Notices

Baby on the way. Time to cut it out.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Baby on the way. Time to cut it out.

Detoxed in September, stayed totally sober for nearly six months. Did the AA thing for a while. I thought I could drink like a gentleman. That didn't work out. I found myself going right back to my old habit of secretly slamming vodka by myself.

Now I've got a baby on the way. It's time to cut it out.

I've got a couple days sober. Went back to AA. A guy at a meeting told a story about how on last father's day, his wife took his kids to visit him at his rehab facility. I don't want that to happen to me.

Going to AA meetings seems to help - mainly as a reminder that I need to keep sober. I've read through the big book and didn't really care for it or find it helpful.

I can hopefully nip this in the bud before it becomes a bigger problem.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jules

Welcome to SR! Congrats on your baby!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the coming baby and your wise decision to stop drinking.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Trying to moderate led me right back to the same place too, spicy. It was much easier to just stop playing with it. It feels great to be free. We know you can do it.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Six months is awesome! You can definitely do it again and now have even more motivation to do so. Congrats on becoming a father too!

The BB was written a long, long time ago and a lot of the text reflects that. Some of the language is rather unusual unless, of course, you grew up in the 1920s and are still committing "shenanigans with your fellows" . It's still timeless wisdom but I find the stories in the back to be pretty relevant to today and easier to read and relate to. That is the 4th edition, published in 2001, I think.

(Always good to see another Philly person on here too )
Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by spicymustard View Post
Detoxed in September, stayed totally sober for nearly six months. Did the AA thing for a while. I thought I could drink like a gentleman. That didn't work out. I found myself going right back to my old habit of secretly slamming vodka by myself.

Now I've got a baby on the way. It's time to cut it out.

I've got a couple days sober. Went back to AA. A guy at a meeting told a story about how on last father's day, his wife took his kids to visit him at his rehab facility. I don't want that to happen to me.

Going to AA meetings seems to help - mainly as a reminder that I need to keep sober. I've read through the big book and didn't really care for it or find it helpful.

I can hopefully nip this in the bud before it becomes a bigger problem.
You can and you, and your family, will be so thankful you did. No child wants to grow up with an alcoholic parent. I had one, and it was bad. Then I became one, so I see both sides of the spectrum now. You can do this, and then you can be free to live a long, wonderful life with your new child. Congrats!!! You can change and do this!!!!

AA wasnt for me either. Im not the type to be open to strangers, especially when I was first getting sober as my social anxiety was through the roof. I researched alcoholism and everything about it. I wanted to know everything, and I am still learning. I did a LOT of self evaluation, which helps. I also prayed a LOT, and begged for me to be free of the demon that is alcohol. Im not a religious nut or anything, but to me, alcohol was a demon that wouldnt let me go. I got free, and you can too. Find whatever works for you, and stick with it. This time next year, you could be living a completely different, and better life.