SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Antabuse and tired? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/297207-antabuse-tired.html)

stubbs 06-08-2013 07:45 PM

Antabuse and tired?

Hello everyone,I was just wondering if any of you who have tried Antabuse or are currently using it have experienced tiredness?Because I use to be able to get up at 4am for work pretty easy but since I quit drinking and using the antabuse I have a real hard time getting up.Thanks!

FreddyBear 06-08-2013 07:51 PM

I have tried prolonged Disulfiram injection. No side effects except metallic taste on my tongue. Drank on it after 40 days without a problem, though.

Nighthawk8820 06-08-2013 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by stubbs (Post 4005768)
Hello everyone,I was just wondering if any of you who have tried Antabuse or are currently using it have experienced tiredness?Because I use to be able to get up at 4am for work pretty easy but since I quit drinking and using the antabuse I have a real hard time getting up.Thanks!

It may not be the antibuse, but just your body healing in general. Your sleep cycle is effected so negatively from alcohol abuse that it takes a while to get back on track. Sometimes I would sleep super light, if at all, and other times I am dead to the world and can barely wake up. It will level itself out in a few months, so stick with it. Sleeping deep is better than not being able to sleep at all, right?

Taking5 06-08-2013 09:01 PM

I came here to say what NightHawk said. Sleep takes some getting used to. I would also run this by your Dr.

stubbs 06-09-2013 07:41 AM

Thanks guys,
It probably is my body getting back to normal.Hopefully in a couple more weeks ill be adjusted.Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

Ranger83 07-29-2013 07:59 AM

Stubbs, how's it going? I'm thinking of taking Antabuse because Naltrexone had no effect (in fact it was worse than nothing, because it made me feel like crap, and drinking actually made me feel better). I'm on Librium now, and that helps reduce cravings a little, like maybe 50%, but not nearly enough to stop me having the first beer, after which there is no barrier to having the next ten beers or glasses of wine or whatever. I'm an HFA, by the way.

Dee74 07-29-2013 04:03 PM

Have you tried other things besides medication Ranger - Support/recovery groups/counselling etc?

D

Ranger83 07-29-2013 07:40 PM

Thanks - yes, I've tried all of the above multiple times each. Five years of that which did not do the job, so now I'll try antabuse.

Dee74 07-29-2013 08:28 PM

Ok :)

I hope you can find something that helps you to a long term solution that comes from within you, cos I think everyone needs that.

Check with your Dr though - antabuse is not suitable for everyone.
It's not foolproof either I'm afraid.

D

gigi123 07-30-2013 02:04 AM

Antabuse and sleep

I am on my second round of taking Antabuse. It has not interfered with my sleep at all. The first time around I was with a whole bunch of other people in rehab who were also taking it. We'd ingest it, under supervision around 4:00PM.

If you think it's interfering with your sleep, maybe you can try taking it midday with food? Just a suggestion. It works and stays in your system no matter what time of day you take it.

Like others, I think your sleep issues have to do with your body adjusting to do without alcohol.

Truck on and please, no matter the temptation, do NOT drink on antabuse. I conveniently "forgot" to take a pill for three days at one point, drank, and got as sick as a dog. I honestly thought I was going to have a heart attack, in my thirties. The only thing that kept me from ER that night was taking a bunch of anti anxiety meds, pacing and praying to any deity that would listen to my prayers. Desperate times, you know....

sugarbear1 07-30-2013 02:29 AM

It's the not drinking and your body healing and your brain learning to sleep normally; I don't think it's the antabuse.....