Notices

waiting for biopsy results

Old 06-09-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

waiting for biopsy results

I haven't posted for a long time. Two weeks ago I had my first mammogram. It showed some problems. A few days later I had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. Still showed problems. Late last week I had a biopsy. Now I'm waiting for the results. Am I drinking? Yes. How do you get through this without it? The only reason I got the mammogram is that I finally decided to take my depression and anxiety seriously. I mean, I was all in. I was very serious about it. I was very ready to take control. I was very honest with my Dr, and I felt so good about it. She was like, you are 42, so you should get a mammogram. I was like, OK. Sign me up. There's no breast cancer in my family. I was not the least bit worried.

Mental illness is what runs in my family. That's always been the health issue I have been concerned about. Not cancer.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Etta - good to see you again, but I'm sorry for what you're going through.
I understand the temptation to get numb when you're dealing with something like this. I did it many times, but found that it just added to my anxiety.

I hope you'll stay here with us. It might help to keep talking about how you're feeling. We care.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Please , put down the drink. Waiting for the results is worrisome, yes , but what is drinking going to solve ?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Etta

I understand worry and concern too - but I agree with Hevyn - drinking ultimately adds to the anxiety, and solves nothing really...just creates another problem to deal with.

I feared the worst with some results once too. I counted my blessings, put myself in God's hands, stayed sober and dealt with the fear best I could.

Turned out to be nothing.

Hope it is for you too.
hope you get a good, speedy, result

DF
Old 06-09-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much. I'm scared and this is a wake up call. I need to take better care of myself. I've done a ton of research on breast cancer recently and heavy drinking is a risk factor. Whatever the outcome of my biopsy, I need to stop doing this.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey etta. Sorry bout this. But please don't sweat it, k? I'm sure thngs will come bac fine. I kno how u r feelin tho. I found out I had cancer at age 28. Not that u do. I'm just saying I know all the fears and anxiety I went thru. Had 2 do 15 years of checkin. Seems I'm ok now. It was minor, I was lucky. Don't borrow trble k? U will be ok. Whtevr hppns u will be ok. And I'm prayin and hoping you are just fine. God bless,m
Old 06-09-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Sending prayers that all will be OK.....

I know it's probably hard to believe right now, but I found that I could handle things SO much better after I quit drinking. I didn't realize how much of my depression and anxiety was caused by alcohol.

Good to see you back with us!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

got through my biopsy with prayer

Originally Posted by Etta View Post

Late last week I had a biopsy.

Am I drinking? Yes.

How do you get through this without it?
my doctor years back took a biopsy
pathology called a couple of days later and said
"thing don't look very good"
turned out in the end all was all right (minus a few teeth)
those two or three days waiting on the couch for results
I'm glad that I was sober
makes it much easier to pray
Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Many thoughts and prayers! This is my biggest fear!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Etta,

I hope the results won't take long. Waiting for medical results is agonizing. I worried a lot about the breast cancer risk and heavy drinking myself. I am a cancer survivor and even though it does not run in my family, my treatments put me in a risk for developing it. I check myself often.

I am so sorry you are going through this. Please know that either way, drinking will only make it worse. You'll want to be in good health no matter the result - positive or negative. Please update us when you get the biopsy results. Hang in there.

-first
Old 06-09-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

I haven't posted for a long time. Two weeks ago I had my first mammogram. It showed some problems. A few days later I had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. Still showed problems. Late last week I had a biopsy. Now I'm waiting for the results. Am I drinking? Yes. How do you get through this without it? The only reason I got the mammogram is that I finally decided to take my depression and anxiety seriously. I mean, I was all in. I was very serious about it. I was very ready to take control. I was very honest with my Dr, and I felt so good about it. She was like, you are 42, so you should get a mammogram. I was like, OK. Sign me up. There's no breast cancer in my family. I was not the least bit worried.

Mental illness is what runs in my family. That's always been the health issue I have been concerned about. Not cancer.

Well, drinking will not help you through any of this, but you already know that. I think you were just waiting for the right reason to come along so you could reach for the bottle. If this isnt the time to take charge of your health, more than any other time in your life, then I dont know what is.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you were just waiting for the right reason to come along so you could reach for the bottle.
Hmmm...I don't know how you could know this without a crystal ball, Nighthawk?

My own cancer scare turned out to be literally nothing...but it was still one of the most shattering experiences of my life - I didn't drink, and I can't condone it cos it's no solution...but I darn sure understand why people do.

D
Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hmmm...I don't know how you could know this without a crystal ball, Nighthawk?

My own cancer scare turned out to be literally nothing...but it was still one of the most shattering experiences of my life - I didn't drink, and I can't condone it cos it's no solution...but I darn sure understand why people do.

D
Yes. Cancer sucks. I understand how easy it would be to fall off the wagon with so much uncertainty, anxiety and running endless worst case scenarios in one's head. Etta one thing should be certain to you, your health and your life are very important to you, or you would not have fallen off the wagon to begin with. Keep your health intact, Etta. Hugs to you...
Old 06-10-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not that this will make you feel any better, but I have had many biopsies and worried myself to the point of craziness and thank God, they all came out normal.

Please do not drink anymore. It does not help in the long run.

Thoughts and prayers to you for a good outcome.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Believe it or not there is good news. Nobody wants cancer, but in so far as cancer goes, breast is one of the few where the remedy is well prescribed, with tremendous success rates. My sister in law had a trifecta of breast cancer including the brac gene. She had a double mastectomy, took out her uterus and ovaries- all before 40. But you know what? She kept her head up, straight and positive. You need all your wits and strength about you right now, regardless of outcome. Alcohol can't help you now. Your best defense is a strong offense, and only a sober mind and heart will give you that. It likely is nothing, but if it is something, you will win. But you have to win sober.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're going through this and I know the waiting is the hardest thing. I used to think that I couldn't get through a given situation without alcohol too. But, I learned to and you can learn to do it also. It will get easier each time you get through something. And, as long as you turn to alcohol for stress, you will not move forward with your recovery.

And, yes, I see you know that alcoholism is a risk factor in breast cancer, so stopping drinking is the way to go.

You can do this, and please let us know the results of your test.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I got my results today. It's benign! I am so relieved. I keep getting choked up and crying a little, but they are tears of joy! I have been worried sick for the last two weeks, unable to focus at work and not wanting to do anything but wait for the results and google breast cancer obsessively.

I "celebrated" by calling and texting a few friends who I had talked to about it and who helped me through it, and then worked a little late to get caught up on some stuff I couldn't seem to focus on last week. Then I picked up dinner, and now I am thanking you all for your support! Next I am going to bed. No need for alcohol tonight. I know I will sleep better tonight than I have in weeks. Thank you again! What a great day.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I got my results today. It's benign! I am so relieved. I keep getting choked up and crying a little, but they are tears of joy! I have been worried sick for the last two weeks, unable to focus at work and not wanting to do anything but wait for the results and google breast cancer obsessively.

I "celebrated" by calling and texting a few friends who I had talked to about it and who helped me through it, and then worked a little late to get caught up on some stuff I couldn't seem to focus on last week. Then I picked up dinner, and now I am thanking you all for your support! Next I am going to bed. No need for alcohol tonight. I know I will sleep better tonight than I have in weeks. Thank you again! What a great day.
What a relief Etta. So happy to hear that, and hopefully you are already getting some well deserved sleep!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad for you Etta - great news

D
Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good news.....what a relief for you. Heading to bed without alcohol......more good news