Notices

Is it normal...

Old 06-07-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it normal...

Hi, I have 33 days today. The mood swings seem to be improving, a bit, but I am noticing that I will have days where I am very motivated and energetic followed by days where I have zero motivation and energy. Some days almost resemble my prior hungover days, but I haven't drank in over a month! Just wondering if this is normal and if it will improve soon? I have so much I have neglected over the years, thanks to alcohol, and just want to be productive again. Thanks for reading
Old 06-07-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oops, meant to post this in the Newcomers to Recovery forum. Any way it can get moved or should I repost? Thanks!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know if it is 'normal' but it is definitely normal for *me*.

I've had a couple of days of headaches (don't usually get them anymore) and some days it is all I can do to drag myself around all day.

We have to remember that even life-long sober folks have good and bad days...maybe we're just more in-tune with our moods right now??

I don't know but, I'll be interested to hear from others on this
Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it's fairly normal. I'm going through it too! Patience, practice, persistence. That's a mantra I try to keep in mind... takes time to heal.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It took me a long time after getting sober to be productive again. I hope it takes you less time. It sounds like it might as you are feeling energetic and motivated some of the time. There's no need to rush anything though, give yourself time to heal x
Old 06-07-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Weather and hormones play a big part too, sober or not
Old 06-07-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've got about the same amount if time as you and sometimes I feel hungover even though I'm not. I think though some of the feelings I thought were due to drinking aren't, they're just my feelings.:-)
Old 06-07-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A month is pretty short.
Weird symptoms are the norm.
Med checks are prudent.
It all gets a hell of a lot better with persistence and support.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm just at 4.5 months sober and definitely get those feelings of great energy and then get really tired and feel the need to sleep a lot as well. I feel like that's slowly improving over time and anticipate it to get better as times progresses, which is yet another inspiration for me to stay completely away from the drinking.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I moved it.

I had other health things going on but it took me 3 months to feel consistently 'normal'.

We drank for years - it takes time for our bodies and minds to recover

D
Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
Hi, I have 33 days today. The mood swings seem to be improving, a bit, but I am noticing that I will have days where I am very motivated and energetic followed by days where I have zero motivation and energy. Some days almost resemble my prior hungover days, but I haven't drank in over a month! Just wondering if this is normal and if it will improve soon? I have so much I have neglected over the years, thanks to alcohol, and just want to be productive again. Thanks for reading

It takes time. So many of us in recovery think that as soon as we set the bottle down, everything magically goes right back to normal. It doesnt work that way. It takes time for your body and mind to heal. Think of how long you have abused yourself? It will take a while to undo all that damage. Take it slow, enjoy the positive days and fight like hell through the bad ones. The feelings you have now will pass and the bad days become lesser and lesser. Your emotions will be all over for the first few months, and I find its best to recognize this as a process of withdrawal and healing, and to not invest too much into your thoughts and feelings right now. They can be misleading to say the least. I promise things will level out, but dont think you can rush it. Learn through each stage though, that is super important. Good luck, I wish you many blessings.