Notices

Beginning my journey of sobriety

Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beginning my journey of sobriety

Today is the day I begin to change my life.

I have been a very heavy drinker for 12 years and realise that I need to change. The alcohol abuse was due to a very unhappy childhood and teenage years.

I now hold down a full-time job and realise that losing myself in alcohol is never going to be the clever way forward.

I have tried many times to give up, but have always slipped back into bad habits.

But today feels very different somehow, and I hope that today is the beginning of a new way forward for me.

I would really appreciate the support of others in my journey.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR! It's a great place for support and knowledge.

Originally Posted by jrrolive View Post
I have tried many times to give up, but have always slipped back into bad habits.
What are you planning to do differently this time that will enable success?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have realised that I cannot be an occasional/social drinker. Life without alcohol seems scary, but I feel if I eliminate it altogether, rather than trying to kid myself that "one won't hurt" (the "one" always leads to the next and the next etc.) then I will be taking a more positive step forward.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Like yourself, I tried several times to give up but slipped into old habits after 50 days or so. Alcohol is very deceptive and your brain after you've had a period of sobriety will start to suppress any negative memories you had of the negative feelings and consequences you may have experienced when you last drank and will only allow you to remember the positives. The thing is once you cross a sort of invisible line into alcoholism, you will never experience those positive feelings of relaxation and euphoria etc. that you did when you first started drinking. Just remind yourself of that each time you feel you're on the edge of slipping back into it. And also remember the fact that each time you slip, the drinking will become worse. Or at least that's what happened to me.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck, take one day at a time, if you are truly ready you will do it!

Best of luck!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR JRR, you've come to a great place if your intention is to quit drinking. The newcomers forum here is great for just about any question you might have. Also check out the other forums relating to AA/NA/12 Step and Secular recovery methods to see if one ( or several ) might help you along the way. Making the decision to finally quit is a big one, and congrats for doing so. Now the real work begins...it will not be easy or pleasant initially, but well worth it in the long run. Read lots and ask lots, we were all at day 1 before too.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

today is your new start
Old 06-10-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome jrrolive. There are so many here with insightful ways to understand as best as we can what alcoholism is and what it does to our lives. It's very damaging and controlling. We have to gain that control over it. We have to realize that this is not an easy journey. ScottfromWI is right on the money - it's not easy. If it were everyone would be sober. When we hit a smooth road, we tend to think "whew......". But, the bumps can rear their ugly heads again, and it's how we handle them. I've had my share. I'm just returning. And I, too, have been battling this for about 11 or 12 years. You do need to find a way that works for you, there are many options as noted above. What works for one, may not work for another. But, when you find a method that works for you, that is what matters. I wish you health and happiness in this journey. Be well.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
Like yourself, I tried several times to give up but slipped into old habits after 50 days or so. Alcohol is very deceptive and your brain after you've had a period of sobriety will start to suppress any negative memories you had of the negative feelings and consequences you may have experienced when you last drank and will only allow you to remember the positives. The thing is once you cross a sort of invisible line into alcoholism, you will never experience those positive feelings of relaxation and euphoria etc. that you did when you first started drinking. Just remind yourself of that each time you feel you're on the edge of slipping back into it. And also remember the fact that each time you slip, the drinking will become worse. Or at least that's what happened to me.
100% agree. I had to come to the realization that not only had I paid enough, I was about to cross over into giving it everything I had. All or nothing. The first 2 months was pretty rough for me, but now I am getting periods of time where I am just at peace with it.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR

Originally Posted by jrrolive View Post
Life without alcohol seems scary,...
I believe you will find life without alcohol more enjoyable than you know.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're very glad to have you with us, jrr. I hope you'll find SR to be helpful & supportive as you begin your sober life.

I had to make the decision to stop all together too. I tried for years to control the amounts, but it just wasn't happening. It was so good to be free of it. I know you can do this.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to our community. You will find lots of support and encouragement here. I am glad you found us and look forward to sharing your journey.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Jrrolive

D