Notices

When was the first time you got drunk?

Old 06-08-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When was the first time you got drunk?

This question may very well have been posed in the past but since I'm fairly new to the site I thought it would be an interesting thread. When was the first time you got drunk? Why did you do it, what and how much did you drink, what did you do and how did it make you feel etc.? Again I apologize if this is redundant for some. I'm hoping this constructively bonds us all a bit more with mutual experiences.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmm...really drunk? Probably about 17. Played a drinking game (quarters) with screwdrivers as my beverage! Not smart....was very sick that night and next day. Could never drink vodka again!! Still continued to play drinking games though, but stuck to beer.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I honestly couldn't say. I think I was about 15 and I drank because I could. We're an alcoholic family, so I've literally been drinking for as long as I can remember.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was 16 and known as a "good girl". Me and my other cheerleading buddies were in her Dad's car on a Saturday night and we all decided to buy a bottle of booze to get drunk at the local hangout. None of us knew what was good, so we talked some older man into buying us the alcohol. A couple of bottles of Boone's Farm, Seagrams 7 and that red cherry gin (cannot remember name).

After consuming that horrible mix, we woke up in our friends house crashed on the floor with the worst hangover imaginable. The puke in the yard and carpet was blood red and it was Father's Day. Went home and sat at the kitchen table for a family dinner and couldn't even look at the food. Swore I would never drink again.

We still get together and talk about it today.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Scott6433 View Post
I'm hoping this constructively bonds us all a bit more with mutual experiences.
In my opinion, seeking sobriety constructively bonds us...not retelling drinking adventures.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand your opinion, and I agree that telling drinking stories is of limited use. But I think the intention was to look for causes and/or triggers to better understand the nature of our addiction. I really believe I turned to drink partly because of constant early conditioning, for example.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First time I got drunk (not the first time I drank) I was 15. At a summer pool party but everyone was in the house drinking. Kids and adults. I scammed some beers from the fridge and made my way out to the pool. Only other person there was this little kid repeatedly diving off the diving board. I cracked the first beer, a second, and somewhere through the third I noticed the kid was no longer diving off the board. Curious, I got up, happened to look in the pool. He was face down at the bottom. I jumped in and pulled him out. An adult happened to come down to the pool as I struggled to get the kid out of the water. Mouth to mouth was applied, kid was okay. He'd had an asthma attack under water. His parents thanked me profusely. I was a hero. I was a real person.

First time I got high I lay on a field in New England on a clear starry night. Looking up at the stars with a buzz growing in my head I had a flash of insight, everything made sense, and I felt connected. Alive.

For years I chased that sense of connection. I found both in recovery.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scott6433 View Post
This question may very well have been posed in the past but since I'm fairly new to the site I thought it would be an interesting thread. When was the first time you got drunk? Why did you do it, what and how much did you drink, what did you do and how did it make you feel etc.? Again I apologize if this is redundant for some. I'm hoping this constructively bonds us all a bit more with mutual experiences.
Hello Scott,

A very interesting question :-) I first got drunk when I was 8 years old. Why?...My friends mom bought it for us, she drank a bit ;-)...How much?...Rolling Rock pony bottles, as many as it took for me to pass out!!

Never apologize for any question my friend. It's questions like this that will assist us greatly in our journey to self discovery!!

Have a great day, keep the questions coming :-)

Love,

CS
Old 06-08-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
now's the time

14, when I was still shy. It was my first "real high school party"... Meaning co-ed and involving drugs and alcohol. Everyone got obliterated and I remember snuggling with a boy named Ilya who had beautiful curly hair. I also got another boy's phone number, who I was so incapable of talking to sober that I had a friend call and pretend to be me .

It wasn't full speed ahead from there. It was only every once and a while. But throughout high school there was a very strong link between drinking and sexual experimentation. The social norm seemed to be that drunk behavior was treated as extra-cannon, which worked for me and my shyness.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I remember having a bit of a beer when I was about 10 and thinking it tasted horrible. Then at 13/14 I remember getting really drunk on Napoleon brandy...and that was the start of a hazy 10 years that I can't really remember all that much. I remember feeling invincible and on top of the world. That soon led to feelings of despair when I realised I couldn't stop drinking or using drugs.

Natom.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

those were another set of "fuzzy years" as I've been too drunk to remember stuff!

today I am sober.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was trying to think when was the first time I drank recently and I am not sure. It was either when I was on a music course and I had a couple of cans of cider and got really giddy with friends, or it was at a family party. That was the one that struck me though because I remember having a really chilled drunk and being sat out around a bonfire listening to a woman talk absolute drivel but I didn't care cos I was drunk. I left that party with a few cans of beer in my handbag. I was 12 then and I frequently had little amounts of booze hidden under my bed. A bit of a warning sign there when I look back at it.