Notices

How did you quit drinking? Rehab? Detox?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Started going to AA after crazy black out drunk episodes trying to help me cure my demoralization ....then about a year later I went to a 30 day inpatient treatment - it was a fancy schmanshy place with a chef and pool & stuff...had about 3 1 on 1 therapy sessions a day plus group sessions & 2 AA meetings a week while at treatment. ..did good for a while going to AA and IOP....then i relapsed. ..went back to the rehab place for a week....back to AA. I was going to a meeting almost every day but this last week I've gone to 2 so far. AA & SR are geeat tools if you use them
Old 06-14-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have done it primarily on my own, for close to 2 1/2 months. SR is my life line I use it often! It's always there and someone is always on! I think there are many many routes one could take for sobriety.... The only key to whatever method you use is to NEVER loose sight or become complacent.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

No formal program, just SR. It really is all about understanding that you can't moderate your drinking...ever...and that you need better coping mechanisms.

Most people seem unwilling in the beginning to give up alcohol for the rest of their lives. However, I found that the cravings stopped after one month and I don't miss it. I have bad days when I feel vulnerable, but haven't relapsed. I just go to bed early and remind myself that tomorrow is another day.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

No formal treatment or programs for me either. Just some support from a few close family members & friends and SR.

I'll have 4 years sober next week
Old 06-14-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
No formal treatment or programs for me either. Just some support from a few close family members & friends and SR.

I'll have 4 years sober next week
Congrats on 4 years FBL!

And I agree that support from close family and friends is key. Toxic relationships need to be avoided at all cost, no matter who that person is. I have a sibling that I avoid completely.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'd like to add to this thread that asking for help, even "formal" help is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure most people here don't think this way about it... but I'll never forget the looks on the faces of some women in one of my groups (and I won't mention which group, because I'm not a gossip) when I told them I had voluntarily gone to IOP... their faces fell, and they collectively sighed. I then went on to explain to them it was one of the best decisions I'd ever made... to call and ask for help, and to go receive it. And to keep going every day and putting myself in front of others with the same problem... the help was invaluable. And it taught me that I have the right, and CAN ask and receive help and support... it also showed me I am strong. I contributed a lot to my group. There is something magical about a group dynamic like that. I was sad when it was over.

There is no weakness or shame in going to a treatment center. Especially when you choose to go to help yourself fight your addiction. The fact is, the odds are against us. Most addicts die of their diseases/addictions. This astounded me, as I've always believed I was strong and could surmount anything... I am determined to be one of the minority who recover.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
AA member

On my own for three years.Drank again and it got worse!

Joined AA and just over 10years sober.