Notices

Scared of going down the same road

Old 06-08-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared of going down the same road

The niggling feeling that my drinking might be a problem is now becoming an all consuming obsession. When I was a teenager and first started drinking there were times where I blacked out or embarrassed myself, but I chalked these up to experience. I'd tell myself I can learn to drink responsibly and I would for half a year, then a couple of months, then a few weeks and now I can only go a few days. I'm a student so big drinking isn't seen as a problem. I desperately don't want to be out of control yet it happens frequently, even when I just go out for a meal or 'a couple'. I have horrible feelings of guilt and self-loathing whenever I drink. Even if I remember the whole night and didn't do anything shocking.

My dad and his dad (nature vs nuture...) are both alcoholics. It killed my grandfather and my father has lost everything, his job, his house, his friends and his family (I haven't seen him in over 2 years) all because of drinking. I know he started like me and I'm terrified of going down the same road. I want to stop before I start but I don't know where to turn. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Don't drink. It really is as simple as that. Don't think about your dad and his and his dad's dad. For you, it causes remorse, guilt, shame and pain. Walk away then because those feelings don't get better.

And welcome to SR! You found a great place to talk about all of this!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Tam's right on the button, rocketgirl. Forget about anyone else's story - your drinking is causing you problems - that's more than enough reason to stop.

welcome aboard

D
Old 06-08-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, don't drink. Get rid of the alcohol in your house. Don't buy anymore. Take a hard look at your life and figure out what you're medicating away with alcohol. In other words, face your demons. You don't have to end up like your father and grandfather.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Think of it like an allergy. some people cant eat nuts and other foods.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You're going to have to put the bottle down, that's all. If you don't it will just get worse with time. Stop now and avoid a lot of regrets when you're older.