Notices

Day 9

Old 06-07-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9

I've never posted in any type of online forum, so this is strange for me. But, I'm on Day 9 of sobriety from alcohol and I feel like I need constant comfort, support, reassurance. I've been all sorts of up and down since Day 1. Vallium in the first few days helped a bit but, I'm on my own here now and need to learn how to cope with work, anxiety etc, without alcohol or prescriptions. After 10 years as a high functioning alcoholic, I just don't know how well this will work. I sat through half of an AA meeting the other day. May try to go to one tonight. Each day so far, I've felt like I would for sure end my day with a drink, like there was just no way I could get home from the office and not have a glass, or 6, of wine. But so far, I've made it through each day.

I feel Ok now, but in three hours, I may be posting about how horrible everything is. Anyone know how long the insane mood swings last?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 9! As for mood swings, it's just going to vary from person to person. I still have them. They are lessening in frequency. Hang in there! It's worth it.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am with you... I do not know how long the mood swings last. Things will feel different for quite a while. There are many, like me, who share your experience. this site too has been great support for me. Just know when you think of filling that glass that we are all in your corner to help. you are not alone.

You are doing great! Stay strong.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are doing great, concentrate on how you are NOT going to feel. Hungover, ill, stressed, regretful and on and on. Those 6 glasses of wine at the end of the day are great, but think of waking in the morning which is an even better feeling,.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there! Congrats on day 9. When I first got sober (after 12 years of drinking, about 7 years of hard downward spiral drinking) I felt the same way. Like, this was all I knew and somehow I was expected to make this COMPLETE overhaul of my life! I didn't know how to do anything without drugs/booze. It *is* uncomfortable at first, but the thing is to keep doing those things, and they normalize with time. It took me going to *a lot* of social functions, being really awkward and panicky and just wanting to go home, to be able to just talk to people and feel alright sober. (I'm still socially awkward, but it's not freak-outs anymore) Anyway, I had a relapse, and I'm on day 5 now, and having crazy mood swings. I just try to remind myself that it's not *me* so much as my brain detoxing, and that I'll mellow out with time. You will too. Stay strong - This will get much better.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by swizzlekiss View Post
I just try to remind myself that it's not *me* so much as my brain detoxing, and that I'll mellow out with time.
Great perspective! Will remember this
Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, it's very helpful to hear about others' stories. I still struggle with the idea of never drinking again... that seems crazy to me. I feel like I just have to force myself through these next few weeks and then it will be easier.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober9 View Post
Thanks everyone, it's very helpful to hear about others' stories. I still struggle with the idea of never drinking again... that seems crazy to me. I feel like I just have to force myself through these next few weeks and then it will be easier.
I'm the same. I find it overwhelming to think about 'never' drinking again. Taking it one day at a time sounds cliche but in early sobriety I think it's crucial.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Sober9 - glad you found us. I hope you'll feel less anxious being here.

9 days sober is wonderful - but it's still early for you. The way you're feeling is normal. I was very emotional & nervous. It will all settle down. Each day you'll heal a little more. Be proud of yourself for wanting a better life. By all means, keep posting when you feel on edge. We want to help.