Notices

Ready to start recovery

Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready to start recovery

I have been struggling with alcohol for the last 5 years. I have used alocohol to get myself through(in reality numb) myself through 2 traumatizing life events.
I came to the realization that I need help tonight. I don't want to keep living like this! I've been reading a lot of inspirational posts on this site and I feel I am ready to start a new chapter.
I am going to be attending my first AA meeting tomorrow night and I hope I can tell my Mom and best friend the truth about my drinking, and the destruction it has caused in my life tomorrow. I am/was a MAJOR closet drinker, I feel I can only escape my feelings when I issolate and drink alone. If anyone can offer me any advise or wisdom as I start I this journey it would be greatly appreciated. I feel really alone and afraid to confess the truth tomorrow
Old 06-10-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, StarStruck!

You'll never be alone once you join AA, and you can always come here to SoberRecovery for support!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done for making a good decision!
I wish you all the best
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Starstruck,
I will be 7 months sober Wednesday, One Day At A Time. Getting sober is the most wonderful way to LIVE. I have found AA, or it found me, I don't care. It works. I'm sure most folks in the Program would help answer any questions/concerns. Feel free to send me a message. However I can help, just let me know.
:-D. Bobbi
Old 06-10-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
I have been struggling with alcohol for the last 5 years. I have used alocohol to get myself through(in reality numb) myself through 2 traumatizing life events.
I came to the realization that I need help tonight. I don't want to keep living like this! I've been reading a lot of inspirational posts on this site and I feel I am ready to start a new chapter.
I am going to be attending my first AA meeting tomorrow night and I hope I can tell my Mom and best friend the truth about my drinking, and the destruction it has caused in my life tomorrow. I am/was a MAJOR closet drinker, I feel I can only escape my feelings when I issolate and drink alone. If anyone can offer me any advise or wisdom as I start I this journey it would be greatly appreciated. I feel really alone and afraid to confess the truth tomorrow

Being on here and going to that meeting tomorrow are AMAZING first steps. There is no right way to getting sober, all that matters is you re-take control of your life and dont let this thing get any worse..........and it always does get worse.

I also found it best to be honest with everyone who mattered to me. Not only is it freeing being honest, but it keeps us accountable as now we have people who also want us to succeed and will hold us responsible for our actions. So many addicts hide, because its shameful in society to be addicted. The only shameful thing is knowing you have a problem, but being to scared to do anything about it.

I too suffered a devastating loss, and the aftermath was pretty bad too (what it did to my family and myself). In sobriety you learn to process, face, and deal with the emotions you feel from the losses. They aren't as scary as you might think, and with a clear head, you can really learn to process them and stand on your own without the crutch of alcohol.

Alcohol is so enticing at first and it seems like a great way to escape the pressures of life, any strong emotions, and a way to be more social in settings you may feel uncomfortable in. The trick of it is, alcohol is not your friend and doesn't help a damn thing. It stops you, freezes you in time into a cycle of anxiety, depression, anger, and self loathing.You never grow or learn to live in a healthy, adult fashion. That is no way to live, right? Stop now, and you will see some amazing changes over time. Things wont change over night, but they will change eventually. Learn as much as you can, research all you can on addiction so you can be fully armed against your addiction. I wish you the best of luck, and god bless. You can do this.