Notices

My Roommate is boozing and it's annoying me

Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Roommate is boozing and it's annoying me

So i'm at home. In a super good mood. Sober almost too weeks and my roommate is drinking beer right next to me while i try to watch tv. Not tempted to drink but it's just sort of a little annoying. should i just go in my room and isolate myself or should i just ignore him and keep watching tv? Maybe i'm just being stupid
Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do not think you are stupid. I think that in early recovery it is hard to be around alcohol. If it is really troublesome maybe going and doing something else is the best idea. There is no harm in that. These feelings are normal. At least they were for me.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by thelonghaul View Post
So i'm at home. In a super good mood. Sober almost too weeks and my roommate is drinking beer right next to me while i try to watch tv. Not tempted to drink but it's just sort of a little annoying. should i just go in my room and isolate myself or should i just ignore him and keep watching tv? Maybe i'm just being stupid

No, I dont think you are being stupid. Its a tough thing to learn for people in recovery, but most people dont give a rats ass about what you are trying to do, and for the most part, you are on your own. There are forums like this and AA of course. You may want to think about moving.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found it really hard being around people drinking. It is hard to ask people not to though. Even my own family, after just finding out about my struggles, came to visit and brought and drank a ton of beer and left me to clean up the empties I nearly cried. I was so hurt that they didn't think just to not drink for a few days.

Maybe the best thing would be to do something totally different. Don't sit with him watching tele or sit in your room. Go for a walk, go to a meeting, meet someone for coffee, join a club or go to a library... I found it helped break the habit if I did something different and walking really helped me with all that frustration and anger.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I've been finding the gym to be very therapeutic. You guys are right. Seems like no one, save my family members, give two ***** about me quitting. Whatever, i'm doing this for me not them. That sounds selfish out loud but it is what it is
Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think it's selfish - I think it's being mindful of self.

There's a massive difference

D
Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by thelonghaul View Post
Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I've been finding the gym to be very therapeutic. You guys are right. Seems like no one, save my family members, give two ***** about me quitting. Whatever, i'm doing this for me not them. That sounds selfish out loud but it is what it is
Its not an easy realization, but for the most part, people dont like stepping out of their comfort zone to help you change yours. The gym is a GOD SEND, at least for me. It eases my anxiety, allows me to work through daily problems, and I think Im pretty much ready to be the next International pop star with the dance moves I bust out when nobody is in there, lol.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Well I definately would have been annoyed if it was me in early recover. Last thing I wanted to do was to be around people drinking.

Is moving an option? You aren't being stupid, you are being aware and that is important. Sometimes we have to be selfish in the early stages of recovery.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do whatever you have to do to insure your sobriety. I like the idea of going to the gym. It will burn off frustration and calories and will improve your health too.