Notices

Where to turn?

Old 06-09-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

I got on my knees and begged god to take my addiction away and swore I was willing to do WHATEVER it took to get my life back. I felt like I was late for my own life, like I was running to catch up. I was in a dark cycle for 5 years, but I broke free with sheer willpower and god, and it worked so far. You need to change everything about yourself, not just removing the toxic substance. New people, new places, new everything. You cant stay in the same cycle, and just expect everything to change by removing the drugs and booze. You can get yourself and your life back, but it takes a while, and its oh so worth it. You can read my story if you click my name and look at my posts.........its under stories. your addiction is STRONG, so you will have to build up strength to beat it, but it can be done. View this as the battle for your life and happiness..........the most important battle you will ever endure. God bless you buddy, I believe you can be a success.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I know what you mean - it's the one time out of 10 that keeps us hooked. I lived that way for a long time - trying everything to control what I drank so I wouldn't have to give it up. The result was awful. I trashed every area of my life. I hope it won't have to come to that for you - you already see where this is headed. I had to come close to losing everything before I finally admitted I couldn't touch it ever again.

I think it is possible to recover even when there's still some allure. You just have to finally admit that it's not going to take you where you need to go - ever. I'm a good bit older than you. In my 40's I was still determined to make it work somehow. I wish I'd admitted I was struggling, like you are. There can be a happy ending here Snowed.
What do you do when you start thinking about that one time out of ten? If it's not too personal then I'd like to ask what exactly do you say to yourself?
I tell myself 'it's not worth it' and all the usual things but they just feel like cliches now.
It's good to hear from someone who has had these problems for longer than I have - it makes it harder to write myself off. Thank you.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
instant

I feel for your situation. For me i stumbled accross a fundamental change, that i had little awareness of at the time. Within 24 hours it felt like i had jumped out a plane without a prachute but I was still prepared to say "so what".

I came to view that mindset as surrender and not running from pain, rather than panic i came to have a sense of peace.

SR is the only therapist I ever had. I love the wisdom of crowds.