Notices

5 months sober

Old 06-11-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 months sober

I thought I'd quit Facebook and try another form of internet life. Facebook makes me jealous and I don't know many sober friends on there. I'd like to meet some sober people to chat with. I have been sober 5 months and I am working on my 6 month chip through AA. I am working on the fifth step. I like AA and try to go to a meeting everyday. I live and go to AA in Atlanta but love to travel and would like to go to AA meetings in other cities and countries. I work three jobs and stay very busy. I am looking to branch out but not sure if this is the place to do it. Does anyone have experience with this site and have you found it helpful in your recovery and meeting new people?

Clayton from Atlanta
Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

We have members from all over the world on this board and it's very active and supportive of all recovery methods. I'm sure you will enjoy reading and posting.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR from someone in your neck of the woods!

SR has been a huge part of my recovery and there's always someone here.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-11-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on the 5 months, keep at it.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Awesome job on 5 months Clayton, I passed that mark a week ago myself. It's a great feeling for sure! I actually gave up on Facebook a couple years back for many of the reasons you listed, and because I finally realized it's nothing more than a waste of time and vanity contest for most who post there. SR has a wealth of info about recovery programs, and just good people.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR crgriffith and congrats on your 5 months of sobriety! This is a great forum for support, encouragement and fantastic shared wisdom in committing to sobriety. It's helped me a great deal. Glad you are here.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DAB

Wecome to SR, Clayton!
I have found SR to be very hepful in my recovery.
I use it to ask questions and share concerns.
It's a good place to put the feelers out there before you bring something up to people face to face.
I also find this a good place to help others, give encouragement, share knowledge, what's worked for me etc.
Congratulations on 5 months, that's awesome!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Clayton! Great job on your 5 months of sobriety.

I found SR very helpful - up until I came here I'd felt all alone. No one in my life had alcohol issues & no one understood. Someone is always here to listen and help. I hope you'll stay with us.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 06-11-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome job on 5 months!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Crgriffith, 5 months sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've found SR to be a valuable help in my recovery. I come here every day to read and post, it helps me stay sober.

I'm glad you joined our family!
Old 06-11-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Wow. What I would give to say I was at 5 months right now. I'm approaching 10 days... hehe.
Congrats... keep it going.

D.D.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Dan and everyone else for the welcoming. Dan, keep up the good work. Remember, one drink, one drunk. I play music too but not for a living. Just for kicks. You probably sound better sober. Keep truckin' it will get easier.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

You will get out of it what you put into it. Keep posting. I find it helps me ti help others . Read and reply. Start a new thread if you feel the need to express your struggle , or achievement.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful

Welcome to SR Clayton. I use AA and SR (and for right now counseling) for my recovery and find they compliment each other well. I find I feel much better in the morning when I have spent time reading and responding at SR during my evenings rather than slamming down beer after beer during my evenings. I get a lot out of it and hopefully give some back in return.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by crgriffith123 View Post
I thought I'd quit Facebook and try another form of internet life. Facebook makes me jealous and I don't know many sober friends on there. I'd like to meet some sober people to chat with. I have been sober 5 months and I am working on my 6 month chip through AA. I am working on the fifth step. I like AA and try to go to a meeting everyday. I live and go to AA in Atlanta but love to travel and would like to go to AA meetings in other cities and countries. I work three jobs and stay very busy. I am looking to branch out but not sure if this is the place to do it. Does anyone have experience with this site and have you found it helpful in your recovery and meeting new people?

Clayton from Atlanta
I can relate to this post SO much. I read peoples status updates and get annoyed sometimes because they have such a huge social life, and I am currently working on rebuilding mine. I spend a lot of time alone, and even though it can be upsetting at times, I know its part of the process and a price I pay in building a new me with a new life. I cut off my true friends when I was drinking, and hung out with my bar "friends" who left me when I cut out alcohol. See how that works, lol? So now I am just hanging out alone, but I have a few good connections I have met in my sober life. You can too, but you have to reach out. Message me anytime!!!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Clayton, 5 months that's great! I go to daily AA meetings, and I've also started to become active on SR. I was a lurker for several months, it really adds to my recovery reading the shares here. Keep coming back. :-D