Notices

Not drunk Friday night

Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not drunk Friday night

Thanks to this forum, I refused a beer at the ball game tonight that would have resulted in a regular night of drinking. Would not have happened without all of you. Tonight's threads have really made it clear my drinking is a serous problem. I have admitted more things and been more honest with my self about my drinking since becoming a member, the reality is shocking and a relief. I am still afraid to share with others. For some reason I feel like I did this to myself, I want to handle it myself.
Tomorrow will be the start of day four. From reading I know there are many tough days ahead of me
Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad to read this Carlyle

D
Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WTG, Carlyle!! Success Keep moving forward
Old 06-07-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I echo your sentiments Carlyle. First Friday night in maybe 6 years I haven't drank..and that was only 8 months of sober Fridays...prior to the 20 years of drunk ones before that....
As each day passes this week...I realize more and more (wincing at each memory appearing randomly) what a drunk I've actually been.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The guide for this site says we should ask in the "newcomers" forum if we should join a specific forum. Any thoughts?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you Carlyle

D
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by carlyle View Post
Thanks to this forum, I refused a beer at the ball game tonight that would have resulted in a regular night of drinking. Would not have happened without all of you. Tonight's threads have really made it clear my drinking is a serous problem. I have admitted more things and been more honest with my self about my drinking since becoming a member, the reality is shocking and a relief. I am still afraid to share with others. For some reason I feel like I did this to myself, I want to handle it myself.
Tomorrow will be the start of day four. From reading I know there are many tough days ahead of me
Good job on day four friend!Im on day eighteen,there will be hard days ahead..I go from feeling I got this and am in control to really craving a beer and weak.Its a process for sure.Hang in there and great job!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by carlyle View Post
You can do this!!! I love your positive attitude and its awesome hearing this forum has made a difference for you. There is a whole new life waiting for you once you kick this alcohol thing, I promise you that. You can go back to doing the things you enjoy or that interest you again. The things drinking has taken you away from. Try and not think too far into the future, to avoid overwhelming yourself. Focus on each day you wake up, tell yourself you arent going to drink. The days will build on each other, and before you know it, everything starts to change.

Im honestly excited for you, because I know how great things get once you aren't polluted with the booze anymore. So much for me has changed in 2 years, its almost unreal. Take it slow, don't beat yourself up about the past or over any guilt you feel for being an "alcoholic". Beating yourself up about the past or letting your pride influence you keeps you down, and when you are down, you are more likely to give in to temptation. That is why alcoholism is such a tricky little devil. It keeps you down, almost in a prison of some sorts if you look at it that way. There is no shame in being an addict who is attempting to change things and get sober/healthy. Its admirable and something you should be proud of. You don't need to hide it or be embarrassed, because it can happen to anyone. Alcohol isnt picky, it doesnt matter if you are poor, rich, fat, white, black, educated, a redneck, or a beauty queen. It effects all sorts. Im glad you are here, hit me up if you ever have any questions or need any tips. Im not perfect, but Ive learned a bit in my own journey.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering

Well done carlyle. Yes, there are some tough days ahead - but keep reminding yourself that it doesn't stay tough. Things get easier and then so much better as a stable sobriety becomes the norm.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

usually i grab a six pack after work-drink a few-go to kick boxing-then get ready fir a drinking night. tonight i went to kick boxing came home and started a puzzle. Going on day 3. Can't sleep but At least I won't feel
Hung over at work tomorrow morning
Old 06-08-2013, 01:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Carlyle, Not drunk Friday night? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job fancy britches! In it together.

Thanks for all your responses! Woke up feeling proud of myself and positive about today. This has a lot to do with of all of you. I have never had much support in anything. I have always been aggressive and gritty the achieve. I guess that is why I am such a good drunk.

Thanks nighthawk for reassuring me I will like to do the thing things I used to but without alcohol. Funny... If that we're not true, I would end up doing nothing. Seems so crazy now.

Going to spend the day with family and not have to worry about how to get a drink or should I stop at the store with family in the car or leave right when we get home like they don't know where I am going.

A lot less to worry about when not drinking but the cravings can be so persuasive. Time to be gritty!