Notices

New here

Old 06-08-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hello everyone, Im a 23 year old male from the UK and realise I need to stop drinking. I have not yet had a drink today, I usually start around 1-2PM.
I drink around 25 units daily,(equal to 25 shots of vodka) and have done this for the past two months, and previous to this around 15 daily for two and a half years. Will I need help to do this safely? Or can I just try to stop?
Old 06-08-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi 23UK

Like I just said to someone else, none of us can predict what might happen - you could be ok, but you may not, too.

I reckon the best thing is always to see a Dr - it's best to be safe

D
Old 06-08-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

23uk I don't know if you can do it safely it is up to you to seek medical help if needed. That is quite a bit of alcohol daily...my liver hurts just thinking about it!!!

I would seek medical advice if needed....if you are coming off make sure you drink plenty of fluids, try to get some sleep, see if a friend can be there for you, eat something, anything.

My best to you friend I have been there...many times I checked in with the ER and also have done it on my own.

I really think you will be okay...just don't do this alone...give a crisis line a call and if you want to try AA ring them up.

Thousands of us have gone through what you want to do and are now living sober lives, wonderful lives, no matter what age.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Best wishes and speak with a medical professional. You might be lucky and not have any issues, but there is always that chance. Withdrawl is not easy and support never hurts anyone.

Keep posting.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please do see a doctor for help in getting safely thru w/d. Alcohol w/d can be very dangerous.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR 23UK

How are you doing now? There are also many agencies in the UK who can help with addiction and who you can self refer to. Sometimes that's the best place to go as they have doctors there too and they can offer other types of support too. Your regular doctor should know what's available or you could do a google search for addiction agencies in your area, or phone drinkline. Hope you're okay x
Old 06-08-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hello mate,

Welcome to the forums. I'm 23, and in the UK also. My drug of choice was cocaine but I used it hand in hand with alcohol. Mainly hard spirits for about 10 years solid. We can't give medical advice on this forum....but I would go and see a doctor about stopping drinking as it can be dangerous if you do it on your own. You may have to do a gradual tapering off with the help of some prescription drugs or you may not have too. Just be honest with the doctor about your alcohol consumption.

Quitting is possible. I'm not going to sugarcoat it. It ain't easy. But if you want it you can get it. I've been clean and sober for about 13 months and I considered myself the worst of the worst. I just got to the end of my tether and gave up struggling. I go to Narcotics Anonymous...it's what works for me. There are lots of different recovery methods available to you out there. It doesn't matter what one you choose as long as it works for you. There should be a local alcohol service near you. I know there are loads in my area. I'd have a quick google and see what's out there. I'm on here every day if you ever want to message me about anything.

Take it one day at a time,

Natom.