Notices

Jennie's Daily Habit Change Progress

Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jennie's Daily Habit Change Progress

Hey All, I am starting a Habit Change plan and would like your support. I'm loosely following the Zen Habits style of Habit Change, attempting to make a few daily activities become habits... it supposedly takes about 30 days to do this. Some of these are going to seem a bit silly to be putting on a chart, but I can explain

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wc&usp=sharing

The flossing is a bit of an issue with me since getting braces. It was easy to daily floss before the braces made it difficult to get in between teeth. They are increasing my flossing time by 3x or so. As for the dishes, well... let's just say they have a tendency to pile up in my sink... despite having a dishwasher No excuses there.

The other activities are things I'm doing; I'm just not doing them regularly enough. My goal is to do them daily. I'll be attaching a Google spreadsheet showing my progress, it's nothing fancy. Just a list of the activities, the date, and an X showing I did it that day

I'm posting so that you all can help hold me accountable! Comments, suggestions, feedback welcomed and encouraged.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Jeni.

Nice idea!

I think I have to organize my habits as well.

Best luck to you)
Old 06-13-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like a worthwhile endeavor sj. Goodluck and give it your best!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go for it! I probably need to something like this also. I so lack motivation to deep clean the house
Old 06-13-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great idea Jennie. I think I might have to do a chart of my own..since I've got big plans for sobriety and yet to really start much of anything other than staying sober. If I don't start engaging in plans, I'll simply think sobriety is boring..lol.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Jennie. Great idea. I have stuff in my head, but like you think it be best to write it down. Monitor my progress. Best wishes. Look forward to following your progress
Old 06-13-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
totfit

Nice checklist. I have been doing really great with the running and keep an online log and think that I need to apply that to other areas. I have years of journals that seem to have a lot of January and December and not a whole lot in between. I am pretty "anal" with financial stuff and records and can see where I could apply your "spreadsheet" method to a lot of other things and likely have much better results. Thanks for introducing this.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like this. I have things that I really need to do on a daily basis. Like the dishes. I really cant stand the dishes. They cause me to become irritable. Anyways, I think I may do something like this myself, on top of all the other things that I am doing. I am excited to see your progress.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

oh yea, those darn dishes
Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone Day 1 is going pretty well so far... just finished up the exercise part. Meditation is next. I missed it this morning.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Hey All, I am starting a Habit Change plan and would like your support. I'm loosely following the Zen Habits style of Habit Change, attempting to make a few daily activities become habits... it supposedly takes about 30 days to do this. Some of these are going to seem a bit silly to be putting on a chart, but I can explain

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wc&usp=sharing

The flossing is a bit of an issue with me since getting braces. It was easy to daily floss before the braces made it difficult to get in between teeth. They are increasing my flossing time by 3x or so. As for the dishes, well... let's just say they have a tendency to pile up in my sink... despite having a dishwasher No excuses there.

The other activities are things I'm doing; I'm just not doing them regularly enough. My goal is to do them daily. I'll be attaching a Google spreadsheet showing my progress, it's nothing fancy. Just a list of the activities, the date, and an X showing I did it that day

I'm posting so that you all can help hold me accountable! Comments, suggestions, feedback welcomed and encouraged.

You know, its things like this that will keep you on the right path. Change is so crucial, and not just setting the bottle down, its stepping out of your comfort zone as often as you can. Changing your life in general and trying new, other things that interest you is a fantastic way to embrace your new life and stay excited about it. I fully support you on this, and I think its a great idea.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Such an amazing idea. I think I need to do the same thing. Actually, I kno that I do. If only I knew how to put that together on google docs tho. Perhaps ill just write mine down but thanks so much for the idea and ill be keeping track of you too. Btw, are you sure you needed braces !? Great smile ya got there.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Jennie:

I think this is a great idea. You bring back memories of my counselor Jack I had at rehab. He used to tell us to change everything - "If you put your pants on left leg in first, change that by putting on your pants right leg in first. If you wear your watch on the right arm, switch to the left". I guess he was a firm believer in changing everything, and I believed in him, so I listened My life changed for the better, because he made me conscious of habits that needed to be broken, no matter how silly they seemed.

At 5'2", I stood taller than him, but he'll always be a giant in my eyes.

Keep working at it! I love your positivity!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Thanks for posting the link. Looks like a great tool.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering

Just on the flossing Jennie, with braces you may find that faster and better if you use a water flosser.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this Jennie! I was on the ball early in the piece but not so much now, I plan to adapt your idea if I may. It's great to read a positive post like yours, many thanks.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good Idea Jenny. I use a checklist for things I need to do daily. But that's a task list, not a habit list. I like this. I think I'd add flossing to my list too. My dentist always crabs at me about my lack of flossing, I tell her, that's why I come see you every six months
Old 06-14-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHappyHour View Post
Btw, are you sure you needed braces !? Great smile ya got there.
Thank you Well... I won't say I "needed" them. But yeah, sorta. I actually had braces when I was a kid. Wore them for a little under a year. My teeth are pretty straight. The problem is in my lower jaw. It's 4mm too short! Which isn't that much... but just enough to annoy me. I also have mild TMJ. So, I'm having braces again to decompensate my arches in preparation for jaw surgery! And I'm very excited about it. They'll move my lower jaw out just slightly so that it matches up with the upper jaw... and going to fix the clicking in my jaws as well. Just something that's been wearing on me for years now and I'm ready to fix it!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
Just on the flossing Jennie, with braces you may find that faster and better if you use a water flosser.
Might look into one, thanks!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wellwisher View Post
You bring back memories of my counselor Jack I had at rehab. He used to tell us to change everything - "If you put your pants on left leg in first, change that by putting on your pants right leg in first. If you wear your watch on the right arm, switch to the left". I guess he was a firm believer in changing everything, and I believed in him, so I listened My life changed for the better, because he made me conscious of habits that needed to be broken, no matter how silly they seemed.

At 5'2", I stood taller than him, but he'll always be a giant in my eyes.
With the way you've described him here, I'm picturing a Robin Williams character... or even Morrie in Tuesdays With Morrie