Notices

Who knew that being sober would make me a reasonable person?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who knew that being sober would make me a reasonable person?

I started alcohol abstinence this April, I had two one-day slip-ups since April and am currently 3-1/2 weeks alcohol free.

I want to write a little about how I am the "real me" for the first time probably in my whole adult life. I didn't believe other peoples' testimonies about how abstinence has change their lives in very fundamental ways. I now see how alcohol made me an irrational and unfocused person. For the first time in my life, I was able to deal with a really uncomfortable, and sensitive issue regarding my son and his school with assertiveness, open-mindedness and with a calm attitude. I was able to accept where there were miscommunications and misunderstandings for all parties and remain on good terms with the school faculty. They actually thanked me for my "positive attitude in dealing with a sensitive and difficult situation." Wow. That is a first for me.

I have been thinking a lot about all of the truly wonderful, special people on this site who have had recent relapses. I want you to know that it does get better little by little. Even though I am still mourning the loss of my best friend, the bottle, and I still have to fight cravings, I am glad that I am getting my house, family and finances back in order.

I really had no idea that I was at heart a laid-back, reasonable person. I feel that even though I will have to struggle to stay sober, it will be worth it. We only get one life, so I want to make this one the best.

Thanks everyone on SR for the wisdom and support I have received. I am so fortunate that when I googled "help for alcoholism," SR popped up at the top of the list.

-First
Old 06-07-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome positive and reassuring post, thanks! Love this!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't believe I was such a miserable person to be around during my drinking days. I would technically be sober with a hangover, but I was short-tempered and impatient with everyone all day until I could get home for my elixir. I would snap at the slightest provocation, especially when dealing with people on the phone. I was never rude before. Without the booze, I actually smile at people now instead of scowl.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

A source of emulation.

Way to go!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome post! Very inspiring! Keep up the great work!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That was excellent, lstthings. I'm sure many here will be encouraged by your observations.

It's ironic - we drink to calm ourselves, to cope - and make life more enjoyable. Drinking turned me into a raging, confrontational mad woman. Drinking Hevyn was nothing like the real me. I'm so glad we are healing and getting better every day.

Congratulations on your 3-1/2 wks. Very proud of you.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Very nice.... I've found myself actually defusing volatile situations instead of jumping into the heat of battle to WIN. I'm kind of realizing that wining at its best is persuading people from an objective place and understanding that though they many be wrong and/or irrational it usually starts with good intentions. My brain and emotions are fusing together to become a decent Needless Drama Detector. Anyways; sorry for the ramble and glad you're doing well. I dried out in April too and Its getting soooo much better!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Wonderful post about hope and experience
Old 06-07-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have found myself to be a much more reasonable person since I quit drinking as well.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you First :
D
Old 06-07-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

SR is a miracle drug!!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great post regarding the positives in sobriety!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the positive messages!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Loving this post/thread. I'm so very early in my sobriety. I was a nightly wino...have been for quite a number of years. I have long thought of myself as quick tempered with a low frustration tolerance. I am often defensive and snarky....

Hmmmm...does this perhaps mean the booze had something to do with my temperament? I am encouraged! Perhaps I may learn some patience and calm in this new adventure.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations...

Hello Firstthingsfirst....

I am recovering from co-dependency and your words reminded me of what I once said to my ex-boyfriend....

Several months after we parted ways, I told him that I loved the "Real Him" so much more than the person he was showing to the rest of the world....

"That" person was the one who intimidated me and couldn't be with long term....

I am so glad that you are at a point in your recovery where you are beginning to love and embrace the real you.....

Wishing you the very best,

Linda
Old 06-07-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by 1stthingsfirst View Post
I started alcohol abstinence this April, I had two one-day slip-ups since April and am currently 3-1/2 weeks alcohol free.

I want to write a little about how I am the "real me" for the first time probably in my whole adult life. I didn't believe other peoples' testimonies about how abstinence has change their lives in very fundamental ways. I now see how alcohol made me an irrational and unfocused person. For the first time in my life, I was able to deal with a really uncomfortable, and sensitive issue regarding my son and his school with assertiveness, open-mindedness and with a calm attitude. I was able to accept where there were miscommunications and misunderstandings for all parties and remain on good terms with the school faculty. They actually thanked me for my "positive attitude in dealing with a sensitive and difficult situation." Wow. That is a first for me.

I have been thinking a lot about all of the truly wonderful, special people on this site who have had recent relapses. I want you to know that it does get better little by little. Even though I am still mourning the loss of my best friend, the bottle, and I still have to fight cravings, I am glad that I am getting my house, family and finances back in order.

I really had no idea that I was at heart a laid-back, reasonable person. I feel that even though I will have to struggle to stay sober, it will be worth it. We only get one life, so I want to make this one the best.

Thanks everyone on SR for the wisdom and support I have received. I am so fortunate that when I googled "help for alcoholism," SR popped up at the top of the list.

-First

Excellent post!! It will continue to get better and better too. Just wait till you really start to surprise yourself and find there really aren't any limits to what you can accomplish when you have a clear head. Congrats!!! I am proud of you.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Loving this post/thread. I'm so very early in my sobriety. I was a nightly wino...have been for quite a number of years. I have long thought of myself as quick tempered with a low frustration tolerance. I am often defensive and snarky....

Hmmmm...does this perhaps mean the booze had something to do with my temperament? I am encouraged! Perhaps I may learn some patience and calm in this new adventure.
After 38 days of sobriety I am still impatient and snarky, but I am dealing better with frustration and awkward social situations.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post

I thought I was a quick-tempered, snarky person, too! Perhaps us newbies will find more and more things about ourselves that we find surprising! Very excited about my journey of sobriety.