Notices

When will I be less exhausted?

Old 06-08-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When will I be less exhausted?

I'm on day 7 and crushingly tired. I've been getting lots of sleeping at night, keeping active by walking for at least an hour every day, eating decently well and drinking plenty of water. When will I be less tired?
Old 06-08-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

My tiredness and lethargy peaked at around 10 days, and then began to slowly improve with lots of peaks and valleys since then.

Congrats on 7 days!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you talked to your dr? It might be a good idea.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Have you talked to your dr? It might be a good idea.
Aside from a hangover on the first day (because I drank too much the night before) I've had no physical withdrawal symptoms. Should I be concerned about something?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too had no physical withdrawal other then the initial hangover! I was exhausted like a wave would come over me of unexpected eye watering blurry headed exhaustion. I too was sleeping well at night. Keep doing what your doing. The extreme exhaustion lasted about the first month. I'm sober two months now and have found I'm back to a normal level of energy!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Iwanttobebetter View Post
Aside from a hangover on the first day (because I drank too much the night before) I've had no physical withdrawal symptoms. Should I be concerned about something?
Just talk to your doctor about how exhausted you are. I'd give it some time tho to see if you don't get your energy back soon. You are very early in recovery and it takes time to really feel better.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think that might have been the don't-give-or-ask-for-medical-advice sort of go-see-your-doctor. (There was a two-for-one special on hyphens at my keyboard today.)

From what I've seen, lots of people report feeling exhausted for the first month or so. Some people seem to feel it longer, some for less time, and a few people I've read on here seem to have escaped exhaustion, though I didn't follow anyone's posts in particular to see if they ever crashed out.

In other words, while drinking damages your body badly and seeing your doc is never a bad idea, feeling a bit wiped out your first few weeks isn't necessarily a warning sign of anything, especially if you've also just added new exercise to the mix.

Bodies aren't keen on change and yours will need some time to remember how to function sober. The length of time it will take before your energy level is "normal" again is a function of so many factors, known and unknown, that you'll probably just have to wait it out to find out.

(Is that ok Anna? I just don't want him/her to have the impression that the exhaustion is inherently unusual or scary.)
Old 06-08-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(Wow, I'm a slow typer....the two people above me had it covered. I just had the compose screen open too long to see their very good answers pop up.)
Old 06-08-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Iwanttobebetter - It took me a couple weeks to feel less beat up. We've put our bodies through a lot of punishment - it takes time to heal from it.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am super tired too! A month of this....ugh!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iwanttobebetter View Post
I'm on day 7 and crushingly tired. I've been getting lots of sleeping at night, keeping active by walking for at least an hour every day, eating decently well and drinking plenty of water. When will I be less tired?
Takes longer for some than others. Hang in there! It will happen. You taking B12? Helped me.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses! It's good to hear what I'm going through isn't unusual. I'm an anxious person, especially about health related stuff so I tend to look at everything as a symptom of something else.
I am taking a B complex every day.
I guess I need to give it more time. Off to bed soon. Hope my kids let me get some rest tonight.
Thanks all
Old 06-08-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I was exhausted for about two months and slept sooooo much. It eased up after that...give it time.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I, too, experienced this exhaustion. Felt like a truck had hit me. I am now on Day 34 and it has gotten better, but still have those days. I just keep thinking it will all be worth it. Hang in there, you are not alone!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Like some of the others I was very tired for the first four to six weeks and I slept for at least nine hours a night, that's easing back now as I come up to twelve weeks. I think my body was healing itself.