Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

1st night of non intoxicated sleep. tell me what works for you at night

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. This will be my first evening in awhile when I dont drink.

What do you think about or what meditations or thoughts went through your minds while trying to sleep without alcohol running in you?

It will be strange when I lay down and rest this evening sober. I bet lots of you know exactly what I am talking and asking about
Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

You will have some wild dreams and sweats, but they dont last forever. You can get through this, and soon, you will sleep like a log and wake up excited about your new life and all the great changes you are making. Congrats on your first night!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took time for me to get accustomed to not passing out drunk...but it will happen.
I spent a sleepless night or two but gradually I got more and more sleep...

I didn't take any meds, I just let nature take her course, and that worked.

D
Old 06-12-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful

That was my first night.

A lot depends on how much you drank and how often, but for me it took several days. Hang it there it's worth a few uncomfortable days once you come out the other side.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

Sleeplessness huh? Ok. I will not get panicky over it.

And, the last time I drank I drank a 12 pack and 2 24 oz beers so...yeah. that was last night..

And the waking up feeling energized feeling will be back? I forgot how that felt!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, sleeplessness. Slog through a few days of little to no sleep and then when you do sleep, it will be fantastic.

It is tough though. Running through my mind every time I tried to quit and couldn't sleep was that a couple of drinks would have me sawing logs instead of staring at the ceiling at 3:30am. Don't give into the temptation.

Good luck! You can do it.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanksa Charlie.

And I am eating like crazy I just realized! I ate a piece of salmon, 1 baked potatoe, many tortilla chips with salsa, 4 carrots and am in the middle of a bowl or cereal. This is crazy to me.

Am I prolonging sleep, bored or is my body just craving these things?i cant decide.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about the eating right now, Nevar.

It's most likely your body yearning for some wholesome nourishment after the barrage of alcohol. It is a good sign that you are hungry right now. Many people suffer from loss of appetite when they try to quit. You have a lot of vitamins that need replenishing, so cut yourself some slack.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good to know. Thanks. And barrage of alcohol is right.

Monday I drank about 2 12 packs and felt good to work the next day.

There is something deeply wrong with that no matter how uppity I feel the next day.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The beer you listed that you drank last night was about 2000-3000 calories, depending. The food you listed? Maybe 1000, 1200. By that logic, have another bowl of cereal.

I sweated and had a hard time falling asleep at first. Then, oh boy did I sleep. Now, I sleep a lot, which I also hear is normal. I'm looking forward to getting over the exhaustion that sets in while my brain chemistry gets back to normal.

Buenas noches!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've said this here a few times.. I embrace the insomnia and let my mind run a million miles an hour. And I give it something to do.. play video games or watch TV.

This is horrible advice for trying to sleep.. but I'm not really trying to sleep. I'm just trying to keep my mind distracted. I find it works much better than tossing and turning in silence and really feeling every ounce of the withdrawals as you lay in the dark, frustrated.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you bexxed. And another bowl of cereal? May I lol. I will do most anything anyone here tells me to do right now. I don't have a clue.

Strange to be a beer oriented alcoholic and never think about calories or health defects.very strange.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've been through alcohol withdrawal a few times and I find that melatonin helps a lot with sleep. It's not a sleep aid like nytol and all those; it's safer and helps you relax and stay asleep once out. It'd be worth looking into and is cheap at almost any store. Beyond that I really hope you sleep well tonight.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Solid advise rennet. I may consider doing an all nighter. Its 11:31 pm here so I have plenty of time to decide.

But more cereal now.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks raeth. I forget melatonin exists. I hope the withdraws dont show up like the brief spazm, feeling like you are falling stuff I remember.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

During that first few weeks, I drank chamomile tea and also still take Melatonin before going to bed. If I couldn't sleep I watched movies to relax me and keep my mind occupied.

Thinking positive thoughts for you.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This my first post having found this site yesterday. Im in your same boat. Last drink was Sunday night....12 pack and a 40. Up last two nights, hoping tonight is the magic night. I am drinking sleepytime tea after reading threads for a while.
Hope you sleep well soon.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NevarCiots View Post
Solid advise rennet. I may consider doing an all nighter. Its 11:31 pm here so I have plenty of time to decide.

But more cereal now.
I was exhausted the first few days but about a week in I was sleeping, albeit late. Now two weeks in I get 8 hours easy.

It helps that I'm not working currently so I can stay up as late as I want :P
Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi NevarCiots,
I had a hard time sleeping at first and had a few sweaty nights too. I just let it run its course. I did have a friend on standby just in case I started feeling sick. I didn't want to risk not getting medical help just in case. Please be safe and get medical attention if you need it.

I had about 2 weeks of sleep a lot some nights not so much. It leveled off. The weird dreams were more unnerving to me. They leveled off too. Then the eating...oh yes...same there. I was eating everything that didn't run away from me.

Great news though. In 3 months I am sleeping great. Can't remember the last goofy dream and I'm back to eating normal. Actually eating healthier than I ever have.

That was just my experience. At the time I thought it sucked pretty bad but now I look at it and in hindsight it wasn't so bad. It was so worth it. I am pretty darn happy now.

Just me. Everyone is different. Hang in there. You can do it!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am fortunate not to have any sleep issues.

This might sound weird, but . . . I sleep with a fan trained on me. Both the white noise and the blowing air are comforting to me somehow. Sort of like giving my senses something to "do" instead of lying in silent, still darkness. Sometimes I also like to think of myself in some idyllic place -- cozy lakeside cabin or a seaside villa in some exotic locale. I've also used the "what I'd do if I won the lottery" pleasant mental diversion.

Sweet dreams!!