Notices

If it is not toooo much trouble?!!!!

Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

You can know something is harming you without having the volition to do something about it! I know you guys are keen to get me dry but I do have a plan...I know it sounds naive but in my head it makes sense...I don't want to seem ungrateful but August it is (Secretly I acknowledge that statement seems ungrateful!!!)!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well..setting a quit date is a good thing. Forgive me...just worried bout what could happen to you in the interim. (Hey I'm co-dependent and alcoholic..lol)
Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by JasonBasin View Post
You can know something is harming you without having the volition to do something about it! I know you guys are keen to get me dry but I do have a plan...I know it sounds naive but in my head it makes sense...I don't want to seem ungrateful but August it is (Secretly I acknowledge that statement seems ungrateful!!!)!
It's certainly your decision Jason. I can't speak for everyone but yes, i'm personally suggesting that quitting sooner than later might be a good idea. And i am very aware that only you can make the decision - just as many had spoken to me about my drinking before I quit.

I would recommend keeping a very close eye on your liver function though and being very honest with your doctor over the next few months. You are literally gambling with your life here - and not metaphorically.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Jason

You know, it won't be any easier to quit in August than it is now. There's never an easy time to quit. You might think now that it's likely to be easier after holidays, but I imagine there's a high chance that after holidays you'll feel down because holidays are over and find another reason to put off quitting until you've got over getting over the return from holidays. I went for years planning quitting. Quitting tomorrow is always easy. Quitting today is where the real battle is.

Three bottles a day is a dangerous amount to be getting your liver to be dealing with. You've found out that your liver is already damaged so you are putting a huge strain on a damaged liver. It's like thrashing an engine that is already failing. As liver function decays then more strain is put on the remaining liver, without any change in drinking, and so remaining liver function decays faster, and so it goes on....Sadly many alcoholics leave it too late - the liver becomes damaged beyond the point of repair.

To be tough - you've got to be mad to not want to quit today. Alcohol is damaging your ability to think reasonably (as it so frequently does). No sane person would drink three bottles a day on a damaged liver. Wake up man! You're in the serious deep end of chronic alcoholism. You need to quit and get your brain thinking straight again.

Sorry to be harsh - but, boy, do you need a metaphorical slap around the chops to wake you up from your alcoholic stupor of thought.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi Jason,
Perhaps you posted here so many months before your 'quit date' because your subconscious needed the gentle guidance of so many like minded folks to help steer you to sobriety a little sooner.
Making a commitment to a specific date is a good thing, however, making a commitment to a specific date so far in the future could lend itself to failure.

I wish you all the best, being sober is tremendoulsy satisfying!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Micheal,

Loved the slap in the face...I am seeing my best friend who wants me to stop drinking at the weekend and will seek supervision from her. I think I am in denial as to the physical impact...I have unfortunately as a mental health nurse worked with people in late stage alcoholism and I really should not compare myself to them.

Okay...I still think my brain is telling me to go to AA in August but my promise is to speak openly with my best friend and Dr about my drinking. I am so annoyingly strong minded...once cycled 874 miles in 3 days 15 hours (Jasonnomates on youtube, soooo modest about it!!!) but now that volition is biting me in the booty!!!

I will keep listening...

Jason.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Okay...I still think my brain is telling me to go to AA in August but my promise is to speak openly with my best friend and Dr about my drinking. I am so annoyingly strong minded...once cycled 874 miles in 3 days 15 hours (Jasonnomates on youtube, soooo modest about it!!!) but now that volition is biting me in the booty!!!

I will keep listening...

Jason.
I think a doctor visit would be a great step, as well as an honest conversation while there about your current health/liver issues and your plan to keep drinking heavily.

What you did in the past physically really has no bearing. And while being strong minded can be a good thing, it cannot repair existing liver damage. But it CAN prevent further damage if you do decide to quit.

You mentioned you have a daughter and a very supportive family. Is it honestly not worth it to you to at least get checked out and find out how bad things really are for their sake?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Yes Scott. I have tonight made an appointment with my doctor. Harsh is sometimes helpful...No promises but I have made a small step.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

We drunks are a stubborn and determined lot. Look at the lengths and consequences we face and endure just to stay drunk! Read some of these stories and see the endurance and fortitude and battery we put ourselves through just to get another drink...despite all horrendous consequences. Now when we just channel that power for the good of ourselves...now THAT'S something. This thread is continuing to grow by some stubborn and strong minded folks who just want you to rethink that quit date.

I'm glad to read that you are talking to a friend this weekend bout it...that's a good lean.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes Scott. I have tonight made an appointment with my doctor. Harsh is sometimes helpful...No promises but I have made a small step.
The only person you need to keep the promise to is yourself! Best of luck and hope you find some useful information at the Doc, be safe!