Notices

A teeny-tiny confession

Old 06-08-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
So I figured I should post this. If anyone knows/ever read my story you would know that when I quit drinking I said I would not drink until my anniversary and then my husband and I would get drunk.

Well my anniversary,June 2nd, rolled around and I didn't want to get drunk. We went to a restaurant and had to wait 15 minutes,so they sat us at the bar. Hubby had a beer and I said "I wonder if they have Sprite?" Hubby said "why dont you get some wine or something?" So I ordered a glass of "white zin" It was fruity and light and tasty. A thought flitted through my head as I was staring at the rows and rows of liquor, I could start taking shots and noone would stop me. But, alas, the wiser me knew better. I would have to face my baby-sitter drunk, I would be an idiot, what if my toddler got up through the night, the hangover, and the guilt, stopped me.

I made that glass of wine last me over an hour. I sipped water, I ate a huge meal and just took teeny sips of the wine. I knew that if I felt a buzz I would be in the danger zone.

So that was it. We went and had ice cream, went home, and were sleeping by 10pm, lol.

That's my confession. I drank. I controlled it, I moderated. I have no desire to do it again, because it was all so carefully executed it was more like a job to have that wine.
Am I condoning moderation?? Absolutely NOT!!
I had to have an inner heart-to-heart to keep myself from getting shots, and I never would've had that convo if I wasn't at a bar, sipping wine.
I also don't want to have another glass of wine anymore. It was nice for a change to have a glass of wine like a responsible adult, but for me it's kind of like, what's the point, if I'm not trying to get drunk, Id rather have fizzy water.
So I'm glad I got that out of the way, and in fact I feel better now, stronger about my sobriety. I conquered my voice that day.
Hi from MN again. You have 8 days of sobriety in on me. I had a slip back at the end of April. I was quitting smoking and freaked out. Used it as an excuse to get a bottle of whiskey. I managed to get down 3 drinks and I had fire from the bottom of by belly to the back of my throat. Dumped the rest of the booze because I was afraid I would push through it and finish the bottle. It did teach me something. My body had adapted to the onslaught of alcohol but now it refuses to tolerate it. Its over. Like it or not it's really over. I know what you mean about there being a buzz line that flips that switch. More rain tomorrow, but at least it's not snow.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My relapse started with just one glass of wine on one special occasion. I went back out for another year. It was ugly. I'm 4 months sober. I know I can never have "a glass of wine" again. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yes, you probably got out of that O.K. It's like you've been walking along a narrow ridge and wondering whether it might be O.K. to throw the rope away and take a step closer to the edge, just for old time's sake. "I can always draw back and rope up again because now I'm in control. I'll do it just this once. There will be no next time."
I wonder if down there, the beast is chuckling a bit in his cage, thinking to himself. "Next time? I can always wait. Time means nothing to me!"
It's a dangerous game-playing "Just one" with alcohol, giving the old race horse another smell of the track. like the guy who was tracking the tiger, or thought he was. But he happened to look over his shoulder and what do you suppose he saw a few feet to the rear?

W.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

P.S. As another post observed, what's with your husband? Does he really think that "one glass of wine" is O.K. for you? Or does he just want a drinking buddy and hasn't thought much about the rest?

W.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
She means her wedding anniversary, not her sobriety anniversary.

The way I understand it Arctic is that you initially quit by making this deal with yourself... Quit drinking and as a reward, get drunk on June 2. Then when you arrived at June 2, you realized you didn't need the carrot anymore.

That's awesome! It sounds to me like your sobriety's gained all new meaning. Congrats on the learning experience. Yes a risky one and would've been great if you'd stuck to sprite, but I'm glad you made it through safely.
That's right Fantail! When I quit I could not fathom never drinking again. The thought terrified and overwhelmed me.(and gave me a rebellious, resentful attitude). That's why I gave myself a goal and "reward". Which I see know was probably my alcoholic voice trying to get a drink again.

Yeah, I know it was a HORRIBLE idea, you are all right.

As for that glass of wine eventually leading to a relapse and downward spiral, gosh I hope not! It sure doesn't feel that way now....

Actually yes, since that glass, the thought(that I'm in control and maybe I can drink) has entered my mind more then before the glass of wine....but I snatch it up and throw it away, because I recognize it, it's B.S.

Oh, and as for the husband thing. His intentions are good. We ALLLLLL know how hard it is for a non-drinker to understand a drinkers problems. I'm guessing (i dont know for sure) he thought I did such a good job not drinking for 4 months that I deserved a reward, and he thought it would make me happy.
No, he will never see me as a hard-core alcoholic and treat me as such. His Dad was a "hard-core alcoholic" who ruined his family, job, marriage, life, went to jail, rehab, lost his liscense, etc. and tried to quit again and again and again. And could not. Very sad stuff.
Now,my husband sees me, who liked to sit around a campfire and drink too many beers, then decide she needs to quit, so does, immediately.Not a problem in his eyes.
I dont know what else to do in that situation. Just say no I guess!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
P.S. As another post observed, what's with your husband? Does he really think that "one glass of wine" is O.K. for you? Or does he just want a drinking buddy and hasn't thought much about the rest?

W.
Answered you in above post Painter
Old 06-09-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My child is now grown so I don't have to worry about a babysitter or waking up to be the mom my child needs. If you didn't have that would you have been able to abstain? Make sure you stay sober for yourself and not your child or family.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I don't know, Artic. I clearly remember your earlier threads and they were about a lot more then just sitting around a camp fire drinking. In those threads your husband was far from a "non-drinker".

Your very first thread here was "I need to tell my story and I need help" In that opening thread you stated your husband and you had polished off more then 30 beers and you ended up blacking out. You also posted "He has no problem not drinking all week but then binging on the weekends". That very first thread of yours revealed you were drinking a lot.

There was your "Blood in Puke" thread that had a lot of us very concerned for you.

I also distinctly remember the thread titled "Help! My hubby has an idea!" where in part you posted he said you should just cut back and he told you, you were just over reacting.

About three weeks ago you started a thread "Almost Drank and Scared" where among other things, you posted "I want to drink like a normal person, and I cant".

I'm glad you apparently ended up drinking only one glass of wine on your anniversary yet I can't help but be quite concerned for you. I hope that drink you planned for you anniversary has not re-awakened the beast and instead has given you better insight into your drinking of alcohol.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I see how this is a "win" in the sense that you're plan was to take a year off drinking and then get drunk on your anniversary. You did not. You valued your sobriety much more and found that having to "moderate" was tedious and chorelike and what the heck is the point.
I am a week today sober and I have thought about the whole one or two drink thing and thought to myself...I drink to get drunk..so what's the point of one or two? I digress..

I loved your post...and I say congrats on not getting drunk.
But as a post above says...I would be fretting..yup..that I awakened a weakened beast.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sounds to me as though you have been obsessing about that anniversary drink and promised it to yourself as your reward? Alcohol is now telling you that you can drink like a normal person can. This disease wants us dead, it lies to us, it tells us we are not really alcoholics. Please, please, please don't listen to it. Stay strong.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think total abstinence is something we should universally support, and it makes me uncomfortable to see that some have congratulated you on this "accomplishment".

That being said, what you is your business. Good luck - your post reminds me that I'm better off making sure my own backyard is clean before criticizing my neighbor's.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Received View Post
I don't know, Artic. I clearly remember your earlier threads and they were about a lot more then just sitting around a camp fire drinking. In those threads your husband was far from a "non-drinker".

Your very first thread here was "I need to tell my story and I need help" In that opening thread you stated your husband and you had polished off more then 30 beers and you ended up blacking out. You also posted "He has no problem not drinking all week but then binging on the weekends". That very first thread of yours revealed you were drinking a lot.

There was your "Blood in Puke" thread that had a lot of us very concerned for you.

I also distinctly remember the thread titled "Help! My hubby has an idea!" where in part you posted he said you should just cut back and he told you, you were just over reacting.

About three weeks ago you started a thread "Almost Drank and Scared" where among other things, you posted "I want to drink like a normal person, and I cant".

I'm glad you apparently ended up drinking only one glass of wine on your anniversary yet I can't help but be quite concerned for you. I hope that drink you planned for you anniversary has not re-awakened the beast and instead has given you better insight into your drinking of alcohol.
I guess I should clarify, hubby is not an alcoholic, not a non-drinker.
And I wasn't trying to minimize my drinking by saying I drank around campfires, I'm saying that's how I think my hubby views it.
I am quite aware I had a very bad drinking problem, and I already reiterated that it was a bad idea to have the glass of wine. I'm not sure why you are bringing up all those posts??
Old 06-09-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Liverbirdlou View Post
Sounds to me as though you have been obsessing about that anniversary drink and promised it to yourself as your reward? Alcohol is now telling you that you can drink like a normal person can. This disease wants us dead, it lies to us, it tells us we are not really alcoholics. Please, please, please don't listen to it. Stay strong.
Oh I am aware of it, and I won't listen to it. But in all honesty I was not obsessing over it.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Smile

Oh I am aware of it, and I won't listen to it. But in all honesty I was not obsessing over it.
Sounds like u know how serious it could've been, and sharin your experience is always good (we r only as sick as our secrets). I have many friends who started on a slippery slope to relapse by just having one drink. I hope I didn't sound as tho I was telling you off!, we have to look out for each other in recovery and I was concerned for you. One thing u must congratulate yourself on is your honesty and courage to share this experience.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I have noticed others having trouble around the 4 month mark. I know this was a preset reward time. You quit around the same time I did and this last week was pretty tough. I totally blocked out that slip and my immediate physical reaction. Until I posted it to you I forgot about it. Month 3 was easy because I accepted the fact that I physically can not drink. Yet when the cravings came into play I blocked it out. Had I just remembered that slip and all the reasons I quit I could have avoided a week of anxiety. I am afraid for you that your slip told you that you actually can behave. Of course we can behave, but only for a time. Even though we haven't dug a ditch for ourselves yet we know where this is going if we continue. My husband doesn't get the A thing either. He is a non drinker and I did an awesome job of hiding it (yeah me) He has no idea how close he was to having everything blow up, but I do. I find this last round of cravings has passed and I am going to do some yard work in the rain. AGAIN
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
now's the time

I think there's an important distinction to be made here. She isn't saying "I went out and had a glass of wine and it was awesome!" She's saying, "I went out and had a glass of wine and it wasn't worth it. I white-knuckled my way through the evening and thankfully made it through all the addictive thoughts it triggered."

I think it's probably true that once you cross the line once it's easier to cross it again, but seems like the same exercise of thinking it through to the conclusion can be used to prevent it.

I agree that it's important to be clear on the risks, but if slips and mishaps are given the third degree that may encourage people not to share.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

***double post. Sorry, computer hiccupped!
Old 06-09-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Arctic: You wrote that you answered me (about your husband) as follows: "I'm guessing (i dont know for sure) he thought I did such a good job not drinking for 4 months that I deserved a reward, and he thought it would make me happy.
No, he will never see me as a hard-core alcoholic and treat me as such."

All I can say is that this makes me feel uneasy. If you have indeed had severe problems with alcohol, this does not sound to me like your husband is aware of that. Anyone who could say that after four months of sobriety you might "deserve a reward" by drinking again, is not giving you the kind of support you deserve after all your wonderful success in trying to give it up. The illness is progressive and, if you have it , the last thing you would want to do is think that drinking might be some kind of "reward". It's like saying that a person with a severe life threatening allergy to shellfish might get a "reward" of a lobster dinner after abstaining from lobster for four months. You might say that one "teeny" glass of wine is not the same but this overlooks the subtlety of the slippery slope and the diabolical influence of the midbrain. Despite four months of sobriety, if you're any bit like the rest of us, there's got to be a "beast" down there in the primitive parts of your brain that is definitely not your friend and is doing all it can to get you to relapse. Do you have a severe drinking problem? Are you like the rest of us?

W.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I guess I should clarify, hubby is not an alcoholic, not a non-drinker.
And I wasn't trying to minimize my drinking by saying I drank around campfires, I'm saying that's how I think my hubby views it.
I am quite aware I had a very bad drinking problem, and I already reiterated that it was a bad idea to have the glass of wine. I'm not sure why you are bringing up all those posts??
I brought them up because, in part, you titled this thread "A teeny-tiny confession" and I clearly remembered so much of what you have posted in the last several months being anything BUT "teeny-tiny". Our AV loves to minimize and Artic, whether you believe it or not, I care about you and don't want to see your beast get it's hold back on you.

Believe me, I certainly do not relish bringing up something that may make someone else uncomfortable (and that person think I purposely set out to be mean) but frankly I'd rather be thought of as that then stay silent about such a potentially dangerous choice.

Like I said earlier, and truly mean, I hope that glass of wine you chose to drink last night has truly given you better insight into your drinking of alcohol.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
Russian roulette is a game I chose not to play.
this.

i found that i would always have a couple of beers, and control it just fine..

and then the next week i would do the same based on my new found knowledge and commitment to control

and then the next week i would end up in jail, or a 5 day bender