Notices

Subtle change...

Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful

Subtle change...

I went to a meeting tonight that I go to on most Monday nights, so maybe 5 times since I got sober (55 days). After the meeting one of the regulars at the meeting said "Hi grungehead, I've noticed that you seem happier each time I see you". I thanked him and told him that I noticed I was whistling yesterday for no particular reason LOL. I know whistling is a minor thing but I know I had not "whistled" for a long time.

I guess my point is that even in early sobriety we are changing for the better even if we do not see it ourselves. I haven't really noticed that I have become noticeably happier in the short time I have been sober, but according to outside sources I have.

So if you catch yourself whistling you know things are getting better!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Little things add up to become something big overall.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Nice! Good to hear GH. Day 49 myself and on average I know things are getting better (when I actually think about it). Still a lot of up and down and feeling a little flat. I channeling that Flo Rida Whistle song right now. LOL.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
I went to a meeting tonight that I go to on most Monday nights, so maybe 5 times since I got sober (55 days). After the meeting one of the regulars at the meeting said "Hi grungehead, I've noticed that you seem happier each time I see you". I thanked him and told him that I noticed I was whistling yesterday for no particular reason LOL. I know whistling is a minor thing but I know I had not "whistled" for a long time.

I guess my point is that even in early sobriety we are changing for the better even if we do not see it ourselves. I haven't really noticed that I have become noticeably happier in the short time I have been sober, but according to outside sources I have.

So if you catch yourself whistling you know things are getting better!
Oh man, its ALL about the little things. They are the things that make recovery, especially the first stages so much more managable. I am at 2 years and still shocking myself with what I am capable of. I feel so free now, after 5 really bad years feeling like I was trapped or doomed to that life forever.

Just the other day, I realized I can talk in large groups at work with all eyes on me. I expect the anxiety to take over or creep in, like it used to, but it doesn't come. I am leading people, people are listening to what I have to say.........its amazing. My ideas are valuable and I DO have something to offer.

I can drive by cops now too at night, and not freeze up like I used to. Mainly because I didnt have the best record with the police, and was no stranger to driving under illegal circumstances.

Its those little things you run into through out recovery that really show us how much we are growing. Im growing even on days I think nothing much is changing, and don't realize it till something happens and I realize just how far I have come. I live for those moments. You have just scratched the surface my friend, think of all the great little surprised in store for yourself.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Great to hear some positive stuff Grungehead, Thanks for sharing it with us.

My first go at sobriety, with treatment but no AA, had me feeling much worse by 55 days and by 90 I had returned to the bottle.

First time I tried with AA and no treatment, I was half way through the steps by 55 days and feeling amazing. All kinds of things seemed to be changing for the better and by 90 days the obsession had been lifted. And it has just kept getting better.

What was the difference? The first time when my life got worse, I was just not drinking.
The second, I was trying to get my life on some sort of spiritual path, through the 12steps of AA.