Notices

Hungry Lonely Tired

Old 06-06-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hungry Lonely Tired

I know for a fact that I'm Hungry and Tired. I know what to do about those. Eat and go to bed early. I don't know if I'm Lonely or if my addictive thinking is glamorizing how "things used to be" at the local pub. I just drove by on my way home from my volunteer work and saw a few cars there that I recognized. Honestly, I liked hanging out there and the attention I got from a few of the guys. My logical side knows that it was all bs and part of the bar scene game and that a bar is no place for me to be. Maybe I was using that for the attention as a replacement for the attention I'm not getting in the relationship I am in with my bf. I know I could go to a meeting but I'm exhausted and I frankly don't trust myself to not be home...at least I'm safe here at home on the couch in my jammies and not drinking. Maybe I just need to stop thinking......
Old 06-06-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You're not alone. There's like a hundred of us online.

Glad you're with us!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sometimes we overthink things, and dwell on them. Try not to think about the times at the pub. If you want to think about something, think about how rotten you felt after a night at the pub.

I'd suggest eating something and going to bed. Can't come to any harm in that.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel like that too passing by the bar where I just to drink. I knew everybody there. It was like a second home.
Then I start thinking the things that happened that were told to me that I don't remember, the huge amounts of money I spent and the following mornings being embarrassed and sick as a dog...

I know my life is so much better now. Every morning I wake up without hangover I feel so blessed. And the best part is that it's getting better everyday

Hang in the Clover! You're doing great!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to dislike being alone and would go to great lengths to avoid spending time by myself. I was so surprised in recovery to find that I not only loved time by myself, I needed it. It has become part of recovery - finding time to spend with me, quietly, just being. Give yourself a little time to get used to the changes in your life.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Funny that you mentioned that Anna. I was just thinking how I needed to have people around all the time or music playing loud, and now I'm totally the opposite. I love being in a quiet room just folding clothes or reading...
Old 06-06-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel like just being conscious of HALT helps, even if you can't always prevent one of them. That way you can predict the craving before it happens (think to myself 'Rennet, you're hungry and tired right now and you won't be eating for another 2 hours, so be prepared for that craving soon')
Old 06-06-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The old "grass is greener" outlook. The pub isnt really that good. Look at all the positives about your new life and weigh them up against a night at the pub. Maybe you need a new hobbie to go with the quality time you now have spare????
Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
I know for a fact that I'm Hungry and Tired. I know what to do about those. Eat and go to bed early. I don't know if I'm Lonely or if my addictive thinking is glamorizing how "things used to be" at the local pub. I just drove by on my way home from my volunteer work and saw a few cars there that I recognized. Honestly, I liked hanging out there and the attention I got from a few of the guys. My logical side knows that it was all bs and part of the bar scene game and that a bar is no place for me to be. Maybe I was using that for the attention as a replacement for the attention I'm not getting in the relationship I am in with my bf. I know I could go to a meeting but I'm exhausted and I frankly don't trust myself to not be home...at least I'm safe here at home on the couch in my jammies and not drinking. Maybe I just need to stop thinking......

Loneliness is unfortunately part of the sobriety process, especially when starting out. Its tough changing your habits, but its also tough that everything else changes too. These changes WILL be for the better, but you have to have faith. The hours go by slowly when you are starting recovery and you tend to be extra sensitive and emotional. Recognize this and take it for what it is. It wont always feel like this, I promise. Its the addiction mixed with withdrawal and healing...........all wrapped into a super fun ball of Crap, lol. Its no fun, but you will get over it and feel better. Stick with it. As you gain momentum and confidence, you can branch out and tackle some of things you find interesting that alcohol kept you away from.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Since I was lonely, angry, tired...and crying at some point today...5 days in...I'm glad to here it's normal (thanks for your post Nighthawk). I guess I think I should be just feeling normal and "getting on with things". I didn't want to do anything today. I did go out to a restaurant patio and sat in the sun for dinner. People were drinking all around me but it was okay. I read my book...wrote in my journal...but it's been a heck of a day all by lonesome...and with SR.