Notices

New Guy/Weekend Problems

Old 06-12-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Guy/Weekend Problems

Hello!
I've been a heavy drinker since college and now that I'm in my mid thirties know that it's really time for a change. I'm on day 3 without drinking which is great but I always string a few days together during he week, start feeling better and then convince myself by Friday that I can have a few on the weekend. I then inevitably spend all Sat. and Sun. In various stages of hangover. I'm not sure if I'm a true alcoholic as I can stop for a few days with no problem or any withdrawal symptoms. I do sweat a lot at night after a big weekend but I have buddies that get that and they aren't even very big drinkers.
My main problem is lack of moderation. There is no such thing as a drink or two for me. I either have to abstain completely or drink until completely drunk. That typically means about 4 or 5 mixed drinks followed by a few beers. Or if I'm drinking wine, I'll drink 3 or 4 glasses on a work night or about 2 bottles on a Friday. Anyway, I'd like any feedback on my situation as I am clearly a problem drinker right? I'm going to give every effort to make it through this weekend but I know how I get come Friday. Thanks for your help and all the best!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The weekends were extremely tough for me for awhile too. I changed my whole routine up avoiding any drinking situations. I read on here constantly, drawing on everyone's experience and support. I learned it didn't matter if I fit the generic definition of alcoholic. Drinking caused me problems and I didn't want to have any problems anymore. I accepted I was going to feel uncomfortable, I was going to miss out on some things, and I was going to lose some friends. Never drinking again became the priority over everything else. And I've never regretted it. There's also a thread started every weekend for people trying to get through it together. This place is amazing.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can do this! You have to tell yourself that Friday is just another day and not for drinking. It's simple but not easy but it can be done. If you're not sure if you want sobriety or not, give it six months and see how you feel then.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome BoSox! It's good you're taking a hard look at your drinking habits. I wish I had in my 30's - I wouldn't have lost so many wonderful years.

The thing is, I once drank like that - and as they say "Alcoholism is a progressive disease". No one can tell you for sure if you're an alcoholic - but one warning sign is that you can't stop with one or two. I drank exactly like you do once. Eventually the weekend drinking moved into Monday drinking (hair of the dog.) Over time, I drank every night. I never would've dreamed I'd let that happen. So - good for you for coming here and seeking advice & suggestions. You'll never regret it.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great start! And welcome? Like hevyn I too wish I would have acted in my thirties. Now just forty was almost in real trouble. But I. Drank long enough to have serious alcohol withdrawal symptoms and cravings every night not just Friday.

It will progress slowly and sneakily, before you know it your are where you never expected. Now is a great time to Act on your hunch. If you are asking the question you probably already know the answer. you will find lots of support here.
I did not have a problem drinking, but a problem stopping.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to you all for the feedback..little bits of understanding and encouragement seem to really help keep my resolve. I really appreciate it and will need more to help push me though until Monday. I feel like once I adapt and make new habits, it will be a lot easier in the weeks to come right?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by BoSox1 View Post
Hello!
I've been a heavy drinker since college and now that I'm in my mid thirties know that it's really time for a change. I'm on day 3 without drinking which is great but I always string a few days together during he week, start feeling better and then convince myself by Friday that I can have a few on the weekend. I then inevitably spend all Sat. and Sun. In various stages of hangover. I'm not sure if I'm a true alcoholic as I can stop for a few days with no problem or any withdrawal symptoms. I do sweat a lot at night after a big weekend but I have buddies that get that and they aren't even very big drinkers.
My main problem is lack of moderation. There is no such thing as a drink or two for me. I either have to abstain completely or drink until completely drunk. That typically means about 4 or 5 mixed drinks followed by a few beers. Or if I'm drinking wine, I'll drink 3 or 4 glasses on a work night or about 2 bottles on a Friday. Anyway, I'd like any feedback on my situation as I am clearly a problem drinker right? I'm going to give every effort to make it through this weekend but I know how I get come Friday. Thanks for your help and all the best!
I think most of us asked if we were really alcoholics or if we were really THAT BAD at one point or another. The thing is, you have to figure that out for yourself. I tried everything, and could go a few days without drinking. I had anxiety on those days, but nothing too bad(at first). It eventually got worse, and everything I tried from moderating myself, to hangover cures, to hiding just didnt work. You may need to get to a certain point to really want to change. You being here, and asking though shows me you are aware there is an issue, and that is an awesome first step. Your already ahead of the game in that regard............now you just have to figure out what you want to do now.

Alcoholism is a progressive addiction, so most likely you will continue to get worse and worse, even if it comes on slowly. For an alcoholic, there is no going back to being a casual drinker once that line is crossed. You can wait to see if that happens, and my guess is it will...........or you can try and quit now and avoid the pitfalls coming down the road. I could be wrong, but this is just my 2 cents.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wanna get myself bak on track thought this site will help me but i dont no how to msg anyone ?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The 'can't stop at one' is a clear sign of problem drinking, but not necessarily a huge cause for alarm if you are still binging in moderation IMO. If you are concerned about it maybe try cutting back how often you go out.

I know people who go get plastered every other weekend, I wouldn't consider them alcoholics. It's more just cultural around their family/friends.

BUT it is a fine line between 'alcoholic in progress' and 'infrequent binge drinker.' So I say cut back how often you do it to see which one you are.

Totally unprofessional advice but thats my take