Notices

First Post

Old 06-06-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

I'm 40. Two beautiful blonde girls (4&9) and a great wife of 15 yrs. I have slowly over the last 20 yrs lost the ability to drink with control so here I am. I can't define the exact moment it spiraled because for years I was the happy guy by the grille on Saturday afternoon. I'm still that guy with one exception, I've started blacking out. And when that happens apparently I'm a different guy. To this point it's been over indulgence, falling down, and general self embarrassment but I sure cant let it evolve into driving or abusiveness. My wife addressed her concerns and I denied it at first but when the episodes became more frequent I knew it was time to make a change. 4- days in. Withdrawal cravings bring me here. This is gonna be tough. I love the taste of beer and red wine with food in addition to the buzz.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Skydawg. I know exactly how you feel and am on day 2. If you haven't seen your dr, you might want to consider it. I saw mine today and let me tell you it's so much easier with help. Might even consider looking into an AA meeting or something like that. It's a long road, but you'll make it.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Skydawg! It's great to have you here. You'll find a lot of support & encouragement.

Drinking changed my personality, too. It wasn't always that way - but at the end of my drinking career I could never predict what would happen once it was in my system. The safest thing was for me to stop all together. It is tough in the beginning - but once you get through those first few days you'll begin to feel so much better. Glad you have made this big decision - you'll never regret it.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Skydawg View Post
I'm 40. Two beautiful blonde girls (4&9) and a great wife of 15 yrs. I have slowly over the last 20 yrs lost the ability to drink with control so here I am. I can't define the exact moment it spiraled because for years I was the happy guy by the grille on Saturday afternoon. I'm still that guy with one exception, I've started blacking out. And when that happens apparently I'm a different guy. To this point it's been over indulgence, falling down, and general self embarrassment but I sure cant let it evolve into driving or abusiveness. My wife addressed her concerns and I denied it at first but when the episodes became more frequent I knew it was time to make a change. 4- days in. Withdrawal cravings bring me here. This is gonna be tough. I love the taste of beer and red wine with food in addition to the buzz.
It seems super tough at first, but try and not say I will never drink again. Say I wont drink today as you wake up and resolve to follow through with that. You have so many positive things going with your children, wife, and life in general and you need to view alcohol as something that is a very real threat to all of this. Its great you are trying to take charge of this now before it gets worse, and I promise you, it will definitly get worse if you dont deal with this now.

My dad drank, he was once a very successful bank president. We had a nice house, he drank nightly, but it wasnt overtly obvious or out of control. We went on vacations and had nice things. Well when my mom left him, things went DOWN and fast. In 5 years he lost that job, his license to drive and his license to trade (financial). He lost the house, then the one after that, and then again. He lost me and my sisters trust, and he lost the connection he had always had with his family. He was in and out of detox, the last time blowing a .42. My sister passed from cancer at age 22, and he hit bottom.......the very bottom.Every single thing he had worked for was gone. Since that time, he has gotten sober and is on 4-5 years or so. He worked on gaining the trust back of his family and has become a changed man in more ways than one. He now works as a substance abuse counselor and me and him are very close. I too am an alcoholic and have 2 years of sobriety under my belt. I couldn't be more proud of him than I am at this point in my life, but this is an example of what can and will happen if you let alcohol control you and your life. It shows no mercy when it comes to what it will take from you if you allow it.

Withdrawal SUCKS, but its temporary. You want to be there to experience the amazing things your life can offer. Two healthy kids who need you alert and attentive. Think of all the hobbies and things you love doing and focus on those things. You have the chance to live a big, amazing life, so stick with this and do your best. You wont regret it.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're here wanting to make changes in your life. It's not easy but it's really worth it. I used to love the taste of wine and it's buzz - not anymore! I wouldn't trade my sobriety for anything. You can do this if you want it bad enough.