Notices

This day one

Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My house is nice and neat, too.....but there's always dog poop in the yard. I do agree - stay busy if you are struggling right now. Stay strong, August. I need you to get through this day! Are you somewhere that you can walk stairs - that way you won't walk past the liquor store. Scott's got it on the money. Find anything to do, anything, but drink.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yea I know I have a voice screaming NO to my other voice as well .. Like I keep saying as long as I keep posting my Window of opportunity close so that has been a good thing ..
Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yea the problem is that I can't control them .. You are so right ..

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
things you can't control.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by AugustWest11 View Post
Yea the problem is that I can't control them .. You are so right ..
Actually, the problem isn't that you can't control them. Not being able to control things is a fact of life that no one can or will ever be able to change.

Just like the serenty prayer says "The Wisdom to Know the difference". Try thinking of that when something gets in your mind. Here are a couple examples:

1. You are worried about what someone you know thinks about your drinkng. Can you control this? Absolutely not - you have zero control over what other people think. Move on to the next though.

2. You really want a drink, just one wouldn't hurt to take the edge off. Can you control this? Absolutely - just don't pick it up.

Break things down to the simplest components/actions you can. And deal with each one quickly and decisively. A good measure when you are unsure about the "wisdom to know" for me is this. I can control my actions, and in turn how people view me as a result of those actions. I cannot control or change the past, or what other people think of me because of my actions in the past.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I realize that; all too well and that is what is getting me this day .. But TY it makes so much sense but it just seems harsh lol
Old 06-11-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful

It's amazing how much doing "the little things" not only keeps me busy but gives my self-esteem a boost for accomplishing them. And boosting my self-esteem helps me not beat myself up so much. And not beating myself up so much helps me stay sober. Little things add up that affect us whether they be positive or negative...we have a choice which ones we will choose to do, or not do.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by AugustWest11 View Post
Has been the absolute worse one I have ever had Not just physically but on my mind .. I am lossing it and All I want to do is go get some beers and "take the edge off" .. But I know I will end up buying a pint of something as well to "help me sleep" Then I will be drunk and walk back to get something to "forget" it all ..
Its not worth it, and you wont always feel like this. Its withdrawal, and if you give in, then the cycle continues and you will just have to start all over again. Try and keep busy or do something to get outside of you head man. You are going to drive yourself nuts!!!lol. I remember the feeling, but it will pass. Maybe you should revamp your sobriety plan of action if what you are doing now isnt working for you. How many day 1s have you had so far? You cant keep trying the same thing each time, you have to change things up and maybe step out of your comfort zone. Go to bed, wake up tomorrow on day 2, and maybe tweak your getting sober plan a little to make it more effective so you can hit day 3, day 4 and so on. Best of luck buddy!