Notices

Unable to make my daughter do the right thing

Old 06-13-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Unable to make my daughter do the right thing

Ahhh I know, God Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.... It's hard though. I had a job lined up for my daughter. All she had to do was show up (she has been looking for a job for months), but she didn't even show up for the interview, saying she didn't have a ride. She has several people that I talked to and know that would have given her a ride. She is behaving like an addict/alcoholic and I don't know for certain that she is not, but I honestly don't think she is. She is 18 just graduated and moved in with a 25 year old. He supports her financially (not sure how..hmmmm?) She won't even tell me his name. She calls me once a week to pick her up b/c she says she cant take living with him anymore...she stays home for a day or a few hours and then goes back. I am packing up her things in her room and putting them in storage. (her room is a complete disaster and my sister is coming to visit and needs to sleep in her room tomorrow)....Anyway, I'm rambling. I miss my little girl. I wish I could go back in time and spend every minute of my time with her SOBER. I was sober maybe 40-60% of the time when she was growing up...what a waste of precious time.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What you can change is how you live your life moving forward. Over time you can regain the trust and love of those around you. But until then there is no way to "fix" what happened in the past, or to fix how other people go about their lives. Concentrating on your sobriety is the absolute most important thing you can do now.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can't 'make' your daughter do the right thing but you can do the right thing yourself. Try to detach with love since you cannot control her actions. I hope she gets the message soon.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can't have those years back and I know that's one of the very hardest things to deal with. I lost three years of my kids lives when I was drinking and I hate thinking about it. What I can tell you is that there is hope. Stay sober, recover and show your daughter that you are changing. Time will make a difference and hopefully she will decide that she wants a proper relationship with you.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So true. You touched on the most painful part of my post. That is and will always be the biggest regret in my life. Not just time lost, but what I put her through. I did make up for a lot over the past few years, but our relationship is still fragile. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate the encouragement and understanding.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know that it is difficult to watch your daughter make mistakes, but she is clearly rebelling right now. Most people get their act together pretty quickly once they are allowed to suffer the consequences of their actions ( of course assuming not dangerous). Backing off and not bringing her home every time she calls may bring her to the realization sooner that depending on her boyfriend is not going to work.