an alcohol counselor once and that was helpful just talking to someone who understood the illness.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I quit fighting. No detox or treatment.

I called AA and a lady came and picked me up and took me to a meeting. The next day I wallowed in self pity.

I went to another AA meeting and continued to go. I got a sponsor and started working the steps. I will be doing step three on Sunday.

I go to at least five meetings a week and I have a home group. I am 82 days sober today.