Notices

2 years

Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 years

yep, 2 years since i've registered on this site.

one thing i can tell you for sure that i feel a whole lot better physically and mentally this morning than two years ago.

a chance to know and experience life without alcohol is not something anyone should pass up.
it's a drug, a horrible one, widely accepted perhaps, but nonetheless dangerous and evil.

i had a few relapses and drinks here and there, but i've also learned many valuable lessons along the way. i don't even wish i could say that i was completely sober for two years. i would not have had the chance to understand what i needed to... although each "drunk episode" brought many negative things, eventually it made me stronger, more aware, more present and mindful. (being drunk for 10 days in total out of two years, is not something i am proud of, but i will take it over being drunk every day like i used to)..

i also cannot say that things are just peachy and there are rainbows everywhere. life has its difficulties, but it becomes a lot simpler to untangle any problems when you are clear-headed and not suffering from another hangover.

sobriety made me want to improve physically and mentally. the extra time i wasn't spending on drinking, could be spent on exercise and better diet. i feel to me it is the best motivator to stay sober.
my recent visit to the doctor proved that you do heal, not only mentally, but physically. my cholesterol is 3x less than it used to be, i have normal blood pressure and don't require medication, i'm 80 lbs lighter, my fatty liver is non-existent and completely cured.
i would really be dead or seriously suffering within 5 - 10 years if i didn't quit drinking. there's no miracle here, you remove that poison (after all it is a real poison) from your body and it will thank you. and your mind is surely to follow.

if i can give any advice... is that one should really try and experience life sober. it's full of magic that will never be revealed until you stop drinking to let the fog lift.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

Thanks for the reminder. I needed to be reminded today. Life is so much better without alcohol.

Congrats on being sober for so much of the past two years. I am happy to hear that your health has improved so much.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thanks for such a positive post!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 06-13-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Thank you for the post.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Serious That is fantastic...fantastic is my word for the day when reading a post like yours....80lbs lighter I'll have to hear more about that please....720 days of recovery and 10 as reminders...I am so glad you put the relapses in perspective...

Relapse is a characteristic sometimes of recovery...most people with illnesses and disease have relapse

Thank you for spreading the good word and helping others...for this hour at SR I'm really latching on to threads that tell me stories of recovery and success...

For me it is all well and good to help the addict who still suffers...but it is extremely good also to read success...hope...enjoyment

Relapse isn't alright it certainly points to something going on that needs to be worked...but (and I have felt and thought like this many times) I mostly looked at it being negative...like I should be ashamed, guilty, futile...

it took many a good sober people to help me "get over it" get outside of myself and start helping others....

You are doing that and I am very honored to read your story...
Old 06-13-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post serious . They benefits of staying off the sauce are loud and clear .
Keep up your great new life
Old 06-13-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome post, thanks for sharing Congrats!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post
Serious That is fantastic...fantastic is my word for the day when reading a post like yours....80lbs lighter I'll have to hear more about that please....720 days of recovery and 10 as reminders...I am so glad you put the relapses in perspective...

Relapse is a characteristic sometimes of recovery...most people with illnesses and disease have relapse

Thank you for spreading the good word and helping others...for this hour at SR I'm really latching on to threads that tell me stories of recovery and success...

For me it is all well and good to help the addict who still suffers...but it is extremely good also to read success...hope...enjoyment

Relapse isn't alright it certainly points to something going on that needs to be worked...but (and I have felt and thought like this many times) I mostly looked at it being negative...like I should be ashamed, guilty, futile...

it took many a good sober people to help me "get over it" get outside of myself and start helping others....

You are doing that and I am very honored to read your story...
thank you.

you've said it so well: "Relapse isn't alright it certainly points to something going on that needs to be worked."...
i have learned to accept that, and use it as an opportunity to look deeper and try resolve the problem that pushed me to have that drink in the first place.

that doesn't mean i would be OK with having a replace every weekend. not at all. i despise the time i've spent drunk even during those days. i hated myself i hated the booze i was miserable and sick... and i was hiding it. there will never be joy in drinking for me again. it opens up the door to that "dark place" and sucks me in completely. i'd rather just stay away.

one thing that has helped me through hard times is to learn to be mindful and to try to give back in any way possible. there's no way i could've been mindful or present when drinking daily, like i did so "successfully" for years.
most of who i "thought" i was, in reality wasn't me at all... connecting and understanding myself better while sober has been a great experience. sometimes shameful, sometimes difficult but profound and necessary.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by serious View Post
yep, 2 years since i've registered on this site.

one thing i can tell you for sure that i feel a whole lot better physically and mentally this morning than two years ago.

a chance to know and experience life without alcohol is not something anyone should pass up.
it's a drug, a horrible one, widely accepted perhaps, but nonetheless dangerous and evil.

i had a few relapses and drinks here and there, but i've also learned many valuable lessons along the way. i don't even wish i could say that i was completely sober for two years. i would not have had the chance to understand what i needed to... although each "drunk episode" brought many negative things, eventually it made me stronger, more aware, more present and mindful. (being drunk for 10 days in total out of two years, is not something i am proud of, but i will take it over being drunk every day like i used to)..

i also cannot say that things are just peachy and there are rainbows everywhere. life has its difficulties, but it becomes a lot simpler to untangle any problems when you are clear-headed and not suffering from another hangover.

sobriety made me want to improve physically and mentally. the extra time i wasn't spending on drinking, could be spent on exercise and better diet. i feel to me it is the best motivator to stay sober.
my recent visit to the doctor proved that you do heal, not only mentally, but physically. my cholesterol is 3x less than it used to be, i have normal blood pressure and don't require medication, i'm 80 lbs lighter, my fatty liver is non-existent and completely cured.
i would really be dead or seriously suffering within 5 - 10 years if i didn't quit drinking. there's no miracle here, you remove that poison (after all it is a real poison) from your body and it will thank you. and your mind is surely to follow.

if i can give any advice... is that one should really try and experience life sober. it's full of magic that will never be revealed until you stop drinking to let the fog lift.
I agree with your last statement wholeheartedly. I am at 2 years too, and what a game changer it has been. I never knew my life could be like this, and I will thank god every day of my life that I was given this chance to live free of alcohol and addiction. Congrats on your new life, you should enjoy everyday because you earned this. Well done!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love your post. Everything happens for a reason. Your relapses did make you stronger and more sure than ever that you were meant to live life the best way possible and that is sober. Glad to have you with us. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a great post! Really needed to read this. Congrats to you and thanks for sharing!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great post Serious! It's very encouraging and it definitely brightened my evening. Congrats on 2 years!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I really like your attitude, how you talk in terms of 2 years despite some mistakes along the way. I've seen a lot of people talk about "throwing away" periods of sobriety, as if streaks are the only indication of recovery, but like you've shown, it isn't thrown away if you dust yourself off and keep going over the long haul.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You really are keeping the focus on yourself...so far away from denial and blaming other people or things.

The willingness and actions reaching out to help others is mindful and presence.

Today I will keep that forefront.

As you write sobriety isn't an end goal...it is a way of life....

So hard for me to get over resentment, shame, and guilt...blocks to my happiness and serenity...barriers to help other people...and really just showing up for life.

Even if my "problems" aren't related to alcoholism...if I throw myself harder into helping others I can accept situations as they are...

Keep up the great work