Notices

Those pesky summer parties

Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Those pesky summer parties

I live in the wine country, and summer means weekend after weekend of barbecues, dinner parties, and long afternoons of wine tasting. My husband works in the wine industry, so it's not something I can easily get away from.

My first sober summer is daunting and unfamiliar, but yesterday and today I attended parties and did not drink. A few times I caught myself watching the ladies with their beautiful glasses of Sauvignon Blanc and thinking maybe I'm just being dramatic and self-indulgent by believing I have this drinking problem. Maybe it's time to snap out of this little game I'm playing and go back to normal life where I can enjoy a glass of wine like everyone else. I really did feel like the only person in the world who wasn't drinking.

But then I thought of you guys here on SR, and I actually visualized all of you standing with me at the party. We far outnumbered the drinkers, and I felt so much better knowing I am not alone.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Briar. Don't listen to the lies

D
Old 06-08-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had much the same experience tonight. SR has been so helpful because I know people like you are at the same party in another part of the world.

Thank you for being there! Your strength I'd inspiring.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Briar - I will borrow that thought on Wednesday when I'm at an industry dinner.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

briar... you are awesome! and thank you for the visual of having our SR friends beside you in tough times. i'm most definitely going to use that when needed, if that's okay by you!
Old 06-09-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
d thinking maybe I'm just being dramatic and self-indulgent by believing I have this drinking problem. Maybe it's time to snap out of this little game I'm playing and go back to normal life where I can enjoy a glass of wine like everyone else.
You pretty much captured one of my constant thought processes there.
THANK YOU. Seriously. I've been sitting here thinking I SHOULD go to the fair today with all its 'lovely' alcohol and be 'normal' instead of an alcoholic killjoy.
Now I'm not. Even though I'm drinking I'm not going to be selfish enough to force myself on my family so as I can convince myself I'm normal.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
I live in the wine country, and summer means weekend after weekend of barbecues, dinner parties, and long afternoons of wine tasting. My husband works in the wine industry, so it's not something I can easily get away from.

My first sober summer is daunting and unfamiliar, but yesterday and today I attended parties and did not drink. A few times I caught myself watching the ladies with their beautiful glasses of Sauvignon Blanc and thinking maybe I'm just being dramatic and self-indulgent by believing I have this drinking problem. Maybe it's time to snap out of this little game I'm playing and go back to normal life where I can enjoy a glass of wine like everyone else. I really did feel like the only person in the world who wasn't drinking.

But then I thought of you guys here on SR, and I actually visualized all of you standing with me at the party. We far outnumbered the drinkers, and I felt so much better knowing I am not alone.

Congrats on sticking to it. You deserve a better life, and I am glad you were able to rise above those thoughts you had about maybe not having a problem, or "Maybe it's time to snap out of this little game I'm playing and go back to normal life where I can enjoy a glass of wine like everyone else." That is the addict part of your brain talking, and I think people dont realize this and that is when relapse happens. You may want to limit your exposure to these parties until you are a little more established in your sobriety. Why face unneeded temptation right now, right? You made some excellent choices though, and you should feel proud. You didnt let the addiction trick you back into the life you are working to get out of. BOOYA!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great choice ! You live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Awesome tactic .
Forget the crapy wine and enjoy the fantastic food and abundent sunshine!
Let the drinkers enjoy their wonderful hangovers.