Notices

Are alcoholics welcome in closed NA meetings?

Old 06-08-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
oak

Are alcoholics welcome in closed NA meetings?

Hi, Are alcoholics welcome in closed NA meetings (if I identify as an addict when I introduce myself)?

I did struggle with OTC pills a long time ago but currently my struggle is more with alcohol. (But it sounds like NA does not view the DOC as significant; but instead looks at addiction as the overall problem.)
I read the NA website and it looks like they consider alcohol to be just another drug. I liked the concept that the drug of choice does not matter.

I know this is the newcomers forum and we cannot debate recovery methods. I just want to know if I am welcome in a closed NA group (and is introducing myself as an 'addict' important in a closed group).

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Are regular AA meetings hard to find in your area? If you want to go, try it and see if you get something out of it. Not quite sure why you would have a preference for NA if Alcohol is your current issue? Never been to NA, but I think you would qualify. The converse is true too, lots of poly users in AA, some of whom would technically "qualify" more for NA actually prefer AA and they are welcome at the meetings I've been to. I would say try it and see if it works for you.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not sure of this cause I'm not in NA but I believe they look less at the doc and more at the addiction overall. But don't quote me on that as I'm not sure. Someone with more experience will be along to answer your question.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I go to both NA and AA, and in one of the beginning readings for NA, they mention that alcohol is a drug. I personally find NA meetings much more relaxing because it seems that the members are less strict on what is being said. When I went to AA meetings, there were a lot of older members who would throw a fit if you mentioned anything other than alcohol. My sponsor is from AA and he doesn't do any drug other than alcohol. However, he has come to NA meetings with me numerous times. Basically, if your drug of choice is alcohol then you qualify for the meeting.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

its allowed around here. any mind or mood altering substance.
it could get pretty crazy if it got too technical, like only alcoholics that drank whiskey at an AA meeting or only addicts that used narcotics at an NA meeting.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

any chance you have read the big book of AA or the basic text of NA?
Old 06-08-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
oak

Thank you everyone! I will try going even though I am terrified.

tomsteve- I've read the BB and some of the NA It Works book.

Recovery- thanks for saying that NA specifically includes alcohol in the literature. That makes me feel more like I will be welcome.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oak View Post

Hi, Are alcoholics welcome in closed NA meetings (if I identify as an addict when I introduce myself)?
nothing wrong with that
Old 06-08-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oak , just find a lead meeting (L) they read the beginning preamble , then the lead is a speaker that tells his story ,then it's over, cake walk
Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
oak

I went to the NA meeting tonight and it was fantastic. People were so nice and welcoming. Two people welcomed me at the door and we got into a discussion of NA being welcoming to anyone with any substance addiction. I relaxed a lot at that moment.

I found a cool AA meeting a few days ago. And I will probably try SMART or LifeRing again too.

I just moved to a new town, and it has been harder than I expected to find f2f support. This has been a difficult week for me, and that has pushed me to find more support- which in the end is a good thing!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome
Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oak View Post

I did struggle with OTC pills a long time ago but currently my struggle is more with alcohol. (But it sounds like NA does not view the DOC as significant; but instead looks at addiction as the overall problem.)
I read the NA website and it looks like they consider alcohol to be just another drug. I liked the concept that the drug of choice does not matter.

I know this is the newcomers forum and we cannot debate recovery methods. I just want to know if I am welcome in a closed NA group (and is introducing myself as an 'addict' important in a closed group).

Thanks!

YES I am an alcoholic and addict, We in NA consider alcohol a drug. So some on by!