Notices

Why does the torture repeatedly elude us at weak moments ?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Why does the torture repeatedly elude us at weak moments ?

Every single one of us is here for the exact same reason - our drinking caused or is causing our lives to fall completely apart. Our health, jobs, relationships, etc.

We are sick, TO THE BRINK OF DEATH, after every drunk.

Yet we continue the torture under the illusion that somehow its going to serve us.

What are your thoughts as to why ?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Because we're alcoholics/addicts and that's what we do, even knowing the consequences. I'm just glad that we can work to live a clean and sober life away from the torture of addiction.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I think we are either psychologically or physiologically (or both) addicted to the substance. It is compulsive and habit-forming. It circumvents and sabotages the pleasure and reward centers in the brain, the primitive area of the brain. It ******* and sabotages coping skills.

At the heart of it, our primitive brain remembers the buzz. And it wants it again, and again, and again.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I must block it out. Someone posted on another thread that suicide and quitting seem like equal options. I had totally forgotten about that. I even had begun thinking about merciful ways for my family. REALLY? Just like when we where drinking it does not let us see the truth. Sometimes just being reminded of that makes it so much easier.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I gave up my longest bout of sobriety thinking I could celebrate something with a little champagne. I ended up dead drunk and kept on drinking until last Sunday. In truth, there were things leading on up to that drunk. It wasn't just one moment that I caved to. I had started my sobriety in another town/province and then returned to my hometown. I didn't like any of the AA groups/meetings I went to...couldn't find one that felt like home. I remember looking around my last meeting and thinking I would rather drink than be here one more minute. I figured I could do it on my own. I did for awhile..then the champagne drunk...quit again for awhile...moderated awhile..but I had already taken a step down that slippery slope.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

then the champagne drunk.
Champagne drunk, huh? I think I've been wine drunk and wine hung over, but never champagne drunk or champagne hungover. I know champagne gives me one hell of a headache after one glass...can't imagine getting **** faced on it.

Congrats on the 9 days!