Notices

Back on the Sober Train (15 Days)

Old 06-11-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back on the Sober Train (15 Days)

I知 a binge drinker. Around mid-March I attempted to quit drinking for good. I went 28 days and then I drank a few beers. I recommitted and went another 10 days--then I really tied one on. After that, I started drinking heavily every 6 days or so.

On May 28 I said enough. That was 15 days ago. I started attending AA meetings, and it has helped, but I知 not sure yet if I値l commit to the program悠 still have some moral and philosophical issues with the 12-step approach. But for now, I plan to keep attending AA meetings and see where it leads.

I have no immediate plans to get a sponsor or to start working the steps. Just being at the meetings is immensely helpful, so for now I知 comfortable with that approach. My cravings are all but gone; although, every few days an urge creeps into my mind, but so far I致e been able to simply replace those thoughts with healthier thoughts.

I also suggest any newcomers try a few AA (or NA) meetings. You don't have to commit, you don't have to do anything but sit and listen. I was very resistant, but I decided to attend a few meetings with an open mind. If you're lucky enough to live in an area with a lot of meetings, I'm sure you will find a group where you feel comfortable. I'm not pushing AA, but I think many of us rule it out based on a perspective we formed from information we've found on the Internet. I believe a first hand experience in a few AA meetings should at least be tried before ruling out AA or NA.

Cheers all.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome, congrats on your 15 days

Great suggestion about AA and open-mindedness... I was also very resistant to AA for years, having a mom who tried it and failed to stay sober. I've been attending meetings like you've suggested here... no commitment other than just to go, sit down and listen to the others. I've been pleasantly surprised! And not so pleasantly surprised Haha. It takes all kinds...

But I think you've hit on a great thing here... it took me years to be willing to walk myself into an AA meeting with somewhat of an open mind. Actually, I walked in rather close minded on some levels... but it just goes to show that reality of a situation is just that... it's reality, and it's not always what we had expected!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Feenixx,
Congratulations on 15 days!
I also went to AA meetings during the first couple of years of my sobriety, but never did the steps. I got so much out of listening and sharing.
I started going less and less as the years went on, but have still stopped in on occasion, or gone with a friend.
Very supportive and non-judgemental.
I highly recommend.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Congratulations on 15 days sober.

I am not an AA person, but I'm glad you have something that works for you.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Feenix congrats on 15 days, keep at it. If AA is helping go for it, we all have to find our own way to recovery, do what works for you.

A suggestion: I found changing my thinking was important. You said:
I知 a binge drinker
I suggest that you change that to I was a binge drinker or better still I don't drink.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
I suggest that you change that to I was a binge drinker or better still I don't drink.
Yes, I'm working on that. But in a way it's like me saying "I'm an alcoholic". I wouldn't say "I was an alcoholic", so I usually say "I'm a binge drinker".
Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker and I have 13 days of sobriety. Binging was a way of clearing my self out after a long period of stress or anxiety, but when I woke up the next morning I would be wrecked for days both mentally and physically. Right now I am focusing on taking each day on its own, and I am living a quiet, simple life, which gives me lots of time to reflect on what I did and why I drank for so long. There was no progression for me with alcoholism. When I was 15 I just drank and drank until I blacked out. Then I drank to make myself happy. I was always drinking alone, even if I had to go to a party or something later on. From my sober time now I think drinking so much was a way of punishing my self for mistakes I had made, but my mother was an alcoholic and pill popper so she always put me down. I hope your sobriety becomes more valuable to you as the days add up, and I hope you continue to grow and learn every day.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Feenixx! Thanks for your post. I too turned to AA when I got sober and went a lot during the first few months. It helped me to be there, listen and share. I did not get a sponsor either, nor did I work the steps but I found it to be very crucial to my early sobriety. As I progressed in my journey my attendance just kind of naturally trailed off but I suppose it is because I am more confident in recovery as I go along.

It gives me great comfort to know there is always a meeting if I need support and I am happy to hear that others have used the program in a similar way. For a while, I felt like I was being "bad" not embracing all of the suggestions but learned over time to take what I needed and leave the rest.

Thanks for sharing. It is always helpful to know that others share similar experiences as we all travel our own personal journeys in recovery